Tri-County Seven - Week of 16 December, 2007

krichunaka

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screenandroll,

You certainly should not apologize for mentioning the Bowling incident, as it was a very serious and noteworthy part of the game. And though you've correctly pointed out my hesitancy compare players, by position or otherwise, for what it's worth, having seen her play in four games now, I think she's a very good player.

However, and though you no one on the Creek expects to hear you singing the Unaka praises, you might want to consider how the Lady Ranger fans might have interpreted your "youth of Unaka," statement. You appeared (to some of them), a little too quick to offer your explanation/rational on why the Happy Valley freshman was shut out the entire second half, while casting the Lady Rangers rookies in a more-negative light, when in fact, Chesnie Cox came off the bench to hit two huge threes, and in spite of fouling out, Taylor Byars actually led all freshmen scorers with nine points.

I freely chose to do this particular thread a few years ago, and my nickname intentionally states not only the school I pull for, but even spells out a part of my real name, which I often assign to my posts, especially if they are of the more-controversial nature. So, if you see it as riding the fence, then I'm presenting at least a hint of objectivity. But you're right. Having me as your legal counsel would most-likely get us both locked up.

And to the Happy Valley fans I met Tuesday night: The things we discussed are still being worked out. You'll be hearing much more on that very soon.

Krich, must agree (not that excited about it) that Unaka is much improved. The younger kids have stepped up their game quickly. Also felt like the youth from Unaka showed some at the end when they were a little hesitate on offense. .

Krich, these are the two statements I made about the "youth from Unaka". The first, which I wasn't excited about agreeing with you, not anything to do with the rangers, I mentioned how they had improved their game faster than a lot would have anticipated. The second statement just said what I meant. They got a little passive on the offensive end and didn't shoot the ball or hesitated on their shots for a second longer than they did in the first three quarters. Not a put down (again someone taking the statement personal) just an observation on my part.

As far as the "incident" to Bowling I'm sure that wasn't the only reason she didn't play as well as she did in the first half. If you noticed, Coach Chambers had someone guarding her face to face for most of the second half. Especially down towards the end. Unaka's "youth" and all the other "youth" will only get better as time goes on they gain that valuable gametime experience. They will inturn learn how to better handle all situations they face in the games. That's called improvement. And I'm sure we will see it in all.

Screenandroll,

You certainly should not apologize for mentioning the Bowling incident, as it was a very serious and noteworthy part of the game. And though you've correctly pointed out my hesitancy compare players, by position or otherwise, for what it's worth, having seen her play in four games now, I think she's a very good player.

However, and though you no one on the Creek expects to hear you singing the Unaka praises, you might want to consider how the Lady Ranger fans might have interpreted your "youth of Unaka," statement. You appeared (to some of them), a little too quick to offer your explanation/rational on why the Happy Valley freshman was shut out the entire second half, while casting the Lady Rangers rookies in a more-negative light, when in fact, Chesnie Cox came off the bench to hit two huge threes, and in spite of fouling out, Taylor Byars actually led all freshmen scorers with nine points.

I freely chose to do this particular thread a few years ago, and my nickname intentionally states not only the school I pull for, but even spells out a part of my real name, which I often assign to my posts, especially if they are of the more-controversial nature. So, if you see it as riding the fence, then I'm presenting at least a hint of objectivity. But you're right. Having me as your legal counsel would most-likely get us both locked up.

And to the Happy Valley fans I met Tuesday night: The things we discussed are still being worked out. You'll be hearing much more on that very soon.

Ididnt realize that Byars led all freshmen in scoring but there are other factors included in the game of basketball defense,rebounding ,and most important HUSTLE and from my seat the byars girl has got that down when comparisons are made all need to be taken into consideration.Bowling is agreat talent alittle lax in my opinion on defense as far as having someone in her face the whole second half ,I didnt see any special defense just good defense .as i said earlier both are agreat talent ,asset to their team cant wait to see more play from both

Ididnt realize that Byars led all freshmen in scoring but there are other factors included in the game of basketball defense,rebounding ,and most important HUSTLE and from my seat the byars girl has got that down when comparisons are made all need to be taken into consideration.Bowling is agreat talent alittle lax in my opinion on defense as far as having someone in her face the whole second half ,I didnt see any special defense just good defense .as i said earlier both are agreat talent ,asset to their team cant wait to see more play from both

I'm not sure any one was comparing them individually just as a group in general. Both Unaka and Happy Valleys' alike. All are above average at this point, that is why they are playing on the varsity. All will need to do some work in certain areas but who doesn't? Unaka did change their defense towards the end with the player guarding Bowling was in more of a deny without giving help. This was a little different than they had played most of the game which play off (when the person they were guarding didn't have the ball) and give help on penetration, except when they went zone. I thought they did a better job of defending Happy Valley than Happy Valley did of defending them (too many open looks at 3's).

With due respect, Screen, when you make a personal or personnel statement, it will inevitably be taken personally, which is one of the main reasons I shy away from those so called, "objective" comparisons. They don't exist.

Message board readers and writers change with the seasons, but there's a common denominator: Many of them are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and even the grandparents of the players we talk about. More importantly, they are often the players themselves, who face more criticism in one good practice session than many experience in a month. And I'm pretty sure that they'd have little patience with what some pathetic, old bald guy - who incidentally, can't hit a jump-shot - thinks about them. Nor am I of the illusion that you really care either.

