What is up with the Umpires?

ABCDelta3

Do umpires have to stay up to date with rule books??? It just seems like they get worse and worse every year....either not paying attention to the game they are umping, or completely not knowing a rule. I have heard of an umpire calling a girl safe at home plate when she didn't even come close to reaching the plate and got tag out. She ran into the umpire on her way home, but an ump is part of the playing field. HE CALLED HER SAFE!!! HELLO SHE NEVER REACHED HOME, YOU CAN'T JUST GIVE HER THE RUN. And don't get me started on what they see as a strike zone, or when you ask the field ump if a batter check swinged all the way---10 out of 10 times, they weren't paying attention. I have even heard of umps asking the catcher if a pitch was a strike.

I want to know what it takes to be an umpire, and if keeping up with the rules is involved, cause if it isn't TSSAA, NSA, and ASA needs to reevaluate the system of umpires.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ABCDelta3 @ May 8 2007 - 11:56 PM) 826455056[/snapback]Do umpires have to stay up to date with rule books??? It just seems like they get worse and worse every year....either not paying attention to the game they are umping, or completely not knowing a rule. I have heard of an umpire calling a girl safe at home plate when she didn't even come close to reaching the plate and got tag out. She ran into the umpire on her way home, but an ump is part of the playing field. HE CALLED HER SAFE!!! HELLO SHE NEVER REACHED HOME, YOU CAN'T JUST GIVE HER THE RUN. And don't get me started on what they see as a strike zone, or when you ask the field ump if a batter check swinged all the way---10 out of 10 times, they weren't paying attention. I have even heard of umps asking the catcher if a pitch was a strike.

I want to know what it takes to be an umpire, and if keeping up with the rules is involved, cause if it isn't TSSAA, NSA, and ASA needs to reevaluate the system of umpires.

Nice job with your first post ever. [/sarcasm]

First of all, NSA and ASA have nothing to do with high school softball. Nothing at all. High school plays by NFHS rules. The only relationship between ASA and high school softball is that all bats must meet the 2004 ASA Standard.

Second, "I have heard of....." is about as unreliable as it gets. Where, pray tell, have you "heard" of umpires doing this? I "heard" that Bigfoot was roaming northwest Tennessee and had a hut somewhere out on Reelfoot Lake, but that doesn't mean I believe it. Did you SEE this happen? If so, where? What game? What was the exact situation? Perhaps the runner was obstructed by a defender at some point before reaching home and the umpire had awarded her home plate as a result of the obstruction call. Since, by rule, a runner can never be put out between the bases where she is obstructed, it is possible for the runner to be tagged before reaching home, yet still called safe because of the obstruction. Ever think about that? But since you just HEARD about it and apparently didn't actually SEE it, maybe you don't know exactly what happened.

And third, 10 out of 10 times, the base umpire has a better angle to tell if a batter offered at the ball (or, as you so eloquently put it, "swinged" at it...I seriously hope you got your education in a state other than Tennessee) on a check swing. The plate umpire, if he was doing his job correctly, was focused on tracking the ball all the way from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's mitt. And due to the lack of ability for the human eye to focus on those two separate items simultaneously, sometimes the plate umpire simply cannot tell whether the batter went around or not -- particularly on a pitch in the dirt. If the umpire is focused on the position of the bat, then he's going to miss the pitch EVERY TIME. Same for people that like to complain about a batter stepping out of the box. If the umpire's focus is where it should be -- on the PITCH -- then he's probably not going to see all those little things that everyone likes to complain about.

As for what it takes to be an umpire.....sorry, I'm not going to go through that long spiel again. I've done it enough, and I'm tired of it. But as I always like to say...if you think you can do better, PLEASE contact the TSSAA. Scholarly research (including some I have conducted myself) indicates a severe shortage of officials across the country at the high school level, and state high school associations -- the TSSAA included -- need all the help they can get.

QUOTE(bigwes68 @ May 9 2007 - 01:04 AM) 826455129[/snapback]Nice job with your first post ever. [/sarcasm]

First of all, NSA and ASA have nothing to do with high school softball. Nothing at all. High school plays by NFHS rules. The only relationship between ASA and high school softball is that all bats must meet the 2004 ASA Standard.

