Wilson Central at Clarksville High

Carolina_Bo4JC

QUOTE(mwaynesmith @ May 16 2007 - 09:51 PM) 826460764[/snapback]Not fair to put the blame on the keeper for this one. Wilson Central had another 12 or so minutes to convert and didn't. Plenty of opportunities but no finish. This keeper helped bring this team to the regions with an outstanding record in saves. One play is not and never has been the winning or losing of a game. Good season for both of these teams and good luck to Clarksville tomorrow night. You'll need it.

Not fair to blame the keeper for this one? Are you ignorant about soccer, or just plain blind. He didn't even attempt a save after serving on a silver platter the ball up to the other team. 12 minutes to capitalize? Correct, we didn't, but would we have been in overtime had the keeper made the save on the opening goal. It bounced twice in the box and he didn't come out to save it. He gave up on the team after he signed for Cumberland. He was not the saving grace for the team, and he did not bring them to Regionals. The heart of the other players who gave all season. He didn't deserve All-District, and neither did I. I, as a field player, was overrated too.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mwaynesmith @ May 16 2007 - 09:51 PM) 826460764[/snapback]Not fair to put the blame on the keeper for this one. Wilson Central had another 12 or so minutes to convert and didn't. Plenty of opportunities but no finish. This keeper helped bring this team to the regions with an outstanding record in saves. One play is not and never has been the winning or losing of a game. Good season for both of these teams and good luck to Clarksville tomorrow night. You'll need it.

Actually if anyone saw that goal kick it is very easy to point the blame towards the keep... yes there was 12 minutes left and Central did control the last 12 minutes, however, Clarksville defense held it down back there.... but i believe had we had a keeper who took goal kicks IN THE AIR... this game would have gone into a shootout. But hats off to Clarksville they played an outstanding game. good luck Clarksville we beat Hendersonville and so can you guys!

P.S. CHS has the most class out of any team in the state of Tennessee.... Good Luck!

Remember why these two teams were in overtime in the first place. You were tied after 80 minutes of regular play. I don't keep statistics but sure there were several saves during these first 80 minutes. And if the offense had finished on more than one goal you would not have even played tonight. You can be critical of one play but not recognize the positives throughout the season(s). You must be a Central player 'cause you're showing way too much emotion on this one. Anyone else or any other plays you want to critique? Sorry I've offended you but no, I'm not ignorant about soccer. And I don't point out problems with individuals in a team sport. Especially post-season. That should be left up to the coach and the team. I might even agree with you with the all district decisions but apparently neither you nor I got to vote. And by the way, I saw very little 'perfect' soccer tonight or throughout the season. It just doesn't happen.

QUOTE(mwaynesmith @ May 16 2007 - 10:35 PM) 826460836[/snapback]Remember why these two teams were in overtime in the first place. You were tied after 80 minutes of regular play. I don't keep statistics but sure there were several saves during these first 80 minutes. And if the offense had finished on more than one goal you would not have even played tonight. You can be critical of one play but not recognize the positives throughout the season(s). You must be a Central player 'cause you're showing way too much emotion on this one. Anyone else or any other plays you want to critique? Sorry I've offended you but no, I'm not ignorant about soccer. And I don't point out problems with individuals in a team sport. Especially post-season. That should be left up to the coach and the team. I might even agree with you with the all district decisions but apparently neither you nor I got to vote. And by the way, I saw very little 'perfect' soccer tonight or throughout the season. It just doesn't happen.

Several saves? Yes, he did save the ball, but it would be safe to say that anyone with gloves on could have made the saves. Perfect soccer doesn't happen, I will be the first to admit that, but people can at least try. It is a team sport as you've stated; however, if you are going to be a part of the team then you must act like it. Meaning you give your all, and when you can't you come out. There were positives, however there would have been more had the team been an entire team, not ten players and a college player.

I admit I was a weak link on the field, that is why I didn't deserve All-District. Nate, Musa, Emilio, Dyna, Jared--they deserved that award.

Look, neither of us signed up on this forum with anonymous logins. I think that says a lot about your maturity and as for me, I'm so old it doesn't matter. Let's just make sure we don't say anything that either one of us would regret, if we haven't already. This thing is kinda like open to the whole world to see. All I'm saying is that you are playing in a team sport. Yes, it is with a bunch of individuals but the results, either good or bad, is based on the team working together and supporting one-another.

