Indoor Track and Field

wrsmith

After moving to Tennessee last year, I found out that indoor T & F is not a recognized sport by TSSAA. I wanted my son to be able to compete in the indoor meets in Alabama but the folks in Alabama will only allow athletes who are representing their schools to participate (no AAU clubs, etc.). What is the process of working with TSSAA to try to get indoor recognized as a sport so a Tennessee school can send athletes to these meets (TSSAA start dates for outdoor track practice and meets would preclude a Tennessee school from practicing and participating in track meets in December, January and February)? Does anyone have a guess as to how likely it would be that TSSAA would approve this?

Guest BAEagles

just call the meet director of whatever meet you want to go to and they will probly be more than happy to talk to the national high school federation and get you sanctioned. then you just compete as unattatched or for a club (you can compete for track clubs without breaking tssaa rules, even if you just want to make up a track club for a day). for example teammates of mine at BA have competed as unattatched or for the Brentwood Track Club, which doesn't exist. meet directors are more often than not extremely nice and willing to help out if possible, especially if you have someone who is really good.