What's Happening in 4A?

jrlcm

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is time that Maryville really gets aggressive with the schedule. Alcoa and WB are games that need to be played.

One game every year in the Heritage spot with the best of the best. It's time, all of the others around the nation are doing it. I would like to see how they compare.

I'm not so sure that the stewards of the program necessarily believe it to be in the best interest of the program to replace a cross-town rivalry. It is sure nice for fans to make fantasy matchups to see how everyone compares, but the school must think about the business and logistical side of the picture.

Cross-town matchups make for a huge gate regardless of how one-sided the rivalry is.

Marquee matchups require travel time and expense that is otherwise not incurred.

It also must be considered that the kids are student-athletes and not athlete-students. If they don't get it done in the classroom, they don't get onto the field. Taking kids out of class for roadtrips, etc is rarely in the best interest of the student. And believe it or not, MHS is first and foremost an academic institution.

MHS gets enough recognition for its players and accomplishments without having to prove anything further to themselves or to the rest of the nation.

Yes, I know it would be easy to make an argument for why MHS should drop HHS, but these are factual reasons as to why they won't do it. Besides, it wasn't very long ago that people were saying we should drop WB. And this Friday night there will be about 15,000 on Mike White field who are glad we didn't.