Only one Ref starts game!

cchssoccer

QUOTE(rotten egg @ Apr 3 2007 - 11:05 PM) 826429399[/snapback]I just love how ppl get on here and state things as if they are the "victims" of some sort of evil scheme. If you are going to be bold enough to post details of an event, you should probably make sure that you know what you are talking about first. Otherwise, you will just be known for fabricating stories to make another team look bad. Or just wanting to complain about what you think happened.... and WHY you think it happened!!! But in this case, you are dead wrong about what happened and why.

1. The refs did not go to the wrong school, the officials assignor made a mistake in the schedule and did not have any referees assigned to the game. He had to pull refs from other games to come and cover this game. He admitted to making the mistake, and BOTH teams had to endure the same wait!!!!

2. We did wait for the 2nd ref for 15 more minutes, but had to start the game due to lighting concerns. The first referee decided to start the match on his own.

3. There were only 3 yellow cards given, and 2 of them were to your team. Both of which were for physical play. And you were correct about the one for delay of game given to our team.

4. As far as representing our school poorly......... that is your opinion. And probably one you should have kept to yourself.

Those are pretty strong statements coming from you Rotten Egg. The ref did not have to start the game at all if there were concerns about weather related issues but he wanted to so he can collect the check. The coaches and possibly the game administrator should have not allowed this to happen. All the power is given to the game administrator before the game. If I was the GA I would have refused to let the ref start the game all alone and definately not if there were weather issues. Of course I am not so your GA made his best and of course failed to watch out for your safety of all things. It is UNSAFE to play a game with one official no matter who the 2 teams are. Do you also realize that the game assignor makes a lot of money not to make mistakes like that. The fee for each school is ungodly. Lets just say for an example the ref assignor charges $100 per team to assign officials and his district has 75 teams that comes out to $7,500 and he did not even do anything yet. So mistakes should not be an option for that kind of money. Anyway...don't be so harsh on cchssoccer, because the mistakes were made by your school officials not his / her school. And before you come back with agree statements about me...I am not even in your district, I am in Middle TN.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChadC @ Apr 4 2007 - 08:52 AM) 826429602[/snapback]Those are pretty strong statements coming from you Rotten Egg. The ref did not have to start the game at all if there were concerns about weather related issues but he wanted to so he can collect the check. The coaches and possibly the game administrator should have not allowed this to happen. All the power is given to the game administrator before the game. If I was the GA I would have refused to let the ref start the game all alone and definately not if there were weather issues. Of course I am not so your GA made his best and of course failed to watch out for your safety of all things. It is UNSAFE to play a game with one official no matter who the 2 teams are. Do you also realize that the game assignor makes a lot of money not to make mistakes like that. The fee for each school is ungodly. Lets just say for an example the ref assignor charges $100 per team to assign officials and his district has 75 teams that comes out to $7,500 and he did not even do anything yet. So mistakes should not be an option for that kind of money. Anyway...don't be so harsh on cchssoccer, because the mistakes were made by your school officials not his / her school. And before you come back with agree statements about me...I am not even in your district, I am in Middle TN.

I have no argument to make with you. Just one suggestion: read the post more carefully -- the word was "lighting" not "lightening"

There was no weather concerns. We do not have lights at our field therefore, we would not have been able to play out the entire game if we had to wait for much longer.

You are correct about the game administrator being in charge, but they allowed the referee to make the call expecting that he knew the correct way to handle the situation. Our coach talked to the other coach about having a club linesmen from each team help out, but the referee did not arrange it.

There was no fault on our school. It was completely the referee. And if the other team didn't want to start, they have just as much right to say something and refuse to start play as the home team does. They only wanted to argue after they lost.

I guess the mistake was on them.... they didn't speak up until it was too late.

CCHS stands for Cumberland County High School.......We played Bradley Central in Cleveland ... Apparently the same situations are occuring in other parts of the state. I wanted to know what to do about situations where only one ref shows up and what we can do about it. I got an answer which was "you do not have to start a game without 2 ref." Same thing happened last night where one ref showed up. We DID NOT start the game until the other ref showed up. Apparently, the late ref could not get off work in time...... Ended up, 150 spectators and players/coaches waited for one late ref. That stunk! Some had to leave early to go to the Lady Vols BB Nat. Championship Game and missed half the soccer game. Life is not fair. Soccer is not fair. Referees are not fair. They are human and make lots of mistakes...Scheduling is black and white...punctual or late.

