11/20 - Greenbrier vs. Jo Byrns

5-Sport Dad

More proof of T$$AA incompetentcy and apathy:

Tonight I witnessed what I believe was the absolute worst officiated game I've ever seen. An ex-Metro councilman, an ex-Metro school coach and some woman that obviously didn't pay attention too well at 'referee school' called the game. Collectively they called personal fouls at a 10-to-1 ratio against the Lady Cats in the first half. Despite that travesty, GB led by 10...a miracle in itself. After halftime, they were still grossly biased toward the ladies in green. However, I believe they eventually felt sorry for our girls and finally started calling the obvious fouls on Jo Byrns' players. But, it was too late. The damage had been done to our coaches perparation and to our players.

I only say this because a lot of people don't believe officials can affect the outcome of a game. Well, tonight blew that theory up! They were, without question, the worst officiating crew I've ever witnessed. If you were there and didn't feel sorry for the players that were absolutely abused, then you don't have a heart...and don't know the game of basketball (hint: it's not football; that's a whole different male sport that involves tackling, blocking and various other human contact that was, sadly, allowed to happen in this game). It wasn't fair to the players and it wasn't fair to the fans who paid hard-earned money to see an impartially called game. This is not about who won or lost. The fact that they had an affect on the outcome is the issue. Jo Byrns had 8 on the floor and we had 5. Simple, but true. And sad!

In a perfect world, the school officials should file a report and send a game DVD to the T$$AA (it would be a 'case study' of how not to officiate). But, we all know that would be futile because of the arrogance demonstrated by the officials (i.e., their 'agents'). What a shame this is allowed to happen...even one time. It gives a 'black eye' to high school sports.

Mr./Ms. Ref,

Please see my reply in the 'Officiating' thread.

It is true all three have players on the JBS team its the only way they could see them play this year. I talked with our coach this morning and I beleive the fouls were 28 GHS 20 JBS. As you stated you blew a 10 point haltime lead and missed Ft after Ft down the stretch.

Stop whining!!!!! Give the JBS girls credit they were outsized at ever position on the floor.

It is true all three have players on the JBS team its the only way they could see them play this year. I talked with our coach this morning and I beleive the fouls were 28 GHS 20 JBS. As you stated you blew a 10 point haltime lead and missed Ft after Ft down the stretch.

Stop whining!!!!! Give the JBS girls credit they were outsized at ever position on the floor.

OK, I don't like whining. We like to be known as pretty good sports in competition. I want to make sure I have heard correctly. The officials had daughters playing on the court that they were officiating? All three?

Yep, we missed some crucial free throws. From the moment the first whistle blew, our kids hands were tied. They couldn't make an aggressive play or even the look of about to do something aggressive without the whistle being blown. At first, it was every time we were making contact with the ball at the same time Jo Burns did, Heaven forbid! Every time we just tried to play the game as they were, we were called for the foul. Our starters were all in foul trouble in the first 3 minutes. The foul ratio at that time was 13 to 3. They stop at 10 on the scoreboard, I kept counting past it. I believe in getting in there and mixing it up, but only if both teams are given equal leeway. This was not the case last night. At times it was so flagrant, Jo Burns should have been embarrassed. Never fear, Being 10 points behind means nothing when the officials have their way of evening up the score, just long enough to help the team get caught up. Congradulations Jo Burns, nice win, NOT!!!!!!!

What goes around, comes around.....

My friend....East Literature led your girls by 12 at the half. In the third quarter your girls were very physical on defense; like any team should be on defense when down by 12 and the referees didn't blow the whistle because of the "lead". Then the basketball gods took over and the final is history.

Furthermore, if you have access to the game film......go back and look at the game winning shot. You only get two steps before you pass or shoot......I think.

Congrats to Greenbrier for fighting back and pulling off a good victory.

What goes around, comes around.....

My friend....East Literature led your girls by 12 at the half. In the third quarter your girls were very physical on defense; like any team should be on defense when down by 12 and the referees didn't blow the whistle because of the "lead". Then the basketball gods took over and the final is history.

Furthermore, if you have access to the game film......go back and look at the game winning shot. You only get two steps before you pass or shoot......I think.

Congrats to Greenbrier for fighting back and pulling off a good victory.

I'm a GB dad and I agree with you 100%...on every point you make. We were fortunate they didn't call a travel...because she did. Don't hate it as much for you as I do for your team, though. They didn't deserve for it to come to that. Should've been OT.

Good luck, East Lit girls!

Yep, we missed some crucial free throws. From the moment the first whistle blew, our kids hands were tied. They couldn't make an aggressive play or even the look of about to do something aggressive without the whistle being blown. At first, it was every time we were making contact with the ball at the same time Jo Burns did, Heaven forbid! Every time we just tried to play the game as they were, we were called for the foul. Our starters were all in foul trouble in the first 3 minutes. The foul ratio at that time was 13 to 3. They stop at 10 on the scoreboard, I kept counting past it. I believe in getting in there and mixing it up, but only if both teams are given equal leeway. This was not the case last night. At times it was so flagrant, Jo Burns should have been embarrassed. Never fear, Being 10 points behind means nothing when the officials have their way of evening up the score, just long enough to help the team get caught up. Congradulations Jo Burns, nice win, NOT!!!!!!!

JBScoach,

That's not even close to true, but do you really believe if your team is outsized it's OK for the refs to 'even it up?' /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You're right on a couple of points, but LuvVB63 is mo' righter! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

obviously you greenbrier fans aren't whining and complaining about the officials after friday nights game because you finally won another game sitting in the stands I saw as both games were terribly officiated .... Now i also think that the game at greenbrier was officiated terribly, but it was terrible for both sides, and as was the girls game in the first half I have no clue what the officials did at half time but obviously they just decided to be a focal part of the game ..... the JBS said nothing to get a 2nd technical ... now i will agree that there are some awful refs and good refs .... all i ask is be consistent ....

obviously you greenbrier fans aren't whining and complaining about the officials after friday nights game because you finally won another game sitting in the stands I saw as both games were terribly officiated .... Now i also think that the game at greenbrier was officiated terribly, but it was terrible for both sides, and as was the girls game in the first half I have no clue what the officials did at half time but obviously they just decided to be a focal part of the game ..... the JBS said nothing to get a 2nd technical ... now i will agree that there are some awful refs and good refs .... all i ask is be consistent ....

I guess it was just our turn to have kin folk in stripes. We had to pull some strings, but, thankfully, they showed up. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

maybe instead of taking all your time to whine about officials and how other teams played unfairly and applied it towards teaching your kid how to dribble and shoot you wouldn't get trampled every night. of course there's always an excuse.

My child dribbles OK and shoots fairly well. She just doesn't know how to do it while being pushed, grabbed and elbowed. She's learnin', though. Incompetent refs force kids to become tougher players...by golly.

With some of the games I've witnessed this year, we'd be better off not having refs and just using playground rules. There'd surely be less fouls and we'd save a lot of undeserved money.