Second, "I have heard of....." is about as unreliable as it gets. Where, pray tell, have you "heard" of umpires doing this? I "heard" that Bigfoot was roaming northwest Tennessee and had a hut somewhere out on Reelfoot Lake, but that doesn't mean I believe it. Did you SEE this happen? If so, where? What game? What was the exact situation? Perhaps the runner was obstructed by a defender at some point before reaching home and the umpire had awarded her home plate as a result of the obstruction call. Since, by rule, a runner can never be put out between the bases where she is obstructed, it is possible for the runner to be tagged before reaching home, yet still called safe because of the obstruction. Ever think about that? But since you just HEARD about it and apparently didn't actually SEE it, maybe you don't know exactly what happened.

And third, 10 out of 10 times, the base umpire has a better angle to tell if a batter offered at the ball (or, as you so eloquently put it, "swinged" at it...I seriously hope you got your education in a state other than Tennessee) on a check swing. The plate umpire, if he was doing his job correctly, was focused on tracking the ball all the way from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's mitt. And due to the lack of ability for the human eye to focus on those two separate items simultaneously, sometimes the plate umpire simply cannot tell whether the batter went around or not -- particularly on a pitch in the dirt. If the umpire is focused on the position of the bat, then he's going to miss the pitch EVERY TIME. Same for people that like to complain about a batter stepping out of the box. If the umpire's focus is where it should be -- on the PITCH -- then he's probably not going to see all those little things that everyone likes to complain about.

As for what it takes to be an umpire.....sorry, I'm not going to go through that long spiel again. I've done it enough, and I'm tired of it. But as I always like to say...if you think you can do better, PLEASE contact the TSSAA. Scholarly research (including some I have conducted myself) indicates a severe shortage of officials across the country at the high school level, and state high school associations -- the TSSAA included -- need all the help they can get.

I agree! Officials have a very difficult job. We need to remember that they are only human and can make mistakes. If you feel you can do a better job, go for it.

I umpired games for the past two summers and while it is a difficult job( i.e dealing with parents, trying to keep the same strike zone when one pitcher is fast and the other is very slow) they still need to be up to date on rules. We had a call last night when the girl fouled the ball and he called it just a strike and the runner on first advanced to second on a steal. The bat completely hit the ball. You could even hear the sound! Even if they make a bad call though, if a coach deems it necessary, they should make an appeal. It can make a difference.

QUOTE(softball_pitcher4 @ May 9 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826455316[/snapback]I umpired games for the past two summers and while it is a difficult job( i.e dealing with parents, trying to keep the same strike zone when one pitcher is fast and the other is very slow) they still need to be up to date on rules. We had a call last night when the girl fouled the ball and he called it just a strike and the runner on first advanced to second on a steal. The bat completely hit the ball. You could even hear the sound! Even if they make a bad call though, if a coach deems it necessary, they should make an appeal. It can make a difference.

What "new" rules are umpires supposed to be keeping up to date on. Usually umpires are 'judged" by people who have either seen to much or to little softball (which according to the point of view may be the same thing). The most infamous rules that cause confusion are infield fly, obstruction, substitution, and dropped third strike and they have been a part of the game from its inception. Everything else is pretty much a "judgement call", in which case as softball_pitcher4 states is correct, calling consistantly for two different styles of pitchers is difficult. One may have a great inside pitch, while the other may have a great pitch that breaks to far inside, one may throw a mean change-up the other a 60 mph fastball, one may throw a rise ball and the other a drop, most good umpires simply try to see if the pitcher is locating the pitch correctly (i.e. is she throwing it in the mit without the catcher having to move it, then if it is in the zone, thus most good umpires will have a slightly delayed call, one of parents biggest pet peaves). The biggest inconsisantcy I have seen does not have a paticular "rule", while umpires are supposed to know this, the problem is knowing what position to be in to make the correct call. The majority of "bad calls" I have seen have been due to this. The differance between a good umpire and a bad one in my opinion is not their judgement (as stated before we are all human), but which one can remember to get in good position in the heat of the moment. I am one of the most critical people there is when it comes to umpiring. I have been on both sides of the ball, coaching and calling and neither one is as easy as most people suspect. However, to all you umpires out there, even when I leave the ball park dissapointed, I leave it with respect for your position.

QUOTE(softball_pitcher4 @ May 9 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826455316[/snapback]I umpired games for the past two summers and while it is a difficult job( i.e dealing with parents, trying to keep the same strike zone when one pitcher is fast and the other is very slow) they still need to be up to date on rules. We had a call last night when the girl fouled the ball and he called it just a strike and the runner on first advanced to second on a steal. The bat completely hit the ball. You could even hear the sound! Even if they make a bad call though, if a coach deems it necessary, they should make an appeal. It can make a difference.

