ELIZABETHTON HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL

LUVBALL

I've been reading these threads and I just have to give my opinion. What in the world are you guys thinking, talking bad about the EHS baseball program which is in better shape now than it's been in in years. Coach Payne is a very knowledgeable coach who came into a program with a lot of talent. He also brought with him a lot of discipline and experience. By making the kids get their hair cut, by making them dress the same in practice, he is bringing Cyclone pride up to a higher level. He came into the program not knowing anybody and the kids earned their positions and his respect and it definitely paid off last year. If any of these kids want to play at a higher level, he is teaching them how to do that. You hear about so many kids that go to college and play and quit after the first year because they are not mentally ready. He is preparing them for the future. I stand behind Coach Payne 100% and think he is doing a fantastic job. Who are we, or any of these posters on here, to question this man when things are heading in the right direction?

As far as the Jr. Babe Ruth situation, I have to agree with GLee. I saw first hand the abuse of the facilities. I've helped pressure wash the dugouts after they've been used as urinals. I've witnessed more than once, cars dragging the infield, equipment damaged and missing from the pressbox, the concession stand being trashed inside and the toilets being intentionally stopped up. Sorry guys, but that's ridiculous. Why should the EHS city school system be responsible for Jr. Babe Ruth to begin with. I agree they need a place to play, but if it's going to be county and city players, it should be some kind of joint effort instead of the burden being strictly on Elizabethton High School. As far as it being the only facility with lights so they can play night games, exactly who pays the electric bill for this? Just wondering. I hope Alexander and Payne stick to their guns and maybe we will see improvement.

QUOTE(LUVBALL @ Mar 20 2007 - 06:42 PM) 826418788[/snapback]Why should the EHS city school system be responsible for Jr. Babe Ruth to begin with. I agree they need a place to play, but if it's going to be county and city players, it should be some kind of joint effort instead of the burden being strictly on Elizabethton High School.

EHS was never responsible for the upkeep of the field or the running of the Babe Ruth League, when it was built(with help from a $25,000 grant from Levi's) it was stipulated with the grant , that the field was to be used for Eliz./Carter Co. Babe Ruth(not Dizzy Dean or Senior League), the Eliz. Jr high team and of course practice for the H.S. and Jr high and the upkeep (mowing/striping ) was the duty of Eliz. parks and rec dept. as per normal rec. duties as Little League/Softball, etc. would be.

Sometime after 2000, concessions/pressbox and bathrooms were built , all i know is before 2000, we helped keep the field /dugouts and area clean back then and worked on the field ourselves at times. If the facilities were the mess you say, it was the fault of the Officers(president and board members) /parents/coaches for allowing it to get this way.

Randy Crowe was the President before 2000, he would know the details on the grant etc.

Good luck

QUOTE(blueeagle @ Mar 21 2007 - 08:19 AM) 826419152[/snapback]check with the writer at the star. he has all the history as to when the field was built and the funds that were used to build it. he told me the field was built with a grant received from the parks and rec and that late cyclone baseball coach harold ellis was very instrumental in getting the field in place

i thought you where from cosby might you be someone else. T_ _ _. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> sniped.................................................

QUOTE(GLee @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:19 AM) 826419259[/snapback]Great Baseball Program and a Fantastic Coach!

No one asked, but as an outsider, I agree 100%. One of the most talented teams around the East Tennessee area. I miss all the Watauga Conference talk on here. How is that conference shaping up? I would have bet the house that Elizabethton was the team to beat this year. Is that holding true?

QUOTE(Falconbaseballbacker @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:17 AM) 826419305[/snapback]No one asked, but as an outsider, I agree 100%. One of the most talented teams around the East Tennessee area. I miss all the Watauga Conference talk on here. How is that conference shaping up? I would have bet the house that Elizabethton was the team to beat this year. Is that holding true?

Having seen most of the teams this maybe as weak as i have seen it in years,having said that the cyclones seem to be a cut above the rest they have no weeekness as far as i can see,I believe their will be a good race for second but I guess that's why they play the games,pitching is very weak on most teams i have seen,Elizabethton has 3 senior pitchers who have been through the playoffs and know what to expect this should help them and give them an edge

QUOTE(blueeagle @ Mar 21 2007 - 07:19 AM) 826419152[/snapback]check with the writer at the star. he has all the history as to when the field was built and the funds that were used to build it. he told me the field was built with a grant received from the parks and rec and that late cyclone baseball coach harold ellis was very instrumental in getting the field in place

I dont need to check with anyone, i was there a year after it was built and know personally the people who got the Levis grant, i was shown copys of the paperwork, schematics, even a pic of the mower that was supposed to be bought, but i was just trying to help Mr Rivers with info , dont matter to me who you believe.

QUOTE(bruno2 @ Mar 21 2007 - 01:20 PM) 826419514[/snapback]I dont need to check with anyone, i was there a year after it was built and know personally the people who got the Levis grant, i was shown copys of the paperwork, schematics, even a pic of the mower that was supposed to be bought, but i was just trying to help Mr Rivers with info , dont matter to me who you believe.

Bruno if u could get the names or know where I can get a copy of the contract, I would be greatly indebt to you.. We have a new super and AD.. The season doesn't start until the second week of May. You can email me at peters5@charter.net

Thanks for your info

QUOTE(DekeRivers @ Mar 21 2007 - 02:43 PM) 826419529[/snapback]Bruno if u could get the names or know where I can get a copy of the contract, I would be greatly indebt to you.. We have a new super and AD.. The season doesn't start until the second week of May. You can email me at peters5@charter.net

Thanks for your info

Randy Crowe , and as far as the original paperwork , who knows. He would know about the BR charter at around that time and may still have copys or would surely know who he passed all that off to when he resigned pres. of BR , that would be where i would start.

and you are welcome Mr Rivers /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />