IN-STATE UT COMMITTS

Predatorsfan

With all the shake-up in the college ranks and now with CUT leaving UT and possibly Asst's as well I bet recruiting may get a little dicey with the in-state committs! I hope some of those verbals don't get weaker now. It will probaly be open season on all those players by the schools that were recruiting them before their verbal comitt!

Even without Cutcliffe, Phillip Fulmer and UT have never spent much time or made much of an effort to build a UT pipeline with the high schools in Tennessee.

I would have to totally disagree with that statement. I think Coach Fulmer and his staff have done alot to build a rapport with the HS in TN. THey have recruited them heavily and some of their best players have come from within the state.

99% of the players from Tennessee that signed with a major school, Tennessee recruited. All Fulmer and staff can do is recruit them. If they choose to go to another school thats not Fulmers faught.

There is alot of truth to this statement, but sometimes there is some other factors that can lead UT coaches away from some of the local talent or local players away from UT. In these instances I believe that they only make a casual attempt to recruit these players. For some players who may be running with the "wrong crowd" the best thing that could happen is for them to get away from their high school buddies and attend school elsewhere. Also a local kid playing at UT places himself under the local media microscope. I wouldn't want to expose myself to that kind of scrutiny. The local media outlets are sometimes brutal in their "opinions" that are usally reported as "facts".....

There is alot of truth to this statement, but sometimes there is some other factors that can lead UT coaches away from some of the local talent or local players away from UT. In these instances I believe that they only make a casual attempt to recruit these players. For some players who may be running with the "wrong crowd" the best thing that could happen is for them to get away from their high school buddies and attend school elsewhere. Also a local kid playing at UT places himself under the local media microscope. I wouldn't want to expose myself to that kind of scrutiny. The local media outlets are sometimes brutal in their "opinions" that are usally reported as "facts".....

Agreed...to a point. If you stick to the thread topic, which discusses in-state, then you have to include Memphis. Some kids drive across 4 states in other places in less time than it takes to get from Memphis to Knoxville. There is nothing "local" about that transition, but if you are referring to East TN, I would be inclined to agree.