Sorry for the repost softball_pitcher4, but I have a question about the call in the game you mentioned. Did the catcher catch the ball that was hit by the batter? If so the pitch is not a "foul ball" but a "foul tip" in which case the ball is a strike and is also a live ball(umpire should have called a strike and indicated a foul tip with his/her hand motion). In this case the runner can advance and is liable to be put out the same as any other pitch when a runner is stealing. I was not sure of your situation but thought this could be the case from your description. Hope this helps, if not the situation and batter obviously made contact with the ball, the umpire blew one.

QUOTE(JC#1fan @ May 9 2007 - 12:13 PM) 826455464[/snapback]Sorry for the repost softball_pitcher4, but I have a question about the call in the game you mentioned. Did the catcher catch the ball that was hit by the batter? If so the pitch is not a "foul ball" but a "foul tip" in which case the ball is a strike and is also a live ball(umpire should have called a strike and indicated a foul tip with his/her hand motion). In this case the runner can advance and is liable to be put out the same as any other pitch when a runner is stealing. I was not sure of your situation but thought this could be the case from your description. Hope this helps, if not the situation and batter obviously made contact with the ball, the umpire blew one.

You are absolutely correct in the above scenario. It is a "strike" and "live" if caught by the Catcher, therefore a steal can be advanced.

As far as the earlier post' question regarding what "new" rules apply, the one I've seen most umpires struggle with is the rule change from last year on "blocking the bag or plate". There is zero consistency across the board (statewide) in high school and travel. There is definitely confusion and should be rectified at their umpire meetings. I've seen far too many blown calls on this item, simply because it appears that not all umpires understand the ruling. Also, far too many coaches "do not understand" the rule either, and waste time arguing about something they're wrong about. This rule change is major, and has and will continue to affect outcomes of games. Everyone (umpires and coaches) needs to "read the rule" and understand it.

Regarding the overrall issue of umpiring. It is obvious that there is a shortage of good ones and it does seem the quality of officiating has decreased in the last couple of years. Even the post season, which you'd hope would have the best officiating has seen terrible calls. Everyone should always appreciate a good one when they see one, and never fail to thank the good ones for what they do!

QUOTE(outasight @ May 10 2007 - 07:05 AM) 826456254[/snapback]You are absolutely correct in the above scenario. It is a "strike" and "live" if caught by the Catcher, therefore a steal can be advanced.

As far as the earlier post' question regarding what "new" rules apply, the one I've seen most umpires struggle with is the rule change from last year on "blocking the bag or plate". There is zero consistency across the board (statewide) in high school and travel. There is definitely confusion and should be rectified at their umpire meetings. I've seen far too many blown calls on this item, simply because it appears that not all umpires understand the ruling. Also, far too many coaches "do not understand" the rule either, and waste time arguing about something they're wrong about. This rule change is major, and has and will continue to affect outcomes of games. Everyone (umpires and coaches) needs to "read the rule" and understand it.

Regarding the overrall issue of umpiring. It is obvious that there is a shortage of good ones and it does seem the quality of officiating has decreased in the last couple of years. Even the post season, which you'd hope would have the best officiating has seen terrible calls. Everyone should always appreciate a good one when they see one, and never fail to thank the good ones for what they do!

How has this rule changed? It is my understanding that this rule has not changed, but is now a rule being stressed. As far as I know the defensive player has always been required to have posession of the ball before they could block the bag. This rule being stressed is a product of officials meeting and discussing the concerns of coaches from the last season. The rule book rarely changes, but if you will notice there will be a new area of concern every year. From complaints that I have heard this year, next year will probably be about umpires being in the correct position to make calls. One thing that most people don't realize (exspecially during the post season) is there is almost always a umpire signing agent (supervisor) at most games. They will be dressed just like you and me and if you don't know that they are an experianced umpire you will never know they are there, however, an umpire that blows a call will after the game. As for the blocking the bag calls, I agree about the inconsistancy, but my observation is that it is a result of improper positioning not knowledge of the rule. The general rule is that there is no way an umpire can make a call from behind the defender (meaning the umpire must always try to be inside the play). I have seen teams eliminated from the tourney this year just for this reason.

