D 1 prospects?

dins8

Unfortunately the reality is if you don't play on a very good club team, you probably are not going to play outside your state or a D1 team. However, there are some very good D2 and NAIA schools who play just as good or even better there most D1 colleges.

The reason club teams are more likely to be see is simply tournaments. Unfortunately, soccer coaches don't get a whole lot of money to travel and recruit, unlike major sports such as basketball and football. So going to major tournaments such as the GIT, Raleigh, Disney, Atlanta for our region is the best recruiting tool a college coach has, unfortunately, they usually only go watch the best of those teams, so if you are on a great club team who has success themselves then you will get seen.

I attended two college seminars, one by Indiana Coach Yeagley and another by Clemson Coach Adair who were the main speakers about college recruits and what to do and not to do. There three most consistent things that came out of their mouths and other coaches is they look for three things when searching for recruits, not that they don't look for anything else, but the three items were:

1. GPA

2. What club team do you play for and what is their success

3. ODP

There were many other factors, but they emphasized those the most. Which is why I think this state could use an all start team at the end of the year, to play a couple of surrounding state teams as well, this way for those boys who don't play club etc... Could get seen by some coaches during those games. It is unfortunate that coaches don't have money to go see most players play in high school, but that's the reality. So a tournament is there best bet. High School tournaments would be another way, like the Hendersonville Classic etc... Players and Coaches not on select teams need to be contacting college coaches and letting them know about these tournaments, they would most likely come to that than an individual game.

Most players from any level is not going to play there first two years any way, you are competing for a starting position against 21 and 22 year olds, who know the coaches system very well and are physically better than you. It takes a lot of hard work in off season to even get a chance to travel with a team your first year, no matter who you are. Those are the expectations that any kids should go in with, but if you work hard, really hard, not only might you travel, you may get to play. Ryan McDonald from FRA, as a freshamn was starting and playing at Louisville last year. He wasn't Gatorade Player of the Year or anything.

Lastly, You need to look at a schools roster, how many seniors, juniors etc. do they have and ask a coach what are going to be your needs for the next three years. IF you are a defender, and they have four starting defenders that are sophomores when you are going to be a freshman, you may want to look for another program that needs you.

Lots of choices out there. A great place to help you get started is www.thesportssource.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you know, great topic. I have to agree with the speed of play problem for that one kid out east. I play club ball and know that the speed of play is drastically different.To go with that the skill levels of all the players on the field varies so much its just weird to play at that. In club ball everyone is good and have to work a lot harder.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 6 2007 - 04:56 PM) 826431479[/snapback]I have written countless glowing letters to coaches with ridiculous rhetoric, and I have made frequent phone calls to coaches on account of my players, but deep down I know that my efforts are futile.

So I am always caught in a big pickle. Do you break a kid's heart and finally be the one to tell him that he is just not good enough to play D 1, or do you waste a collegiate coach's time (and your own time) by trying to force your kids upon him? It seems like a winless situation and a situation that always ends up upsetting someone.

Thanks to those who have read this far. I guess what I am trying to get at is...how do other coaches handle this problem? Moreover, how do you break a kid's heart?

You as a coach (as any coach should) must be honest with a college coach about one of your players. If you tell a college coach that your player is the next Ronaldo, has a great attitude, is a team leader and would be able to play D1, D2, D3 or NAIA and you know that the kid is not that good, has a crap attitude and moans all the time then you are doing your future players a dis-service.

A collge coach will remember your recommendation of the crap player and then in a couple of years time when you do have a legitimate player who wants to play at that college the college coach is not going to take your recommendation seriously. Be honest with the college coaches and more importantly be honest with your players.

It is not breaking a kids heart telling him the truth, the truth will hurt a lot more when he is sitting his first two years knowing full well he is out of his depth.