How far is this punt ?

ridge

Thanks to everyone for the views on this play. I have always interpreted the "Punting Stats" to mean that the distance was measured from the Line of Scrimmage to the point where the ball was downed or the point where the opposing team gained posession, therefore I have alway thought that on this play, the opposing team gained posession in the end zone. BUT, after reading the response about the ref throwing the bean bag at the point where the ball became LIVE, (the point where Team B touched the ball) you would have to acknowledge the fact that Posession was transferred to Team B since that is the only way Team A could regain posession, being that Team B touched the ball. So I guess that since Team B touched the ball on the 15 yd line, posession was transferred and the punt distance would be calculated to that point.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kick is "in progress" until the ball is possessed or declared dead by rule. Merely touching (football rules terminology - "Muffing") the ball doesn't end the kick. All kicks, and this is still a kick after being muffed, going into R's end zone are touchbacks.

So, are you saying the punt distance would be calculated to the goal line?

I'm not sure. Do the statisticians consider a punt that becomes a touchback to be to the goal line or to the 20? There's your answer.

I think we've got a couple of different trains of thought going here. Most definately, a punt that goes into the end zone untouched for a touchback is calculated from the line of scrimmage to the goal line.

I think we've got a couple of different trains of thought going here. Most definately, a punt that goes into the end zone untouched for a touchback is calculated from the line of scrimmage to the goal line.

That is correct. In the orginial question the ball touched a member of the receiving team. At that point the beanbag came out to mark the spot. That beanbag marks the length of the punt from the line of scrimmage. Where the receiving team controls the ball and then tries to advance it, is the length of the return. If they kicking team controls the ball, (the ball is considered live when it touched the receiving team member) they are credited with a fumble recovery and any yardage towards the receiving teams goal they can advance from the point of recovery. If the ball rolls into the endzone, after being touch by the receiving team, outside of the goal line, and the kicking team controls the ball in the endzone, touchdown kicking team.

The back judge is in control of the scrimmage kick mayhem. In this situation. The ball should have been blown dead when the ball crossed into the end zone. Touch back first down R at the 20. No return allowed.

There are so many what ifs, in the post scrimmage kick(punt) enforcement rules. The White Hats have a nightmare on their hands, if an infraction occurs, sorting out: who did what to whom and where the ball was where and when.

That's your five man jury, consulting in the middle of the field, trying to get it right.

Video proves them right 95% of the time. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

The kick is "in progress" until the ball is possessed or declared dead by rule. Merely touching (football rules terminology - "Muffing") the ball doesn't end the kick. All kicks, and this is still a kick after being muffed, going into R's end zone are touchbacks.

Correct. This play has been talked about by many officials. The opinion is that the bean bag should not have been thrown.

Bag points of possession on kicks, fumbles and places where fumbles go out of bounds.

Hats are allowed as markers when bean bags have all been used. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Correct. This play has been talked about by many officials. The opinion is that the bean bag should not have been thrown.

Bag points of possession on kicks, fumbles and places where fumbles go out of bounds.

Hats are allowed as markers when bean bags have all been used. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

If the ball touches a recieving team member, the ball is now "live" and the kicking team can attempt to recover the "muff". The bag is thrown where the ball touched the recieving team. That is the length of the punt.