Best Catchers

miami17

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Feb 17 2007 - 03:36 PM) 826376534[/snapback]

I agree, to a certain extent.

It's a combination of most of the things you listed above. Colleges look for HS catchers with arm strength, defensive ability behind the plate, hitting and leadership qualities. Calling the game, controlling the pitchers and setting defensive plays is, for the most part in HS and college, taken out of their hands. The coaches do all that.

If a catcher wants to go to college and play baseball, a good arm and a good bat will get you noticed immediately. The rest can be taught.

i dont think leadership can be taught. a catcher has a lot of responsibilities on the field and they must make decisions quick and efficient. it always helps your defense out when you have a good catcher who can be a leader and knows what hes doin.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(straightbill307 @ Feb 17 2007 - 04:53 PM) 826376547[/snapback]

I see you point one the first part, but the rest can not just be taught. You can not teach knowledge of the game I dont care what anyone says, that just comes to you. Catching is the most difficult position on the field with the most responsibility, you must be a leader and IMO leaders can not be taught. Your either born a leader or not. But, im not saying that someone else on the field can not be a leader though, because I love to see when other positions step up and take control too. But you can not just grab a kid from the local rec. league team and teach him how to be a leader, you have to have the will and the desire.

You are right Colleges do look for a good strong accurate arm, but they also look for leadership, and most importantly the defensive skills, and the ability to hit. Trust me, ive been there.

You're kinda proving my point for me.

Knowledge of the games comes from playing the game.

I do not agree that catching is the most difficult position either. I think pitching is.

You don't have to be a leader to be a catcher. That's nonsense. There are hundreds of programs, HS and college, that have good catchers that are not necessarily leaders. And if as your statement says, you're either born a leader or not, then no one who isn't a leader should be a catcher.

We differ in opinion, that's fine.

And lastly, trust me, I have been there too, as a Division I catcher.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Feb 17 2007 - 09:11 PM) 826376898[/snapback]You're kinda proving my point for me.

Knowledge of the games comes from playing the game.

I do not agree that catching is the most difficult position either. I think pitching is.

You don't have to be a leader to be a catcher. That's nonsense. There are hundreds of programs, HS and college, that have good catchers that are not necessarily leaders. And if as your statement says, you're either born a leader or not, then no one who isn't a leader should be a catcher.

We differ in opinion, that's fine.

And lastly, trust me, I have been there too, as a Division I catcher.

i do feel like the catcher must be the leader on the field. they are the ones that are suppose to know where everyone is or where everyone is suppose to be. the catcher gives the pitch selection, gives the bunt calls, tells the fielder where to throw the ball when they field the bunt, gives the first and third calls, and be able to throw somebody out from behind the plate. that is way more responsibilities than a pitcher. i can only think of two responsibilities for a pitcher: trow strikes and get people out.

i do feel like the catcher must be the leader on the field.

That's fine, we disagree.

the catcher gives the pitch selection, gives the bunt calls, tells the fielder where to throw the ball when they field the bunt, gives the first and third calls,

Like I said before, the coach makes all these decisions prior to the pitch being made.

and be able to throw somebody out from behind the plate.

Agreed. It also helps if he can hit a little, too.

i can only think of two responsibilities for a pitcher: trow strikes and get people out.

Uhh, that's 2 pretty big responsibilities, don't ya think. That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on CoachT.

Jon Dalton from Rutledge could play any position,I think he was an outfielder his freshman year , he can do it all,but no matter what he is one of the best hitters in the state,I think the only one that might have been better was Cody Haun from South Doyle but he tore his ACL and is out for the year,so that makes Dalton the best now.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Feb 18 2007 - 07:52 PM) 826378183[/snapback]That's fine, we disagree.

Like I said before, the coach makes all these decisions prior to the pitch being made.

Agreed. It also helps if he can hit a little, too.

Uhh, that's 2 pretty big responsibilities, don't ya think. That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on CoachT.

yes they are big responsibilities. believe me i know i am a pitcher, but im just tryin to give a catcher the credit they deserve. you are not giving catchers enough credit man.

QUOTE(putboobieincoach @ Feb 18 2007 - 11:10 PM) 826378693[/snapback]yes they are big responsibilities. believe me i know i am a pitcher, but im just tryin to give a catcher the credit they deserve. you are not giving catchers enough credit man.

boobie, pitchers hold alot of responsibilities too... they have to count the number of poles they run after a game, they have to remember the grip of the pitches they throw, and rememeber that 1 is fastball 2 is breaking pitch 3 is off-speed.

lol sorry had to put that in there. I say we forget this whole thing and get back on topic about "best catchers" my award goes to Tyler Acker DCA/MTSU. This kid is good, but I see MTSU moving him to the outfield or putting him on a corner.

QUOTE(straightbill307 @ Feb 18 2007 - 11:18 PM) 826378705[/snapback]boobie, pitchers hold alot of responsibilities too... they have to count the number of poles they run after a game, they have to remember the grip of the pitches they throw, and rememeber that 1 is fastball 2 is breaking pitch 3 is off-speed.

lol sorry had to put that in there. I say we forget this whole thing and get back on topic about "best catchers" my award goes to Tyler Acker DCA/MTSU. This kid is good, but I see MTSU moving him to the outfield or putting him on a corner.

LOL!!! yeah and at the wood its 20 poles after you pitch!!! LOL!!! but seriously that kid that plays at harpeth can catch pretty good, but his pitcher is more of a leader than he is because he has a harder position to play....LOL

QUOTE(putboobieincoach @ Feb 18 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826378721[/snapback]LOL!!! yeah and at the wood its 20 poles after you pitch!!! LOL!!! but seriously that kid that plays at harpeth can catch pretty good, but his pitcher is more of a leader than he is because he has a harder position to play....LOL

lol this kids got jokes! hey if your going to the game 2mrrow at CCCHS for bball come introduce yourself im pretty sure you know who I am.