Do you use the bench?

Morton

I believe Forrest has one of the best, deepest benches in Single A. We start 4 Juniors and a Sophomore. Have at least 5-6 more players, 1 Senior who has been awesome this year and the rest are mostly Sophomores and Freshman, all of these players have been going in and doing great. Future looks bright in Chapel Hill! Go Lady Rockets!!!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Feb 2 2007 - 12:21 AM) 826355501[/snapback]

Whatever happened to "the best five play", regardless if they are "upperclassmen" or not. Is it disrespecting to the "upperclassmen" if they are the one's coming off of the bench to give a freshman who started a rest? Once again, your mindset always tells you that the "young ones" are the ones on the bench at the end of the game. I can only hope that you are not a coach.

What is the purpose of high school basketball? If winning is the only purpose of having a high school basketball team, then you are correct. Have you played high school athletics? Were you a Superstar? (Division I) Are you a parent? Have you coached? My only hope is when your child is a senior, and the coach plays all underclassmen in front of her or him. Talk about things you know from experience.

QUOTE(sumnercountybball @ Feb 5 2007 - 08:27 PM) 826359763[/snapback]

What is the purpose of high school basketball? If winning is the only purpose of having a high school basketball team, then you are correct. Have you played high school athletics? Were you a Superstar? (Division I) Are you a parent? Have you coached? My only hope is when your child is a senior, and the coach plays all underclassmen in front of her or him. Talk about things you know from experience.

The purpose of playing ANY game is to win. To answer your questions, that would be yes, no (I did play in college), yes I am a parent and yes I am a coach (not high school). If my daughter does not start when she is a senior (although she does start as a sophmore), then it would be her own fault. I have always told my daughter that her playing time depends on her. You have to out work the other person i.e. practice harder, practice longer, practice on your own, etc. If someone starts over her that is better (regardless of age), then her instructions are to work harder and EARN her position back. Trust me, I have experienced ALL of it.

Sounds like rec ball mentality to me........I pay therefore my daughter should play as much as the next one. Our kids will learn a lot more about themselves and their abilities if we stop blowing smoke and tell them how it really is. Best players play.......NOT the oldest ones.

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Feb 6 2007 - 12:37 AM) 826360030[/snapback]

The purpose of playing ANY game is to win. To answer your questions, that would be yes, no (I did play in college), yes I am a parent and yes I am a coach (not high school). If my daughter does not start when she is a senior (although she does start as a sophmore), then it would be her own fault. I have always told my daughter that her playing time depends on her. You have to out work the other person i.e. practice harder, practice longer, practice on your own, etc. If someone starts over her that is better (regardless of age), then her instructions are to work harder and EARN her position back. Trust me, I have experienced ALL of it.

Sounds like rec ball mentality to me........I pay therefore my daughter should play as much as the next one. Our kids will learn a lot more about themselves and their abilities if we stop blowing smoke and tell them how it really is. Best players play.......NOT the oldest ones.

You pretty much beat me to this reply after I read sumner's comments. You play to win. Whether that means starting five freshmen, five seniors, or any combination in between. The fact that you have been on the team for four years is irrelevant if you are not one of the best options on the team to be on the floor during crunch time.

Responding to the theme of this thread, I'd say it depends on your team. If your core group (defined as those you can play in a tight district game) is only 5-7 girls, then they should get the bulk of the playing time. If you have 2-4 more that can come in and help give the core group a blow without killing you, then you are lucky. Playing underclassmen just to get experience when they aren't ready for varsity action is irresponsible. That is what JV schedules are for.

QUOTE(westtennsports @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826360337[/snapback]

You pretty much beat me to this reply after I read sumner's comments. You play to win. Whether that means starting five freshmen, five seniors, or any combination in between. The fact that you have been on the team for four years is irrelevant if you are not one of the best options on the team to be on the floor during crunch time.

Responding to the theme of this thread, I'd say it depends on your team. If your core group (defined as those you can play in a tight district game) is only 5-7 girls, then they should get the bulk of the playing time. If you have 2-4 more that can come in and help give the core group a blow without killing you, then you are lucky. Playing underclassmen just to get experience when they aren't ready for varsity action is irresponsible. That is what JV schedules are for.

As the one who started this thread, I must say it has been interesting reading. As always, I learn so many different views via this blog. Thanks! I must say that I agree that the best five should be on the court. I also believe that if a girl keeps making the team, then they deserve their playing time as a Junior/Senior. I also agree that JV is the training ground for future varsity players. What if you are in a district/region with very little competition or even teams for the JV? How do you build varsity players when their JV team has few games or very little competition in JV? Again, just curious to know if others see this same scenario in their HS programs, and if so... how do you overcome it to build players skills for varsity (outside of AAU of course)? Thoughts??