Top Coaches in Tennessee

SoccerFan0910

QUOTE(cbusoccer13 @ Mar 27 2007 - 02:19 PM) 826424173[/snapback]I played for the 2 time National Champs in 1999 and 2000 with Houston High School. Yes, we were ranked number 1 and there was no game that made us the champion but we were the only undefeated team in 2000 and we were the last AAA team to go undefeated in the state of TN. We proved that we deserved all the distinction winning the state semifinals 6-2 over an undefeated Bearden team and winning the finals 5-0. 1999: We did have 1 loss but we went to a tournament over Spring Break where we played teams from GA and SC which ended up in the top 10 in the ending national poll. We won 53 straight games and if you want to argue that it was not enough to be determined the national champions, you are out of your minds. There will never be a national championship tournament because of high school budgets and expenditures so you have to take what you can get.

I saw your team and you are right noone could have stayed with ya'll during those years. People get on here and blast the thought of National Champions because they have never been blessed enough to be on one of those teams. You should be very proud of what ya'll did and the recognition that you brought to Tennessee. The polls said you were National Champions and that is what matters, not anyone second guessing.......PAULIE WAS A GREAT PLAYER LIKE HIS OLDER BROTHER and he did make a difference on the field. Now as for your club team not getting past Knoxville, I was there for that too, and I really think it was a good match you lost, but I think ya'll showed up thinking it was in the bag and got surprized .... All in ALL ....You were part of the great legacy of Tenn Soccer.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the responses, but I'm just gonna say a few coaches who I think are some of the top ones in Tennessee. I'm from the east, so I only know coaches from around here. In AAA, Coach Culbreth at Farragut and Coach Turner from Bearden are two obvious choices, being the coaches of two premier teams. In A/AA, Coach G has done a ton so far in his first 4 years of coaching varsity and Alcoa's coach, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know his name, has really improved their program over the past few years- I look forward to seeing them continue to improve. I'm sure there are a lot of other really good coaches I haven't mentioned too, these 4 are just a few I know of off the top of my head right now.

cbusoccer13, you are very right and you are very wrong. You are right in that the Houston team of 2000 was quite possibly one of the finest this state has ever seen. I've talked with several coaches who coached against that team who agreed that it could have hung in with several college teams. Undoubtedly incredible. You are wrong, however, in that there have been not one but two teams since then from separate schools who have gone undefeated: Bearden in 2002 and Farragut the following year. Not a bash, but it's a bit silly to try and say that Houston is the only team (like the 72 Dolphins) who can say that they have an undefeated season. It's happened several times and a few since then. Irby, though, is one of the finest coaches in the state and I think it's sad that you and I and one other person have posted him as one of the greats in Tennessee.

QUOTE(world cup @ Mar 28 2007 - 07:28 PM) 826425146[/snapback]cbusoccer13, you are very right and you are very wrong. You are right in that the Houston team of 2000 was quite possibly one of the finest this state has ever seen. I've talked with several coaches who coached against that team who agreed that it could have hung in with several college teams. Undoubtedly incredible. You are wrong, however, in that there have been not one but two teams since then from separate schools who have gone undefeated: Bearden in 2002 and Farragut the following year. Not a bash, but it's a bit silly to try and say that Houston is the only team (like the 72 Dolphins) who can say that they have an undefeated season. It's happened several times and a few since then. Irby, though, is one of the finest coaches in the state and I think it's sad that you and I and one other person have posted him as one of the greats in Tennessee.

Farragut did not go undefeated in 2003 or 2004. 2003 lost three games and 2004 2 games

QUOTE(shoehp @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:14 AM) 826425585[/snapback]Farragut did not go undefeated in 2003 or 2004. 2003 lost three games and 2004 2 games

Well whether or not there have been undefeated teams since our team, I never heard any recognition for them like we got. My senior year, we had 9 players on our team from MFC 82 and 2 from MFC 83. We were really solid. I am going to keep my name out of all of this but you can do some research. I lead the team in goals our senior year and in the state tournament. I finished second in the Memphis BOP behind Grant. Sadly enough, Grant went to college and totally bombed out. He tried to come to CBU to play with me, Nick Chantara, and Michael Vogel but could not cut it there either. He was a lot of fun to play with, just like the whole team was. Watching some of our highlight tapes can be quite fun! Our club team did not go in to the Knoxville game in travel state with a cockiness because we had not beaten that team in a while. They just beat us off the field that day too. I appreciate all the nice words as I know all of my teammates do as well. If Bearden did go undefeated, congrats to them! Just never heard about it which should say a lot because I know our Houston teams were all over the news and papers! Good luck to everyone this season.