Your "surprise" with the Lady Rangers improvement is also curious. Unaka returns four starters from the team that split with Happy Valley, defeated Cloudland at home, led, and nearly beat the Lady Highlanders at Cloudland; and took the state's runner-up - Oliver Springs - down to the last minute. So far, Brittany Scott has been one of our area's top players. Kayla Winters, who played only softball throughout the summer/fall, is back on the squad; she'll play a major role. Point guard, Natalie Johnson, returns after starting her freshman season. Junior, Kaleigh Elsea, is a two-year starter. Sophomores Danielle Jones and Ally Nidiffer are improving; they'll play bigger roles as the season progresses.

And the Rookies: To date, Taylor Byars is at least as good as any freshman I've seen this season. Chesnie Cox is suddenly challenging for a starting position, Tayler Nidiffer, (I think) will be as good as any of this great class within a couple seasons; she and Kayla Wilson will be on the court much more as the season moves along. This Unaka team has the length, perimeter game, and upside. They also play in a conference with Cloudland and the very talented Lady Huskies, so just making it out of the Region will be a tall order.

With due respect, Screen, when you make a personal or personnel statement, it will inevitably be taken personally, which is one of the main reasons I shy away from those so called, "objective" comparisons. They don't exist.

Message board readers and writers change with the seasons, but there's a common denominator: Many of them are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and even the grandparents of the players we talk about. More importantly, they are often the players themselves, who face more criticism in one good practice session than many experience in a month. And I'm pretty sure that they'd have little patience with what some pathetic, old bald guy - who incidentally, can't hit a jump-shot - thinks about them. Nor am I of the illusion that you really care either.

Your "surprise" with the Lady Rangers improvement is also curious. Unaka returns four starters from the team that split with Happy Valley, defeated Cloudland at home, led, and nearly beat the Lady Highlanders at Cloudland; and took the state's runner-up - Oliver Springs - down to the last minute. So far, Brittany Scott has been one of our area's top players. Kayla Winters, who played only softball throughout the summer/fall, is back on the squad; she'll play a major role. Point guard, Natalie Johnson, returns after starting her freshman season. Junior, Kaleigh Elsea, is a two-year starter. Sophomores Danielle Jones and Ally Nidiffer are improving; they'll play bigger roles as the season progresses.

And the Rookies: To date, Taylor Byars is at least as good as any freshman I've seen this season. Chesnie Cox is suddenly challenging for a starting position, Tayler Nidiffer, (I think) will be as good as any of this great class within a couple seasons; she and Kayla Wilson will be on the court much more as the season moves along. This Unaka team has the length, perimeter game, and upside. They also play in a conference with Cloudland and the very talented Lady Huskies, so just making it out of the Region will be a tall order.

Krich, it's sad to think I finally get a day off and I'm on coacht. What does that say about me?

Anyway, again my "surprise" with the Lady Rangers is the play of the younger players. How quickly they have adapted to the varsity play. Not the returning players but some of the newcomers that are getting a lot of more playing time. I knew the Scott girl could play. I was also talking about it before Winters came back. You never know how a team will react when someone quits and then decides to play again. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. On the outside they don't seem to be having a problem with it. Guess I'm also too set in my ways not to make personal or personnel comments. I'll just have to keep repeating myself and explain it's not about the person just their game or the team's game. And I can't believe you would say I don't care about your opinion. Who else would sit at the computer on their only day off, remember. I do take into consideration the source of the post and take it for what it's worth. Everyone should be and is entitled to their opinion and should be able to express it. But as in everything some have a clue about it and take it somewhat serious and others don't. I just like to talk and discuss basketball. Us has beens or never was beens can look at what each other have to say. To the players that read these, get off here and onto the court and listen to the only person that should be telling you what to do, your coach (sorry parents and posters). I hope we each continue to tell each other what we truly think about what happened on the floor and try to give our input and insights on each team. If not then I hate to say I might have to get off here and really do something important. Say it ain't so....

the game between hv and unaka was a well played one both teams did what they need to that allowed them to stay close and exciting i was wondering what was wrong with the hv shooter that was on crutches i have seen her play a few times and her shooting may have pulled unaka out of the zone earlier in the game any insite as to her problem and when she may be back

the game between hv and unaka was a well played one both teams did what they need to that allowed them to stay close and exciting i was wondering what was wrong with the hv shooter that was on crutches i have seen her play a few times and her shooting may have pulled unaka out of the zone earlier in the game any insite as to her problem and when she may be back

HV was without 2 players...one of them a starter and the other a JV player that plays some on varsity. Byers is the starter for varsity and she tore her ankle ligaments in the Sullivan North game last week. Deaton is the JV player and she hurt her back....don't know details on either one.

Just to follow up on the injury and defensive schemes posts:

Courtney Byers is not only a perimeter shooter, she often shoots from several feet beyond the arc. She's a real threat. But the Unaka zone was much more about foul trouble, and very little to do with Happy Valley's perimeter shooting. The Lady Warriors still had two clutch shooters - Lindsey Toney and Hannah Banks - on the court, so there was plenty long-range fire-power to concern Unaka. Kenneth Chambers is well-known for his multiple defensive schemes, regardless of the opponent.

Courtney has an injury to her ATF - Anterior Talofibular ligament) - which, as I understand the only article I searched - http://www.stockton.edu/~ospreys/ATInversionAnkle.htm - is an inward-turned sprain, typical of landing of someone's foot, which of course is a most-common basketball injury. She said she hopes to be back on the court in a few weeks.