And for what it's worth. I think that the entire team deserved to be all-district this year. Not only did you have a winning season but you advanced to regionals the first time in the school's history. And you have a win against a probable state finalist. Clarksville had banners on the fence going back almost 20 years and you guys have only been around 5. And I don't see any individual on this team as a weak link, neither you nor the goalie tonight. And if you were to have put gloves on me for this game I doubt I could have had any saves at all (probably the same for either of your coaches). And I'm also sure that between the team and the coach this goalie was tending the net tonight for a good reason. There are probably other potential keepers on the team but for reasons known only to the team and the coach he was the man for this season and for this game. I also don't think it is fair for anyone to say that any other person is not giving his all. We've all been in his position where we've botched something one time or another. I could list many and probably you could too.

Good luck next season whatever you decide to do. It's late and I'm an old fart so pick this up tomorrow if you wish.

QUOTE(mwaynesmith @ May 16 2007 - 11:24 PM) 826460882[/snapback]Look, neither of us signed up on this forum with anonymous logins. I think that says a lot about your maturity and as for me, I'm so old it doesn't matter. Let's just make sure we don't say anything that either one of us would regret, if we haven't already. This thing is kinda like open to the whole world to see. All I'm saying is that you are playing in a team sport. Yes, it is with a bunch of individuals but the results, either good or bad, is based on the team working together and supporting one-another.

And for what it's worth. I think that the entire team deserved to be all-district this year. Not only did you have a winning season but you advanced to regionals the first time in the school's history. And you have a win against a probable state finalist. Clarksville had banners on the fence going back almost 20 years and you guys have only been around 5. And I don't see any individual on this team as a weak link, neither you nor the goalie tonight. And if you were to have put gloves on me for this game I doubt I could have had any saves at all (probably the same for either of your coaches). And I'm also sure that between the team and the coach this goalie was tending the net tonight for a good reason. There are probably other potential keepers on the team but for reasons known only to the team and the coach he was the man for this season and for this game. I also don't think it is fair for anyone to say that any other person is not giving his all. We've all been in his position where we've botched something one time or another. I could list many and probably you could too.

Good luck next season whatever you decide to do. It's late and I'm an old fart so pick this up tomorrow if you wish.

I will assure you that his heart wasn't in it, at least not the latter part. I have botched things, but I always try. I believe that the entire team has made a great effort, it's just that the motivation came from different places. Being a keeper myself I can say that soccer is a team sport, but that as a keeper you are the most individualistic aspect. It is a lot of pressure--but someone has to do it. I appreciate the maturity, and I admit I have been rather vitriolic, but it is with just reason. The reason--seniority. Everyone on the team knows it. I hope Clarksville does well, and as I scream in every game, we all need to stop bickering.

I hope that everyone, no matter where they choose to direct their life, succeeds.

QUOTE(mwaynesmith @ May 16 2007 - 11:24 PM) 826460882[/snapback]Look, neither of us signed up on this forum with anonymous logins. I think that says a lot about your maturity and as for me, I'm so old it doesn't matter. Let's just make sure we don't say anything that either one of us would regret, if we haven't already. This thing is kinda like open to the whole world to see. All I'm saying is that you are playing in a team sport. Yes, it is with a bunch of individuals but the results, either good or bad, is based on the team working together and supporting one-another.

Well said. I hope your advice is heeded. As the old adage goes, "It' nigh on impossible to unring a bell".

QUOTE(BellowingBrit13 @ May 16 2007 - 11:05 PM) 826460793[/snapback]Not fair to blame the keeper for this one? Are you ignorant about soccer, or just plain blind. He didn't even attempt a save after serving on a silver platter the ball up to the other team. 12 minutes to capitalize? Correct, we didn't, but would we have been in overtime had the keeper made the save on the opening goal. It bounced twice in the box and he didn't come out to save it. He gave up on the team after he signed for Cumberland. He was not the saving grace for the team, and he did not bring them to Regionals. The heart of the other players who gave all season. He didn't deserve All-District, and neither did I. I, as a field player, was overrated too.

Given, I was not at your game. And it has been a few years since I have been around Cetral soccer, so I am not on top of the culture of the team up there anymore. But I am sorry to see players be so quick to turn on one another. Wilson Central was far from perfect when I was coaching them - we had little talent and little administrative support. But I did see future leaders in boys like Nate Smith. I hope he chooses to step in this tension. Your season is over, but you have much to be proud of. Hold your head up. You have all brought Central a LONG way. But at the end of the day, you need to remember who your teammates are and stand by them. I hesitated to get involved in this discussion because tempers are clearly hot. And, like I said, it has been a few years since I have been involved, but seeing players go at each other so intentionally is a little disturbing.

Good luck next season, Cats. Be proud. Well done on putting Central on the soccer map this season.

