District 12A

ptguard12

At the request of ladyliondad and oldschoolguard, here is my District 12A rundown in its own topic. I hope all you 12A fans enjoy.

District 12A

1. Collinwood - The Trojanettes, despite losing two starters, remain the favorites in 12A based solely on the fact that they have the best guard and overall player in the district in Abby Andrews, who is also the preseason favorite for the 2008 Class A Miss Basketball award. Add to her arguably the second best guard in the district in the hot-shooting Lesley Daniel and you have possibly the best backcourt duo in all of Class A. Collinwood's biggest problems will be their post play, which was a weakness last season and is even weaker now after graduating Hannah Daniel, and their depth, which was not aided at all by the freshman class. If Andrews and Daniel are on the floor, it will be hard for any team in the district to beat them. If either of those two gets in foul trouble or hurt, then the Trojanettes are in trouble.

T2. Wayne County - The Lady Cats return four starters from last year and have the strongest, and tallest, starting five overall of any team in the district. All five starters are capable of putting up double-digits on any given night, though 6'2" Tristan Daniel will be the go-to player in times of need. While Wayne County's starting five is extremely talented, they have little back-up coming off the bench. 6'0" freshman Carly Daniel should be relied on to provide some relief in the post, but past her there is not much help. Depth and speed will be Wayne County's biggest concerns all year long.

T2. Perry County - The Lady Vikings are the only team in District 12A to return all five starters from their team a year ago and are the deepest team in the district. They are a very guard oriented team led by returning All-District 12A players Kazeray Dabbs and Courtney Treadwell. Perry County's biggest weaknesses last year were their depth and rebounding. The Lady Vikings have improved their depth this season as they, for the second year in a row, welcome in, by far, the best freshman class in 12A; two of which will contribute significantly off the bench along with two improved sophomores. If Perry County has improved defensively and has worked on their board play, then they could find themselves atop of this tough district.

4. Summertown - The Lady Eagles find themselves a little down this season as they return only two players who started all games last season in Haley Lovett and Kayla Clark. All offensive production will go through those two players. Summertown did have the second best freshman class in the district (just ahead of Wayne County), but they lost a couple of freshmen guards to other Lawrence County schools. Despite the lack of players returning with significant playing time, the Lady Eagles will continue to be a very fundamental and extremely good defensive team, as all Phil Willard teams are. Post play, depth, and experience will be Summertown's biggest weaknesses this season, but make no mistake about it, they will find a way, at some point, to pull off some upsets against the three teams above them.

5. Zion Christian - These Lady Eagles return three starters and four seniors, including 5'9" go-to player Mary Heard, who will be the team's leader on both ends of the floor. Also returning is an ever improving 6'0" sophomore post in Madeline Cass who should present match-up problems for teams with no height in the paint. Past the three returning starters, there is not much help for the Zion Christian girls though those three players ought to be enough to beat Frank Hughes, Hampshire, and Mt. Pleasant.

6. Frank Hughes - The Lady Lions return senior point guard Haley Pevahouse who all by herself has earned the Lady Lions this sixth spot. Pevahouse has some help in Lynze Frazier and Jessica Anderson, but not enough help after them to put this team ahead of the five above it. This is a very inexperienced team with a very experienced point guard who will take them as far as she can on her small 5'2" shoulders.

7. Hampshire - The Lady Hawks lose their leading scorer from a year ago and another starting senior. However, they do return everyone else including a solid group of sophomores. While they have no size, they do return a slew of guards who have to be better this year then they were a year ago. Sophomores Hannah Ledbetter and LaShara Booker will probably be the go-to players for this years team that may be just slightly better then they were a year ago.

8. Mt. Pleasant - The Lady Tigers may once again find themselves winless after an entire season of play. They do have a decent post player in Christen Cathey, but the players around her are not strong enough to get the ball inside to her, nor do they really understand the game all that well. Hopefully, they will improve as the season goes on and maybe grab a couple of wins along the way.

*The race at the top of the district is very close between Collinwood, Wayne County, and Perry County. I think all three can beat each other on any given night. You can never count out or overlook Summertown as they will make some noise at some point this season. 5th through 8th are pretty much set in stone, though the Frank Hughes/Hampshire games could be close. Pevahouse ought to be enough to keep Frank Hughes ahead of Hampshire, but that all depends on if the Hampshire girls have improved any since last season.

• 1 month later...

I think that with the way this district was split it offers no opportunity for any other teams besides WC, PC, CWOOD, and STOWN to be in the top 4 and go to the REG. every year. These four will most likely go year after year after year. just as they have for the past million years. Clark and Lovett from STOWN and Dabbs and Treadwell from PC are just as talented as Daniel and Andrews from CWOOD. All of them are lights out when they get enough shots. I do not disagree with the rankings for the most part, just with a few comments about the teams specifically. I don't think WC has the strongest and tallest starting five, I don't think Andrews is the best player, I don't think CLIFTON success relies on Pevahouse, and I don't think MP will be winless. WC has it's weaknesses and I think CWOOD may be the front runner for best 5. Andrews has the most publicity but just like it has been in the past that does not make them the best player in the dist. My vote is for her shadowed counter-part ---- Daniel. The remarks about Pevahouse make it sound like she is the only player on the team, yes she is better than most on the CLIFTON squad but why is so much credit being given to her this year when in so many years past there was no remarks about the best players when credit was really due? I rarely recall much mention about them carrying their teams on their shoulders. Although MP is pretty bad they do have potential and I see them surprising someone during the season. They have capable and feisty players and if they can just get it going their way then it will.

I have stated that Ms. Andrews would be Ms. Basketball Class A. However, if Jackson County keeps dominating like they are, Leonard will probably take the award. That is if the voters will vote for a Sophomore. Who else in the state is looking like a contender for the award??

Also, I did not expect the early losses by Collinwood. A dominate player on a #1 team would have to be given more consideration than a dominate player on a team with several losses I would believe.

Can someone advise when the voting for these awards end??? Is it just regular season or does state count?

Good luck to all and Merry Christmas!

I have stated that Ms. Andrews would be Ms. Basketball Class A. However, if Jackson County keeps dominating like they are, Leonard will probably take the award. That is if the voters will vote for a Sophomore. Who else in the state is looking like a contender for the award??

Also, I did not expect the early losses by Collinwood. A dominate player on a #1 team would have to be given more consideration than a dominate player on a team with several losses I would believe.

Can someone advise when the voting for these awards end??? Is it just regular season or does state count?

Good luck to all and Merry Christmas!

The Ms. Basketball award is voted on before the state tourney. It is announced at the state tourney.