Region X Individual Tourney

theville007

QUOTE(dragon12 @ Feb 3 2007 - 03:53 AM) 826356746[/snapback]

Not to diminish the accomplishment of being crowned a four time regional champ, but I dont think it has happened since the private/public split. I won the region twice, but that was by shear luck, but winning the region four times is a great accomplishment. I just hope Wright can live up to the expectations. I'm sure he can because he is a great wrestler and has worked hard to earn the respect that he has.

Dragons forever, Mustangs NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Wright has more than lived up to his expectations. In fact, I don't know what else anyone can expect of him. In three years he won Region all three years, placed third at State, and won a State Championship. This year he's already beat the number two ranked wrestler in his weight. He won OW at Bradley and Ryan (both EXTREMELY tough tournaments). What else do you want?

QUOTE(dragon12 @ Feb 3 2007 - 03:53 AM) 826356746[/snapback]

Not to diminish the accomplishment of being crowned a four time regional champ, but I dont think it has happened since the private/public split. I won the region twice, but that was by shear luck, but winning the region four times is a great accomplishment. I just hope Wright can live up to the expectations. I'm sure he can because he is a great wrestler and has worked hard to earn the respect that he has.

Dragons forever, Mustangs NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Wright has more than lived up to the expectations. In fact, I don't know what else anyone can expect of him. In three years he won Region all three years, placed third at State, and won a State Championship. This year he's already beat the number two ranked wrestler in his weight. He won OW at Bradley and Ryan (both EXTREMELY tough tournaments). What else do you want?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this is to the coaches mostly. Where does Wright stand in the history of Memphis wrestling if he wins 4 regions titles and back-to-back state championships? It seems like he might be the best since the public/private split, along with the Marables. Has anyone won back-to-back in DI out of Memphis? He is proof that if Memphis has the coaches and programs to compete with the rest of the state, but baseball and football keep distracting the athletes. Brandon didn't have a wrestling family, he didn't move to Memphis from the North, Florida, or California, and he wasn't wrestling from the age of 3 like so many other wrestlers of his level. He just committed early to work hard at wrestling and listened to some very good coaches. He has never gotten in the kind of trouble that has damaged so many other talented wresters' careers, and his grades have always been pretty good. If more kids had that kind of discipline, Memphis would be a strong wrestling area, and more kids could win scholarships to help them get to college. But my main point was just to ask the old Memphis coaches and fans where he stands in the history of Memphis wrestling (public and overall). Thanks and good luck this weekend.

171Bartlett,

You are right, it's not pressed at young ages like football and baseball. Traditionally, the best programs (CBHS, Germantown, Houston, Collierville, etc.) are the ones that have strong middle school programs to feed into the high school programs. However, wrestling is not "sexy" or popular to high school kids, and few Memphis parents have a wrestling background. The coaches that can "sell" wrestling to their kids will be able to motivate them to work harder in their down time, and more importantly, get them to summer camps and the open summer practices at CBHS, Germantown, Houston, etc. The coaches around Memphis love wrestling above all, and there is a wealth of coaches willing to help kids from all schools. As you put it, "marketing" is a challenge, but the coaches are not to blame. Cooperation from the schools and community will be crucial if Memphis wrestling hopes to step up to the next level.

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 5 2007 - 12:40 PM) 826359242[/snapback]

However, wrestling is not "sexy" or popular to high school kids, and As you put it, "marketing" is a challenge, but the coaches are not to blame. Cooperation from the schools and community will be crucial if Memphis wrestling hopes to step up to the next level.

My girls would disagree! They love wrestling for lots of reasons and I love it because it exposes them to young men with character, drive, discipline and determination, all of which are necessary in life to succeed at whatever they do.

I'm sure that's not the "way" to market it but if it increased the fan base, then maybe more schools would support it.

QUOTE(wrestling fan @ Feb 5 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826359269[/snapback]

My girls would disagree! They love wrestling for lots of reasons and I love it because it exposes them to young men with character, drive, discipline and determination, all of which are necessary in life to succeed at whatever they do.

I'm sure that's not the "way" to market it but if it increased the fan base, then maybe more schools would support it.

We are on the same page. I was only trying point out the differences between the popularity of wrestling and football/baseball amongst high school students. The problem is not that wrestling isn't worthwhile. The problem is convincing more people that it is.

Some of you teach dirty wrestling, what can I say? They will learn cheating and carry it throughtout their miserable lives. HA!! JKing

QUOTE(usfjim @ Feb 1 2007 - 08:31 AM) 826354301[/snapback]

unfortunately, mustang brandon will not repeat.

in an early round match, he will unknowingly rip off some poor kids leg with an outside single, which some upset mother will have him arrested on site for vicious and inhumane treatment of her little baby.......