QUOTE(ABCDelta3 @ May 8 2007 - 09:56 PM) 826455056[/snapback]Do umpires have to stay up to date with rule books??? It just seems like they get worse and worse every year....either not paying attention to the game they are umping, or completely not knowing a rule. I have heard of an umpire calling a girl safe at home plate when she didn't even come close to reaching the plate and got tag out. She ran into the umpire on her way home, but an ump is part of the playing field. HE CALLED HER SAFE!!! HELLO SHE NEVER REACHED HOME, YOU CAN'T JUST GIVE HER THE RUN. And don't get me started on what they see as a strike zone, or when you ask the field ump if a batter check swinged all the way---10 out of 10 times, they weren't paying attention. I have even heard of umps asking the catcher if a pitch was a strike.

what game are you talking about

QUOTE(JC#1fan @ May 9 2007 - 11:55 AM) 826455451[/snapback]What "new" rules are umpires supposed to be keeping up to date on. Usually umpires are 'judged" by people who have either seen to much or to little softball (which according to the point of view may be the same thing). The most infamous rules that cause confusion are infield fly, obstruction, substitution, and dropped third strike and they have been a part of the game from its inception. Everything else is pretty much a "judgement call", in which case as softball_pitcher4 states is correct, calling consistantly for two different styles of pitchers is difficult. One may have a great inside pitch, while the other may have a great pitch that breaks to far inside, one may throw a mean change-up the other a 60 mph fastball, one may throw a rise ball and the other a drop, most good umpires simply try to see if the pitcher is locating the pitch correctly (i.e. is she throwing it in the mit without the catcher having to move it, then if it is in the zone, thus most good umpires will have a slightly delayed call, one of parents biggest pet peaves). The biggest inconsisantcy I have seen does not have a paticular "rule", while umpires are supposed to know this, the problem is knowing what position to be in to make the correct call. The majority of "bad calls" I have seen have been due to this. The differance between a good umpire and a bad one in my opinion is not their judgement (as stated before we are all human), but which one can remember to get in good position in the heat of the moment. I am one of the most critical people there is when it comes to umpiring. I have been on both sides of the ball, coaching and calling and neither one is as easy as most people suspect. However, to all you umpires out there, even when I leave the ball park dissapointed, I leave it with respect for your position.

Softball Right-of-way Rules Go Into Effect in 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INDIANAPOLIS (July 5, 2006) - Effective with the 2007 high school softball season, new rules will dictate who has the right-of-way between a base runner and a fielder on a non-controlled batted ball. These rules revisions were approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Softball Rules Committee at its June 18-19 meeting in Indianapolis, and then were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

"A player legally running the bases has full responsibility to avoid contact with a fielder who is attempting to make an initial play on a batted ball," said Ralph Swearngin, executive director of the Georgia High School Association and chairperson of the NFHS Softball Rules Committee. "However, after a fielder has had an opportunity to make an initial play on a batted ball, the responsibility for contact changes. Once a fielder, excluding the pitcher, misplays a batted ball, that fielder should not be protected and, therefore, should not be permitted to obstruct the advancement of a runner."

A revised definition of interference states that a fielder is considered to be making an initial play on a fair batted ball when she has a reasonable chance to catch or gain control of the ball that no other fielder, except the pitcher, has touched. The fielder is still considered to be making an initial play if she fails to gain control of the batted ball, but is within a "step and reach" of the ball. This rule clarifies that the runner is charged with interference if she makes contact while the fielder is attempting to make the initial play on a fair batted ball.

In another change, Rule 3-6-17 expands the penalty when a player removes any lines of the batter's box or on the field of play. A team warning will be issued, with the next offense resulting in a strike for the offense or a ball for the defense. The change now restricts any subsequent offender to the dugout along with the head coach.

In addition to these two rules changes, the committee approved six major editorial changes. New Rule 2-15 clearly defines the confines of the field of play as the designated dugout/bench area and any enclosed or marked area designated as a warm-up area that is adjacent to the field and within view of the umpire(s).

"This rule identifies an area that has been left to umpire or site-by-site discretion," said Mary Struckhoff, NFHS assistant director and liaison to the NFHS Softball Rules Committee.

Malicious contact penalties will be clarified with additions made to Rule 3-6-18, which now states that if malicious contact is made by the offense, the play is dead immediately and the offender is declared out, unless she has already scored. If the defense is responsible for the malicious contact, the offender is ejected at the end of playing action.

For state associations that have chosen to utilize a double first base, Rule 8-10 will now provide more detailed information.

"With more states permitting the use of a double first base, we thought it necessary to make some additions to clarify which player uses the white and colored portions of the base," Struckhoff said.

The committee also identified Points of Emphasis for the 2007 season. Among those are concussions, batter delays, obstruction and interference, and inspection of equipment by umpires.

Softball is the fourth-most popular sport among girls at the high school level with 364,759 participants during the 2004-05 season, according to the High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the NFHS. It also ranks fourth in school sponsorship across the nation.