I would like top finally thank someone for congratulating the team who won and not badgering the team who lost. I have never seen so many people say that it was such a series of problems thast caused a team to lose. Maybe the other team played better, maybe the other team (at that point) was better, and maybe there's a reason that the other team (I seem to have forgotten their names due to the fact that they shouldn't have won in the first place) had all those banners. I seem to remember the same situation in which Hendersonville was sub-.500 and took Clarksville into overtime, except that was in the regional finals the year (are you all sitting down) that Clarksville went to the state championship. Can you believe that? A team with a bad record went the distance with a team with a good record. That was much to the attribution of Russ Plummer knowing how to win when it counts. The same goes for Donahue at Clarksville. You guys seem to have completely forgotten that both Plummer and Donahue have done this year after year. You Wilson Central boys have also failed to come up with an excuse as to why Hendersonville beat you guys like a drum in the District Finals, after having lost to you all in the regular season. The arrogance you all display is really disturbing. You should commend the coach at Wilson Central for the successful season. You should also congratulate the deserving team. Remember, it's not far to criticize WCHS for losing, but it is far to commend the other team for winning.

I would like top finally thank someone for congratulating the team who won and not badgering the team who lost. I have never seen so many people say that it was such a series of problems thast caused a team to lose. Maybe the other team played better, maybe the other team (at that point) was better, and maybe there's a reason that the other team (I seem to have forgotten their names due to the fact that they shouldn't have won in the first place) had all those banners. I seem to remember the same situation in which Hendersonville was sub-.500 and took Clarksville into overtime, except that was in the regional finals the year (are you all sitting down) that Clarksville went to the state championship. Can you believe that? A team with a bad record went the distance with a team with a good record. That was much to the attribution of Russ Plummer knowing how to win when it counts. The same goes for Donahue at Clarksville. You guys seem to have completely forgotten that both Plummer and Donahue have done this year after year. You Wilson Central boys have also failed to come up with an excuse as to why Hendersonville beat you guys like a drum in the District Finals, after having lost to you all in the regular season. The arrogance you all display is really disturbing. You should commend the coach at Wilson Central for the successful season. You should also congratulate the deserving team. Remember, it's not far to criticize WCHS for losing, but it is far to commend the other team for winning.

QUOTE(BellowingBrit13 @ May 16 2007 - 09:03 PM) 826460658[/snapback]2 to 1 Clarksville.

The goal came within the first two minutes of the first half of overtime. The keeper took a goal kick, botched it, then Clarksville took a shot from about twenty-five yards out to keeper, who lacked the effort to even attempt a save.

Good luck Clarksville. You better win state for us, and for yourselves.

Correction, if Clarksville is blessed enough to win state, they will not be doing it for you, simply for themselves.

QUOTE(BellowingBrit13 @ May 16 2007 - 10:05 PM) 826460793[/snapback]Not fair to blame the keeper for this one? Are you ignorant about soccer, or just plain blind. He didn't even attempt a save after serving on a silver platter the ball up to the other team. 12 minutes to capitalize? Correct, we didn't, but would we have been in overtime had the keeper made the save on the opening goal. It bounced twice in the box and he didn't come out to save it. He gave up on the team after he signed for Cumberland. He was not the saving grace for the team, and he did not bring them to Regionals. The heart of the other players who gave all season. He didn't deserve All-District, and neither did I. I, as a field player, was overrated too.

Who the heck are you to judge your keeper's motives, and then use your accusations as a crutch for your teams' failings. You win as a team. You also lose as a team. If you cannot stomach that, go bowling, or better yet do nothing. You rightfully should blame the rest of your offense for not being capable of scoring more than one point during the game. Your twisted logic puts you on a pedestal to do just that.

Central has proven the fact that attitudes can make or break a situation. You did this by winning games you had no business winning, then losing when you shouldn't have. There is a hint here about attitude, as it applies to the rest of what you do.

You should be thanking your entire team for the season you had this year, because it is the entire team that brought you this far, and the entire team that was beaten last night.

Go bowling.

QUOTE(jfmillard1975 @ May 17 2007 - 05:50 AM) 826460930[/snapback]Given, I was not at your game. And it has been a few years since I have been around Cetral soccer, so I am not on top of the culture of the team up there anymore. But I am sorry to see players be so quick to turn on one another. Wilson Central was far from perfect when I was coaching them - we had little talent and little administrative support. But I did see future leaders in boys like Nate Smith. I hope he chooses to step in this tension. Your season is over, but you have much to be proud of. Hold your head up. You have all brought Central a LONG way. But at the end of the day, you need to remember who your teammates are and stand by them. I hesitated to get involved in this discussion because tempers are clearly hot. And, like I said, it has been a few years since I have been involved, but seeing players go at each other so intentionally is a little disturbing.

Good luck next season, Cats. Be proud. Well done on putting Central on the soccer map this season.

John, it's good hearing from you again. Wish we could have seen you at some of the games this year.