Wrestling

magic123

i have been thinking whether or not i should start wrestling. I have never even played this sport just wrestled around with friends and stuff. Only sports i play are baseball and football. I weigh 203 but culd get down to 190-195 easily. I was wondering what the weight classes were and just some good information about wrestling...everyone's input woudl be helpful..

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(magic123 @ Feb 2 2007 - 10:22 PM) 826356544[/snapback]

i have been thinking whether or not i should start wrestling. I have never even played this sport just wrestled around with friends and stuff. Only sports i play are baseball and football. I weigh 203 but culd get down to 190-195 easily. I was wondering what the weight classes were and just some good information about wrestling...everyone's input woudl be helpful..

well the closest weight classes to you would be

hwt(285)

but i think wrestling is the best sport because it teaches you discpline and plus it keeps you in shape

Real hard work and drilling to know moves instinctively. It's almost like you don't have to think as the moves flow from one to another. You must feel a sense of accomplishment after each and every practice to better yourself everyday.

Study the best and emulate them; and know that there are some quality big guys in TN like at Soddy, Maryville, Centenniel, Brentwood, Ravenwood, Cleveland, FRA, Tullahoma, Collierville, Hendersonville, Union Co, Cookeville, Farragut, & Warren Co.

You can wrestle at 189 (or with mid-season growth allowance... 192 right now), and 215 (218 today).

Now this is a much smaller weight class than you, but this is what I mean by being instinctive...

A Young Michael Jordan of Wrestling - video

Enjoy this link!!

QUOTE(soms @ Feb 3 2007 - 01:01 AM) 826356628[/snapback]

Real hard work and drilling to know moves instinctively. It's almost like you don't have to think as the moves flow from one to another. You must feel a sense of accomplishment after each and every practice to better yourself everyday.

Study the best and emulate them; and know that there are some quality big guys in TN like at Soddy, Maryville, Centenniel, Brentwood, Ravenwood, Cleveland, FRA, Tullahoma, Collierville, Hendersonville, Union Co, Cookeville, Farragut, & Warren Co.

You can wrestle at 189 (or with mid-season growth allowance... 192 right now), and 215 (218 today).

Now this is a much smaller weight class than you, but this is what I mean by being instinctive...

A Young Michael Jordan of Wrestling - video

Enjoy this link!!

soms...this is a seymour mom and i don't know this kid...but thank you for taking time...to explain...to help this young man...thats class in my book

There is no better sport to help you prepare for life. Soms is correct in that it does require a commitment and dedication. It will help you succeed in football and just about any other sport you compete in. John Madden said that when he coached for the Raiders he scouted players who were also wrestlers due to the work ethic and drive that it took to be successful on the wrestling mat.

I will take a few minutes to give you an idea of this sport. First off I wrestled in high school only, I played baseball for over 8 years up to that point. I made the high school baseball team but had to decide between freestyle wrestling and baseball. I stayed with wrestling not beacause i was good at (in fact i stunk for the first couple years) i stuck with it because of the family I became part of. This sport gave me a family outside of my own. My very close friends are those on my high school team 1996-2000. I hang with these guys at least once a week.

The kicker for me was the individual tourney, When a great wrestler enter the room everyone noticed and everyone was gunning for him. That wrestler stood alone not backed by a team, no excuses if he lost, He stands alone with all the pressure on him, and that my friend builds more character than anything you will ever do in the sports world.

Think about when you lost a big football game who takes the blame?

Nobody takes it everyone blames it on everyone else.

On the flip side this sport will consume you for four months a year, you became miserable and you will hate it at times. Those things will quickly go away with your first medal and first big win in front you home crowd.

Good Luck and let us know so we can follow you.

Go for it! Great thing about the sport is you can get on the internet and grab a pair of clearance shoes for $20 (trust me they are all alike). This is basicly the only cost other than gallons of sweat!

Also a boy your size has a better chance of coming in and being competitive. Drawing on 25 years of experiance on the mat and in the corner; the upper classes rely more on strength, balance, and speed and less technique than the lower classes. I'm not trying to start a debate here ( I as well as my son wrestled mid to heavy weights). What happens most of the smaller weight classes have wrestlers with more years on the mat because the sport appealed to them at a young age due to their small frame and weight classes available to them. Larger kids such as yourself often grow so fast they losose their coordination and balance and nothing helps more than wrestling. If I had a large potential 'lineman' son or coached line football, I would strongly incourage giving this sport a try. What I tell kids' If they are competitive and want to improve speed, balance and learn the best form of self defense ever 'Go For It'.

QUOTE(magic123 @ Feb 2 2007 - 11:22 PM) 826356544[/snapback]

If you wrestle, I will guarantee that it will be the best decision you have ever made concerning sports. I started wrestling just last year, and its an instant impact. It is the most satisfying sport there is. You get to go school the next day and tell your friends that YOU pinned the guy and won the match. You don't say, "Well Jimmy had the game winning homerun." Sure, other sports you get a chance to have a game winning effort every now and then, but wrestling its every time you step on the mat. You know that when you win and when you do well its no other reason than YOUR hardwork, and its the greatest feeling in the world. Some people say its crazy to put that much time and effort into a sport, but thats the part that makes it so great. Not everyone can wrestle. If it was an easy sport, you would see full teams at every school. You have the feeling of accomplishing something every practice. You know you get better every time you step on the mat. Other than it being the most satisfying sport ever, it guarantees to put you in the BEST shape of your life, teach you discipline, and give you a respect at school that only wrestlers have.

Hope that can help convince you to wrestle.