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Apr 4 2007 - 10:35 AM) 826429690[/snapback]CCHS stands for Cumberland County High School.......We played Bradley Central in Cleveland ... Apparently the same situations are occuring in other parts of the state. I wanted to know what to do about situations where only one ref shows up and what we can do about it. I got an answer which was "you do not have to start a game without 2 ref." Same thing happened last night where one ref showed up. We DID NOT start the game until the other ref showed up. Apparently, the late ref could not get off work in time...... Ended up, 150 spectators and players/coaches waited for one late ref. That stunk! Some had to leave early to go to the Lady Vols BB Nat. Championship Game and missed half the soccer game. Life is not fair. Soccer is not fair. Referees are not fair. They are human and make lots of mistakes...Scheduling is black and white...punctual or late.

That is too bad for the game to have such of officials that are not concern about the safety of the players or the time of nearly 200 people than themselves. By the way, what was the score?

According to the 2006-2007 TSSAA Handbook in section titled "Regulations Governing TSSAA Officials",

4. An official who fails to report for a game or match that has been assigned - unless released by the opposing coaches or unable to report due to accident or other unavoidable cause - shall be sugject to penalty by TSSAA, and will be placed on probation. On second offense, the official will be suspended for 12 months.

In the same publication in the section titled "Girls Soccer, Soccer Regulations", paragraph V. Officials, sub-paragraph B states that a minimum of two officials shall be used in each contest, but three may be used.

There's nothing in the handbook for being late, only if he fails to show. You might have a legitimate complaint with the single official incident.

QUOTE(Law-Five @ Apr 4 2007 - 04:10 PM) 826429988[/snapback]According to the 2006-2007 TSSAA Handbook in section titled "Regulations Governing TSSAA Officials",

4. An official who fails to report for a game or match that has been assigned - unless released by the opposing coaches or unable to report due to accident or other unavoidable cause - shall be sugject to penalty by TSSAA, and will be placed on probation. On second offense, the official will be suspended for 12 months.

In the same publication in the section titled "Girls Soccer, Soccer Regulations", paragraph V. Officials, sub-paragraph B states that a minimum of two officials shall be used in each contest, but three may be used.

There's nothing in the handbook for being late, only if he fails to show. You might have a legitimate complaint with the single official incident.

i think they would not have a case this point, because they wouldn't be saying anything at all about the situation if they had won. if you can't stand up and refuse to play in those circumstances, then you don't have any business trying to do something about it later. so learn from the experience and don't allow the same thing to happen again.

QUOTE(rotten egg @ Apr 4 2007 - 05:04 PM) 826430056[/snapback]i think they would not have a case this point, because they wouldn't be saying anything at all about the situation if they had won. if you can't stand up and refuse to play in those circumstances, then you don't have any business trying to do something about it later. so learn from the experience and don't allow the same thing to happen again.

Please! Now that I know the game doesn't have to start unless two referees are there, an educated decision can be made. Are you crazy? Win, loss, tie. This is sooo beside the point. The referees are suppose to be there to try and enforce the laws of the game and for the safety of the players. Safety and rules. I am not posting because we lost. Acusations about being a poor sport after the fact...I will consider the source ..."Rotten Egg" Holy Goodness! Your positive energy is killing me.

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Apr 4 2007 - 10:34 PM) 826430352[/snapback]Please! Now that I know the game doesn't have to start unless two referees are there, an educated decision can be made. Are you crazy? Win, loss, tie. This is sooo beside the point. The referees are suppose to be there to try and enforce the laws of the game and for the safety of the players. Safety and rules. I am not posting because we lost. Acusations about being a poor sport after the fact...I will consider the source ..."Rotten Egg" Holy Goodness! Your positive energy is killing me.

He is just Rotten Eggs...you are very right the officials are there for the safety of the players and when they decide not to show up no matter of win, loss or tie it is not right. TSSAA should ban those refs from officiating ever again.

consider the source??? haha..... you cannot handle rotten egg!!!

it's kinda like two magnets, if you put alike sides together, they push away from each other. you know what that means?? your own negative energy started pushing mine!

but no worries, we are in agreement about lousy officials.

i totally think we need a better governing system when it comes to referees. sometimes i think they come to a game knowing they are in short supply, and they think we need them so desparately that they are untouchable.

besides what does it mean for a ref to be on probation, and is there any way to know which refs are on probation???

