50% Rule

This has been a big discussion. I have read the rules on the TSSAA website and to me they are still unclear. Will this rule affect aau teams in the spring or just the fall?

Please explain your interpretation.

From website:

50% Rule: Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the same high school roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster.

QUOTE(Coach2001 @ Apr 23 2007 - 12:29 PM) 826443511[/snapback]This has been a big discussion. I have read the rules on the TSSAA website and to me they are still unclear. Will this rule affect aau teams in the spring or just the fall?

Please explain your interpretation.

From website:

50% Rule: Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the same high school roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster.

Is summer "prior to the school season" or after the school season. Or is summer irrelevant? The wording of this rule almost makes it sound like summer is immaterial in the discussion.

"during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team"

This only applies during the school year. From August till the beginning of the Regular season. This does not apply to anything that goes on during the summer. I think that a lot of people are misreading what it says. The key words to read are "during the school year" The school year does not start until school starts in August.