Why was or is your coach so great?

looking_north

Coach Jay Thaxton while he was at Shelbyville. He had a great relationship with his players, you hear the term used all the time "HE was a players Coach". As I have gotten older I really appreciate the fact he did not PLAY ANY POLITICS. Great man and still a great friend some 15 to 18 years later.

Coach Calvin Short of Gallatin High School.

I had the good fortune of having played for Coach Short from 1991-1993. During that time Coach Short led his teams to a 38-3 record and Two trips to the Clinic Bowl. One of which we were severely beaten by an outstanding Oak Ridge team filled with great players and coaches alike. Some of which I have had either the opportunity to play with in college or the privilige of coaching with on a high school staff. He also, one year later led the Green Wave to a State Championship over the Clinton Dragons in 1992 (which was his third title).

As a player I saw Coach Short like many of us see our fathers in our youth. I of course had the deepest respect for him, yet seemed to think that he was a little behind the times and not really all that progressive. As I have grown into manhood however, I have come to appreciate the timeless virtues of organization, structure and discipline that were the pillars of his illustrious career. Day in and day out for the better part of three years my days were filled with carefully crafted routines built on simplicity and tradition. Our off season workouts, spring and summer practice and of course our incredibly disciplined, highly structured and thoroughly organized regular season practices were as good as I have ever seen.

In addition, as I have had the privilige of coaching with great coaches who were unsuccessful in their attempts to beat Coach Short, I have developed a new found respect for his preparation skills and his overall coaching acumen. In fact, even Coach Roger Holmes, who I was told recently won a share of the 2A state title in Georgia, once told his staff at Beech about the difficulty of scheming against Coach Short. (I was on that staff along with two others who had either played for or coached with Coach Short.) It actually suprised me because my view of Coach Short at that time was that he was not particularly savvy as far as it pertained to play calling and schemes. Since then, however, I have reviewed in my mind and both in film study the methodical way in which he prepared his teams, and have been very impressed. And I can honestly say that in my two years as a starter I never saw anything from opposing teams that in the least bit suprised me, offensively or defensively.

I will finish with this, I am really glad that I played for Gallatin and particularly for Coach Short. I have since taken a moment to express my appreiciation to him, for the fond memories of having been a Green Wave and for the in the way in which he led his teams. I of course do and will continue to do things a bit differently than he did, but I often find myself doing and saying things that I know he taught us. I look at it as building on the foundation he laid, and it was a good foundation.

You don't win three state titles on accident!!!!!

QUOTE(learningthegame @ Jan 24 2007 - 01:14 PM) 826344082[/snapback]

Coach Calvin Short of Gallatin High School.

I had the good fortune of having played for Coach Short from 1991-1993. During that time Coach Short led his teams to a 38-3 record and Two trips to the Clinic Bowl. One of which we were severely beaten by an outstanding Oak Ridge team filled with great players and coaches alike. Some of which I have had either the opportunity to play with in college or the privilige of coaching with on a high school staff. He also, one year later led the Green Wave to a State Championship over the Clinton Dragons in 1992 (which was his third title).

As a player I saw Coach Short like many of us see our fathers in our youth. I of course had the deepest respect for him, yet seemed to think that he was a little behind the times and not really all that progressive. As I have grown into manhood however, I have come to appreciate the timeless virtues of organization, structure and discipline that were the pillars of his illustrious career. Day in and day out for the better part of three years my days were filled with carefully crafted routines built on simplicity and tradition. Our off season workouts, spring and summer practice and of course our incredibly disciplined, highly structured and thoroughly organized regular season practices were as good as I have ever seen.

In addition, as I have had the privilige of coaching with great coaches who were unsuccessful in their attempts to beat Coach Short, I have developed a new found respect for his preparation skills and his overall coaching acumen. In fact, even Coach Roger Holmes, who I was told recently won a share of the 2A state title in Georgia, once told his staff at Beech about the difficulty of scheming against Coach Short. (I was on that staff along with two others who had either played for or coached with Coach Short.) It actually suprised me because my view of Coach Short at that time was that he was not particularly savvy as far as it pertained to play calling and schemes. Since then, however, I have reviewed in my mind and both in film study the methodical way in which he prepared his teams, and have been very impressed. And I can honestly say that in my two years as a starter I never saw anything from opposing teams that in the least bit suprised me, offensively or defensively.

I will finish with this, I am really glad that I played for Gallatin and particularly for Coach Short. I have since taken a moment to express my appreiciation to him, for the fond memories of having been a Green Wave and for the in the way in which he led his teams. I of course do and will continue to do things a bit differently than he did, but I often find myself doing and saying things that I know he taught us. I look at it as building on the foundation he laid, and it was a good foundation.

You don't win three state titles on accident!!!!!

before i moved to Murfreesboro after my 8th grade year i played at gallatin Jr high school and when we did spring practice when i was in 8th grade(didnt know i was moving) we rode the bus to the high school to practice and we were doing some drills and coach short walked by and was watching us and after i did the drill coach short made the comment that i looked like a football player. talk about giving a little 8th grader some confidence and making him feel good i was on top of the world I am happy i became a RIverdale WARRIOR but i will never forget the day coach Short made that comment to me

• 2 weeks later...