Giles Co. 10, Marshall Co. 4 - Bobcats win 10-AA

PageMan

Marshall Co......1..2..1....0..0..0....0.....4..16..4

Giles Co...........1..4..0....0..3..2....X....10..8...0

Winning Pitcher - Cody Whitworth - 4.67 inn - 4 runs - 4 ER - 12 hits - 2 K - 2 walks

Relief Pitcher with Save - Kelby Sutton - 2.33 inn - 0 runs - 0 ER - 4 hits - 0 K - 0 walks

Losing Pitcher - Koda Watkins - 4 inn - 6 runs - 1 ER - 4 hits - 2 K - 2 walks

Relief Pitcher - Zach Cross - 0.33 inn - 2 runs - 1 ER - 2 hits - 0 K - 1 walk

Relief Pitcher - Judd Stoltz - 1.33 inn - 2 runs - 2 ER - 2 hits - 3 K - 2 walks

Relief Pitcher - Justin McQueen - 0.33 inn - 0 runs - 0 ER - 0 hits - 1 K - 1 walk

Marshall Co. scored 1 run in the top of the 1st inn as Zach Cross singled, advanced to 3rd on a double by Justin McQueen, and scored on a single by Judd Stoltz.

Giles Co. tied the score at 1 all in the bottom of the 1st inn as Josh Perez singled, stole 2nd, advanced to 3rd on a passed ball, and scored on a sac. fly by Clay Sanderson. Note that I scored this run as unearned because without the passed ball, Perez would not have been in position to score on the sac. fly.

Marshall Co. added 2 runs in the top of the 2nd inn as Koda Watkins doubled, advanced to 3rd on a FC4 by Cory Searls, who also stole 2nd, and both Watkins' CR Cory Duval and Searls scored on a single by Brad Barnes as Marshall took the lead at 3-1.

Giles came back in the bottom of the 2nd with 4 unearned runs as with 1 out, Cody Whitworth reached base on an infield error, Drew McMasters walked, and both Whitworth and McMasters' CR Tobias Houston advanced on a wild pitch to 3rd and 2nd respectively. Brent Hargrove then hit a ball to 3rd and an attempted put out on Whitworth failed and Hargrove reached base on a FC5. With the bases loaded, Josh Perez hit a ball to 2nd, but the attempted put out on Hargrove failed because of a dropped ball and Whitworth and Tobias scored on the play that should have been the 3rd out. Hargrove scored on a 1-3 ground out by Rob Laxson and Perez scored on a single by Rob Holley as Giles Co. took the lead at 5-3.

Marshall Co. added their final run in the top of the 3rd as Colton Primm started the inning with a HR to center field as Giles still led at 5-4. Marshall had 2 more singles in the inning, but left the runners stranded.

Giles gained control with 3 runs in the bottom of the 5th inn as Rob Laxson singled, advanced to 2nd on a wild pitch, and scored on an infield error on a ball hit by Rob Holley as the ball went into the outfield. Holley scored on a double by Clay Sanderson and Sanderson scored on a wild pitch after a single by Kelby Sutton as Giles now leads 8-4.

Giles added their final 2 runs in the bottom of the 6th as with 2 outs, Clay Sanderson singled, advanced to 2nd on a passed ball, and Sam Edgmon walked. Tobias Houston entered the game as a PR for Sanderson and both Houston and Edgon advanced on a wild pitch and both scored on a single by Kelby Sutton to make the score 10-4 Giles.

Marshall threatened in the top of the 7th as with 2 outs, Koda Watkins, Seth Nance, and Cory Searls all singled to load the bases, but Giles got the final out on a 6-3 ground out to win the game and the tournament championship at 10-4.

Both teams advance to Region 5-AA Tournament action on Monday as Giles Co. will host the runner-up on District 9-AA while Marshall Co. will travel to the winner of 9-AA. I do not know for certain who won in 9-AA, but I assume that David Lipscomb did and that Ezell-Harding was the runner-up.

i would like to congratulate GC for winning the district championship i thought you guys played great even though i thought this was going to be a rebuilding year. you overcame alot this season and i saw last night that it doesnt matter who you have on the field as long as they know what they are doing and know the game of baseball you guys are going to be successful

and another thing i would like to do is congratulate the GC football,basketball,and baseball teams for competeing at very high levels this year you student athletes at that school have turned that school into a known sports school

Here are some other stats:

GC: Batt Aver: 286, Slg %: 321, On Base %: 412, Runners Left on Base: 7

MC: Batt Aver: 457, Slg %: 657, On Base %: 486, Runners Left on Base: 12

I find it quite amazing that Marshall Co. could only get 4 runs with 16 hits that included a HR, 1 Triple, and 2 Doubles while Giles Co. had 8 hits with only 1 Double and scores 10 runs.

I guess the old saying that a good defense will beat a good offense applies in this case.

QUOTE(PageMan @ May 11 2007 - 10:05 AM) 826457224[/snapback]Here are some other stats:

GC: Batt Aver: 286, Slg %: 321, On Base %: 412, Runners Left on Base: 7

MC: Batt Aver: 457, Slg %: 657, On Base %: 486, Runners Left on Base: 12

I find it quite amazing that Marshall Co. could only get 4 runs with 16 hits that included a HR, 1 Triple, and 2 Doubles while Giles Co. had 8 hits with only 1 Double and scores 10 runs.

I guess the old saying that a good defense will beat a good offense applies in this case.

I second that Pageman. 16 hits should produce more than 4 runs.

Eight of those 16 hits came from the last three batters in the lineup.

It's a crazy game.

Don't be suprised if we don't stand toe to toe with David Lipscomb.

Our defense has to shore up though if we're to have a chance.