QUOTE(rotten egg @ Apr 5 2007 - 08:47 AM) 826430501[/snapback]consider the source??? haha..... you cannot handle rotten egg!!!

it's kinda like two magnets, if you put alike sides together, they push away from each other. you know what that means?? your own negative energy started pushing mine!

but no worries, we are in agreement about lousy officials.

i totally think we need a better governing system when it comes to referees. sometimes i think they come to a game knowing they are in short supply, and they think we need them so desparately that they are untouchable.

besides what does it mean for a ref to be on probation, and is there any way to know which refs are on probation???

I don't think there is any way to find which officials are on probation (correct me if i am wrong BigG). You are very right about the governing body of officials, it needs an overhaul but there is nobody willing to touch that with a 10 foot pole. They are walking in to games knowing there is no person that can get them in trouble since the rules say..."the officials decisions are binding". So good luck with gettting anything changed. We are all screwed.

QUOTE(ChadC @ Apr 7 2007 - 03:52 PM) 826431962[/snapback]I don't think there is any way to find which officials are on probation (correct me if i am wrong BigG).

Not that I know of... I actually haven't even heard of one being put on probation by the TSSAA. I guess you could call TSSAA headquarters and ask, but I can't see that getting you too far. I know in Knoxville, they are evaluating refs on a more regular basis, though (not the TSSAA but the local ref group).

QUOTE(ChadC @ Apr 7 2007 - 05:52 PM) 826431962[/snapback]I don't think there is any way to find which officials are on probation (correct me if i am wrong BigG). You are very right about the governing body of officials, it needs an overhaul but there is nobody willing to touch that with a 10 foot pole. They are walking in to games knowing there is no person that can get them in trouble since the rules say..."the officials decisions are binding". So good luck with gettting anything changed. We are all screwed.

Wow, the complaining and whining about officials is amazing in this thread!! As a TSSAA and USSF official, I feel compelled to respond.

First off, when you have any problem with an official, your recourse is to speak with your assignor and high school supervisor. Each region has one of each. Please remember that most of us have real jobs, and we do our best to arrive on time which is supposed to be 30 minutes before the game. Sometimes problems happen; I'm an orthopaedic surgeon, and I sometimes have surgical delays or complications which to the best of my ability are often unavoidable. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with tardiness or inability to make the games but realize that these things can happen.

Most refs do this for fun, to stay in shape, and because we love soccer. I would never do it if I didn't have fun! No way is the $45 or $55 worth it to be miserable for two plus hours! Besides, by the time you drive to and from some of our schools which may be 1.5 hours away with gas almost $3 a gallon you're not netting a whole lot anyway.

Timing is one of the most misunderstood aspects of the high school game. In FIFA and club(USSF) soccer, the clock never stops, and the ref has discretion to add time for subs, injuries, delays, hence "stoppage" time. High school has specific rules where the clock is actually stopped for certain situations: goals, misconduct(yellow and red cards), injuries, penalty kicks, and at the discretion of the ref for other delays. So there is no actual "stoppage" time in high school. It always amuses me when one team scores late in the game when they are behind and want to rush the ball to kickoff! The clock is stopped at that point so there is no reason to do that! When the period is over, it is supposed to be over. When you go to the state tournament, they keep the official time on the scoreboard clock; when the horn blows, the period is over. The problem is that some refs are so used to the USSF timing that they estimate time instead of actually stopping their watch in high school as the rules require.

Subs: high school has very liberal sub rules: unlimited for both sides after goals and at halftime no matter if they have checked in or not, unlimited for both at goal kicks, injuries, cards provided they have checked in, unlimited for the team in possession at throw ins and corner kicks provided they have checked in. The nonpossessing team may also sub an unlimited number of players at the other teams throw in or corner if they have checked in and only if the possessing team is subbing. You may not sub if the team in possession of the throw in or corner is not subbing.

Hope this helps a bit. I think it's a little harsh to think you all are screwed. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />