Why do coaches do some things they do?

jrdcfan

Team gets beat by 44 points. Coach only has 11 players on bench due to sickness. 5 start, 3 sub during the whole game. 3 min left in 4th qtr call time out to sub 3 of the 8 players that have been playing. Then with 2 min left point for the other 3 freshman to go in don't use a time out they play 25 secs. What are you telling those players?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(worden55 @ Jan 24 2007 - 01:58 PM) 826344227[/snapback]

probably figured they couldn'nt score 44 points anyway so why call a timeout.

Well, one was wasted for the other 3 they could not score 44 points either. I'm just wonder why you would'nt give them more playing time. They scored 4 pts in less than 2 minutes of another game with only 14 being scored the whole game. The main starters and others can't score either, if they could they would not get beat so bad every game. If they are not good enough to play longer then 25 sec or a minute in every game you lose. Why not have the guts to tell them they are no good and quite wasting their time.

QUOTE(worden55 @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:35 PM) 826344272[/snapback]

Usually when I see kids from the bench come in when the game is hopeless or they are leading by a ton, I usually see why they are bench players. There are some exceptions, but usually not.

I agree. The coach is just trying to be nice by putting them in at the end of an otherwise unchangable outcome. As a bench player myself in middle school I was happy for my 30 seconds of play. I was smart enough to know then that I wasn't ready at the time. I worked my way up and I suspect so will the players you are talking about. If you are really saying that the bench players are just as good/bad as the starters then I guess it doesn't really matter.

QUOTE(worden55 @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:35 PM) 826344272[/snapback]

Usually when I see kids from the bench come in when the game is hopeless or they are leading by a ton, I usually see why they are bench players. There are some exceptions, but usually not.

Well in this case I think the bench players could be those who could help them win some of the close games they have played. I have heard some players that start smoke, drink and have a good time. So they run out of energy too quick and cant keep up with the pace. Coach dont seem to care lets just keep them in their until the game is lost. I think they have some talent on the bench that needs working with. I feel a couple of these will make a big difference in the next couple of years. If they hang in there.

QUOTE(AEOTB @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:43 PM) 826344282[/snapback]

I agree. The coach is just trying to be nice by putting them in at the end of an otherwise unchangable outcome. As a bench player myself in middle school I was happy for my 30 seconds of play. I was smart enough to know then that I wasn't ready at the time. I worked my way up and I suspect so will the players you are talking about. If you are really saying that the bench players are just as good/bad as the starters then I guess it doesn't really matter.

But if they are as good and young then why not let them have more playing time to improve for the next 3 years instead of have a losing team forever. I am sure they are happy with the little playing time they get or they would not still be practicing everyday like the starters. I feel they are deciated and won't to play but I dont feel they are getting the chance they deserve.

QUOTE(AEOTB @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:43 PM) 826344282[/snapback]

They will work their way up, if they have the mental toughness and determination that you had.

QUOTE(jrdcfan @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826344254[/snapback]

Well, one was wasted for the other 3 they could not score 44 points either. I'm just wonder why you would'nt give them more playing time. They scored 4 pts in less than 2 minutes of another game with only 14 being scored the whole game. The main starters and others can't score either, if they could they would not get beat so bad every game. If they are not good enough to play longer then 25 sec or a minute in every game you lose. Why not have the guts to tell them they are no good and quite wasting their time.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Are you a parent or one of the subs or could you be one of the ones who quit?

QUOTE(jrdcfan @ Jan 24 2007 - 01:35 PM) 826344196[/snapback]

Team gets beat by 44 points. Coach only has 11 players on bench due to sickness. 5 start, 3 sub during the whole game. 3 min left in 4th qtr call time out to sub 3 of the 8 players that have been playing. Then with 2 min left point for the other 3 freshman to go in don't use a time out they play 25 secs. What are you telling those players?

Consider this. I know coaches who have not put players in simialr game situations simply to keep them from embarrassing themselves. . . and their parents. On the other hand, the coach may be telling the kids exactly what their worth to the team is. Ask the coach and see what he says.

The original question was...."Why do coaches do some things they do?"

Answer....they are human beings that are at the same time coaches. Coaches..... they have to work with what they have. Coaches to me are like refs......what are they thinking in the first place.....who in their right mind would want to be a coach or a ref. Answer....someone that loves the games more than they do anything else. They are questioned and criticized about everything they do. They love the game so much they will miss time with their own families to get all the above.....chasing after a few minutes of glory, glory that in most cases never comes. He/she never makes the right decision and is always under the scrutinity of enemies, fans, and parents....and he/she is envied by all. You either love him or hate him.....you will get your chance to do both. He's either a genius or an idiot......your the one that get's to decide. But the fact remains......he/she is human just like you. What makes you do the things you do? That question may help you decide why he does what he does.

I've had the opportunity to coach a little.....I've had parents ask me why is my son at the bottom of the batting order....I say, "Your son isn't hitting good enough to be any higher in the order". They ask, "Don't you think it would help his confidence if you moved him up in the order." I reply, "Is that fair the rest of the team to move him up past the ones that are successful." But they still don't understand. If a kid wants to they can move up with some hard work and a little time. My advice is be patient and let the coach do what he thinks is right.....and don't complain about stuff like that in front of you kids.....it undermines the team.