Starting a flame war

Ibleedpurpleandgold

Before anybody starts to hate me, let me start this by saying I greatly respect all of these wrestlers, and though I think they are all very deserving of the title of MOW, I think some are more deserving than others. Kelly Felix is an absolute beast, and I love to watch him wrestle, he is very talented, but did he really deserve MOW? Granted, he pinned everybody that lined up across the mat from him, and two of those were the eventual 3rd and 4th place finishers, but there were no returning state placers in his weight class. Now, IMHO, I can think of 2, maybe 3, wrestlers that had a much harder road to the top of the medal stand and did it in fine fashion.

1. Matt Lettner. Not only did he beat a 2 time state champion in the finals, very decisively I might add, but he beat another returning champ in the semis.

2. Jeremy Miller. Wow, is about all I have to say. An 8th grader winning a DI state championship? Now, that is something outstanding and impressive.

3. Brandon Wright. In the finals he also beat a 2 time state champion, and in the semis he also beat a returning state finalist and sophomore national champion.

4. Demetrius Johnson. Again, in the finals he beat a 2 time returning state champion (both in different divisions, ever been done before? topic for another time).

Those would be my top 3 choices for the award, and I'm sure I'll here a dozen differing opinions, but that was the whole point of writing this. Tell me what you guys think.

Again, nothing but admiration for Kelly Felix, so don't think I'm taking a shot at anybody.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ibleedpurpleandgold @ Feb 16 2007 - 08:30 PM) 826375076[/snapback]

Before anybody starts to hate me, let me start this by saying I greatly respect all of these wrestlers, and though I think they are all very deserving of the title of MOW, I think some are more deserving than others. Kelly Felix is an absolute beast, and I love to watch him wrestle, he is very talented, but did he really deserve MOW? Granted, he pinned everybody that lined up across the mat from him, and two of those were the eventual 3rd and 4th place finishers, but there were no returning state placers in his weight class. Now, IMHO, I can think of 2, maybe 3, wrestlers that had a much harder road to the top of the medal stand and did it in fine fashion.

1. Matt Lettner. Not only did he beat a 2 time state champion in the finals, very decisively I might add, but he beat another returning champ in the semis.

2. Brandon Wright. In the finals he also beat a 2 time state champion, and in the semis he also beat a returning state finalist and sophomore national champion.

3. Demetrius Johnson. Again, in the finals he beat a 2 time returning state champion (both in different divisions, ever been done before? topic for another time).

Those would be my top 3 choices for the award, and I'm sure I'll here a dozen differing opinions, but that was the whole point of writing this. Tell me what you guys think.

Again, nothing but admiration for Kelly Felix, so don't think I'm taking a shot at anybody.

I don't have a horse in the race but that is exactly the way my vote would have went. Let's add best Senior, Junior, sophmore and freshman awards. The more recognition these young men get the better.

QUOTE(shutout @ Feb 16 2007 - 08:42 PM) 826375093[/snapback]

I don't have a horse in the race but that is exactly the way my vote would have went. Let's add best Senior, Junior, sophmore and freshman awards. The more recognition these young men get the better.

Yeah that would be cool they definitely need more recognition

Actually sorry Miller would get the 8TH GRADER nod. Fantastic work for a D1 8th grader.

I guess D1 frshman would have to be Cameron Croy 4rd at 189 didnt see any finalist 9th graders. Plus that is so hard at 189 so many old boys.

Also, This debate with Kelly Felix is the same one used against Jordan Leen several years ago. He won it his senior year as did Kelly.

You can not fault someone because everyone in the state near his weight knows he is untouchable. The other guys had a tougher road because they either upset someone or people thought they could be beaten.

No one believed they could beat Felix so all returning medalist who wanted to win state went up or down. This really is the true test of who is the best. When someone pins or techs everyone and everyone advoided that weight for that very reason

QUOTE(Cox @ Feb 16 2007 - 09:12 PM) 826375135[/snapback]

Actually sorry Miller would get the 8TH GRADER nod. Fantastic work for a D1 8th grader.

I guess D1 frshman would have to be Cameron Croy 4rd at 189 did see any finalist 9th graders. Plus that is so hard at 189 so many old boys.

Also, This debate with Kelly Felix is the same one used against Jordan Leen several years ago. He won it his senior year as did Kelly.

You can not fault someone because everyone in the state near his weight knows he is untouchable. The other guys had a tougher road because they either upset someone or people thought they could be beaten.

No one believed they could beat Felix so all returning medalist who wanted to win state went up or down. This really is the true test of who is the best. When someone pins or techs everyone and everyone advoided that weight for that very reason

i was thinkin the same thing about Jeremy when i posted that i just could not remember if he was in 8 or 9 but i hope to see a 5 time state champ in the making

i would have to agree with you about Kelly Felix cause he is a beast and just anialated everyone in the state at 145

QUOTE(Cox @ Feb 16 2007 - 08:12 PM) 826375135[/snapback]

I guess D1 frshman would have to be Cameron Croy 4rd at 189 didnt see any finalist 9th graders. Plus that is so hard at 189 so many old boys.

For the record, the idea that anyone, let alone everyone good, shifted a weight class to avoid Kelly Felix is slightly presumptuous and completely subjective. Maybe people just shifted weight and it worked out that nobody great was at Kelly's weight.

Another thought, I don't really think that is the truest test of who is the best. I think it is easily more determined by who overcomes the most, toughest obstacles on their journey to 1st. What did Kelly show us by pinning everybody? He showed us that he's still good and can still pin everybody he wrestles and he can still easily win a state title. Not that outstanding, really. What is outstanding is having an 8th grader come through and win state, or a returning state medallist having to beat 2 state champions just to get first and doing so. I just think the criteria should be more intuitive and thought out.

QUOTE(Cox @ Feb 16 2007 - 08:12 PM) 826375135[/snapback]

I really don't think that anybody with any hardware fled the weight class just because of Kelly Felix. Granted he is good, but certainly not unbeatable, nobody is. And if that were the case, I doubt 160 would have had anybody decent at it either besides Brandon Wright, especially Creagan after he lost to Wright earlier in the year. He didn't back down. Anybody worth their weight doesn't flee from a challenge just because they might lose, and if that's the case, they shouldn't be wrestlers.

Also, bump, I changed my choices for MOW.