Lady Devil Softball

00FANUC

QUOTE(00FANUC @ Mar 24 2007 - 07:16 AM) 826421448[/snapback]I don't know for sure but I did hear that Volunteer dropped out because of the race weekend but i'm not positive. Unicoi won 18-1 I believe

Volunteer played and I found their last game score on Tricitiessports.com. Appreciate the late Unicoi score.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(statman3 @ Mar 24 2007 - 06:18 AM) 826421449[/snapback]Volunteer played and I found their last game score on Tricitiessports.com. Appreciate the late Unicoi score.

Yea sorry I was really wrong on my last post. Unicoi played South early this morning and won 5-4 they then played volunteer and won then they played Morristown East and won 9-3. Cherokee and Unicoi went home co-champions due to the tragic injury of an umpire. Congrats both Devils and Cheifs!

QUOTE(jeanne @ Mar 24 2007 - 09:54 PM) 826421780[/snapback]what happened to the umpire?

Tragic accident with the umpire. Wish I knew her name....I'm sure she could use our prayers tonight.

Umpire took a foul tip off of the forehead in the top of the third inning.

Someone else may be able to elaborate on the story better, but it seems the same umpire had a similar foul ball incident about 5 years ago that left her in a coma for a while. She's been back umpiring a couple years. All indications are that this injury is very serious. Last I heard after being taken away by ambulance she was treated at hospital in Erwin and eventually air lifted to hospital in Johnson City.

Finishing out the championship game did not seem to make sense after such an accident and both coaches agreed to call it off and share the championship.

If anyone is able to provide updates on the condition of the umpire, it would be appreciated.

QUOTE(statman3 @ Mar 25 2007 - 12:34 AM) 826421916[/snapback]Tragic accident with the umpire. Wish I knew her name....I'm sure she could use our prayers tonight.

Umpire took a foul tip off of the forehead in the top of the third inning.

Someone else may be able to elaborate on the story better, but it seems the same umpire had a similar foul ball incident about 5 years ago that left her in a coma for a while. She's been back umpiring a couple years. All indications are that this injury is very serious. Last I heard after being taken away by ambulance she was treated at hospital in Erwin and eventually air lifted to hospital in Johnson City.

Finishing out the championship game did not seem to make sense after such an accident and both coaches agreed to call it off and share the championship.

If anyone is able to provide updates on the condition of the umpire, it would be appreciated.

The umpire's name was Dawn Hembrick (spelling?)

If it's the short blonde....which I believe it is....she took a foul ball off the side of her head 4 years ago while umpiring behind the plate during, again, the NFS Tournament in Unicoi.

As I recall, after the first incident, she began wearing a full cather's mask behind the plate. Was this not the case Saturday night?

Glad to hear things are going better in Unicoi. Keep up the hard work ladies...AND STAY TOGETHER!

What's the schedule like this week?

QUOTE(hard_ball1 @ Mar 26 2007 - 08:06 AM) 826422882[/snapback]If it's the short blonde....which I believe it is....she took a foul ball off the side of her head 4 years ago while umpiring behind the plate during, again, the NFS Tournament in Unicoi.

As I recall, after the first incident, she began wearing a full cather's mask behind the plate. Was this not the case Saturday night?

Glad to hear things are going better in Unicoi. Keep up the hard work ladies...AND STAY TOGETHER!

Does anyone have an update on the umpire that was hurt? My daughter plays for Cherokee and we have been concerned about her.

QUOTE(hard_ball1 @ Mar 26 2007 - 10:06 AM) 826422882[/snapback]If it's the short blonde....which I believe it is....she took a foul ball off the side of her head 4 years ago while umpiring behind the plate during, again, the NFS Tournament in Unicoi.

It was a full helmet that she was wearing. But it was a direct blow to the forehead area of the face mask.

If anone knows her condition, please let us know.

QUOTE(statman3 @ Mar 26 2007 - 12:20 PM) 826422985[/snapback]It was a full helmet that she was wearing. But it was a direct blow to the forehead area of the face mask.

A friend of mine who works at JC Med. Center wouldn't be specific because of patient confidentally laws but said that it looked like she was going to be fine. As of last night she was concious & alert & was eating, drinking, etc.

QUOTE(#12fan @ Mar 26 2007 - 03:48 PM) 826423141[/snapback]A friend of mine who works at JC Med. Center wouldn't be specific because of patient confidentally laws but said that it looked like she was going to be fine. As of last night she was concious & alert & was eating, drinking, etc.

The lasting image for me from this tournament will be 30 girls from both teams hand in hand on one knee in a big circle of prayer in left field while several parents with the right credentials took care of the umpire.

Leave it to the girls to keep things in their proper perspective for you!

QUOTE(statman3 @ Mar 26 2007 - 11:20 AM) 826422985[/snapback]It was a full helmet that she was wearing. But it was a direct blow to the forehead area of the face mask.

She is doing very well as of now. This was the same umpire that took a hit to the head four years ago. She should be in ICU for at least a week. The parents of the player that hit the foul ball, Leah Love, have been over there everyday checking up on her and doing as much as possible for her. Lady Devils beat Volunteer tonight 6-1. The lady devils play at Johnson County on thursday then the JV tournamnet at Unicoi. Good Luck Ladies