Unicoi County vs. Pigeon Forge

volunteerpride

oh, sorry......forgot about the WHY? part of the question. I look at two specific reasons why I believe Unicoi will beat Pigeon Forge. First reason is the recent play of Unicoi's bench. I mean, 2 of the 3 All-District selections were coming off the bench those 3 games (sophomores Cameron Miller and Derek Shelton). Second reason is Unicoi's size. And I think the size advantage will be on display more on the defensive end than the offensive. Weaver will get his 16-20, but their length on the wings with Scott, Canady, and Rice will allow them to contest shots on the defensive end, dramatically reducing the open looks that PF's shooters get. The one place I believe PF may get a lot of points (and the majority of their open looks from deep) is in transition. Unicoi will have to find shooters in transition defense and pick them up beyond the arc quickly. PF will not hesitate to take open looks early in the possession. Also, Unicoi will need solid guard play against pressure, limiting turnovers and knock down a few jumpers to keep them from doubling and tripling weaver. I believe it may be close early, but Unicoi will pull away late, providing they convert at the free throw line (all erwin faithful remember the unfortunate foul line meltdown at Austin East two years ago). My ultimate prediction (above) is Unicoi 68, PF 60.

QUOTE(mscoach44 @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826393937[/snapback]oh, sorry......forgot about the WHY? part of the question. I look at two specific reasons why I believe Unicoi will beat Pigeon Forge. First reason is the recent play of Unicoi's bench. I mean, 2 of the 3 All-District selections were coming off the bench those 3 games (sophomores Cameron Miller and Derek Shelton). Second reason is Unicoi's size. And I think the size advantage will be on display more on the defensive end than the offensive. Weaver will get his 16-20, but their length on the wings with Scott, Canady, and Rice will allow them to contest shots on the defensive end, dramatically reducing the open looks that PF's shooters get. The one place I believe PF may get a lot of points (and the majority of their open looks from deep) is in transition. Unicoi will have to find shooters in transition defense and pick them up beyond the arc quickly. PF will not hesitate to take open looks early in the possession. Also, Unicoi will need solid guard play against pressure, limiting turnovers and knock down a few jumpers to keep them from doubling and tripling weaver. I believe it may be close early, but Unicoi will pull away late, providing they convert at the free throw line (all erwin faithful remember the unfortunate foul line meltdown at Austin East two years ago). My ultimate prediction (above) is Unicoi 68, PF 60.

I couldn't have said it better myself mscoach44- either way, i can't wait for the match up tonight; it should be a classic. Anybody else out there excited?

QUOTE(mscoach44 @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826393937[/snapback]oh, sorry......forgot about the WHY? part of the question. I look at two specific reasons why I believe Unicoi will beat Pigeon Forge. First reason is the recent play of Unicoi's bench. I mean, 2 of the 3 All-District selections were coming off the bench those 3 games (sophomores Cameron Miller and Derek Shelton). Second reason is Unicoi's size. And I think the size advantage will be on display more on the defensive end than the offensive. Weaver will get his 16-20, but their length on the wings with Scott, Canady, and Rice will allow them to contest shots on the defensive end, dramatically reducing the open looks that PF's shooters get. The one place I believe PF may get a lot of points (and the majority of their open looks from deep) is in transition. Unicoi will have to find shooters in transition defense and pick them up beyond the arc quickly. PF will not hesitate to take open looks early in the possession. Also, Unicoi will need solid guard play against pressure, limiting turnovers and knock down a few jumpers to keep them from doubling and tripling weaver. I believe it may be close early, but Unicoi will pull away late, providing they convert at the free throw line (all erwin faithful remember the unfortunate foul line meltdown at Austin East two years ago). My ultimate prediction (above) is Unicoi 68, PF 60.

I agree with everything you said but you left one thing out #35 for PF is the BEST player that will be on the court, so I'll flip your score 68 60 PF

It was definitely a very exciting game. I thought that the officials did a good job. They called it as consistently as any game that I've seen all year. Unicoi missed some big free throws down the stretch, had some very costly turnovers, and Pigeon Forge got hot at just the right time. They got some clear looks late and knocked them in. Kids from both teams made big plays all night. It just came down to which team got the oppotunity to make the last big one, and PF capitalized on it. They will host Austin East and Unicoi will go to Fulton. Will be two tough games. I would love to see Region One represented by two teams in the Boro, but both teams will have to play near flawlessly to pull them out. Will be difficult, but by no means is it impossible.