observation

chattanooga

3 pairs of eyes would definitely be better. YOu have to have someone watching the rest of the field, not just where the ball is. The additional money would be well worth it. Don't soccer teams have fund raisers to get money for refs and other expenses? All games should also be video taped. I agree that the TSSAA should get more involved with recruiting more refs. I for one would not want that job. It's sooo hard and it's a thankless job. They only hear what a horrible job they are doing. God bless them everyone.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem isn't technically a shortage of referees, it's a shortage of linesmen (technically assistant refs). If TSSAA certified people just as linesmen, the demand would be easier to fill. They would be able to spread around refs better, too. A linesman need only do four things during a game: 1) make possession calls on out-of-bounds, 2) call offside, 3) help the referee regulate substitutions, and 4) watch for fouls the ref might not notice -- usually blatant or serious fouls. Implementing such a system would be pretty simple. Pay linesmen half what a ref gets and the price for a trio would be the same as a dual. Is it as good as having three certified refs? Maybe not, but I bet it beats a dual. Of course there's the issue of recruiting these linesmen. I know I'd do it if I wasn't expected to cover more than a couple games a week. I know several others who would do it, too. All I know is that I'm tired of seeing duals at every game outside a major city. Something should be done to better protect our players.

Historically, refs have come from the soccer parent who decides to become a ref since he (or she) is already at the soccer field all weekend with their kids. There's nothing wrong with this. Young people who decide to ref usually don't stay with it too long in spite of the excellent money they can make. I feel there are several reasons for this: fan abuse and schedule. Most teenagers have probably been taught that they should respect adults and all that - yet as a ref they are told to control the game and the fans. This can be very confrontational; after being yelled at for a season or two they quit specifically for that reason. If you ref as a teenager you are most likely doing it at your local association on Saturday and Sunday mornings - not the time most teenagers want to get up and go stand on the soccer field (in spite of the money). Now, TSSAA won't let you ref until you're 18 which means you are probably in college. Reffing probably isn't high on the priority list of a college freshman. Since most high school games start in the early evening, you either have a new job or just got out of class; what will entice them to go ref a high school game? Paying more for a high school ref is certainly one solution but they've raised pay significantly since 2001 and the number of officials is about the same. If you try to raise the standard of existing officials by making them meet fitness standards you would reduce the number by about half. We need decent pay, fitness standards, ongoing training, maybe even forums where coaches and refs get together to share concerns - but who implements this or pays for it? Since this is soccer, not football or basketball, we're probably on our own like we've always been and you may as well get used to the two man system. If there is change, it will be slow and implemented at the local level. Sorry for the lengthy answer, I just don't see an easy answer to the question you posed.