Volunteer Christmas Classic

bucdaddio

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see where any Varsity level players have transferred -- The Leeper sisters left over two years ago due to parents divorcing or they'd still be at VHS. I don't see any other girls leaving and going to surrounding schools. I've talked to some of the Seniors and they've said this has been the best year ever. They've had several of the drama players quit or were asked not to come back out. This seems to be a good group of girls that are coming together nicely and will be even better next year with several strong players coming up. They are a young team.

The comment made about Leeper from Anderson if you read it right -- he was bragging on a former player and if you ask any of the girls they'd be glad to have her back -- nothing was said against any VHS player -- the folding comment was from the Daniel Boone game and not the tournament ---

Two wins, best year ever? This says alot about team's or coach's expectations!

Two wins, best year ever? This says alot about team's or coach's expectations!

In context, they were probably referring to something that almost every one of us forget about. The feelings of teenage girls. Cause that's what they are. Ballplayers, yes. And they want to win, of course. But I know girls on very successful teams in this area, who stay nervous wrecks because of the pressure from coaches and parents, and who have dealt with teammates who make life miserable with the constant drama. So I could see where being able to just relax and play ball might make it the best year ever.

In context, they were probably referring to something that almost every one of us forget about. The feelings of teenage girls. Cause that's what they are. Ballplayers, yes. And they want to win, of course. But I know girls on very successful teams in this area, who stay nervous wrecks because of the pressure from coaches and parents, and who have dealt with teammates who make life miserable with the constant drama. So I could see where being able to just relax and play ball might make it the best year ever.

I have a niece playing at volunteer and she and a couple of team mates are tired of losing all the time. I sit in the bleachers and hear parents, relatives and supporters complaining about losing. When I see girls in their third year of playing and their basic skills have not improved any I guess that's about as relaxed as you can get. I know there is a lot of pressure at high school level but again this is not rec league and it is not fair to the ones who put in the extra effort to improve their game to settle for less from their team mates. So if relax and have fun is volunteers attitude our best years are yet to come. I know when I played winning was more fun than losing!

It is true, that winning cures a lot.

Most teams strike a happy medium between the two extremes that you and I mentioned.

I have met and spoke with one of the better players on this Volunteer team, and while I am sure it's good to have some of the pressure and drama gone, I know the losing is getting to her, and she's a very talented player trying to do her best.

I don't see where any Varsity level players have transferred -- The Leeper sisters left over two years ago due to parents divorcing or they'd still be at VHS. I don't see any other girls leaving and going to surrounding schools. I've talked to some of the Seniors and they've said this has been the best year ever. They've had several of the drama players quit or were asked not to come back out. This seems to be a good group of girls that are coming together nicely and will be even better next year with several strong players coming up. They are a young team.

The comment made about Leeper from Anderson if you read it right -- he was bragging on a former player and if you ask any of the girls they'd be glad to have her back -- nothing was said against any VHS player -- the folding comment was from the Daniel Boone game and not the tournament ---

I did a little research and there was one varsity level girl that left and is playing at another school. But by being a transfer student and living outside of new school district according to TSSAA rules she has to sit out a year of varsity. I also found out there are two girls at another school that transferred between 8th and 9th grade that are now sophmores and play varsity at new school but still reside in Church Hill county. So my concern is not losing them from current team but why are we losing players the first year they are supposed to attend Volunteer? I saw the Leepers play at Church Hill Middle and they would have helped, but I also know three good middle school players, two from Church Hill and one from Surgoinsville whose parents say they are transferring next year. So there seems to be a deeper problem somewhere.

I did a little research and there was one varsity level girl that left and is playing at another school. But by being a transfer student and living outside of new school district according to TSSAA rules she has to sit out a year of varsity. I also found out there are two girls at another school that transferred between 8th and 9th grade that are now sophmores and play varsity at new school but still reside in Church Hill county. So my concern is not losing them from current team but why are we losing players the first year they are supposed to attend Volunteer? I saw the Leepers play at Church Hill Middle and they would have helped, but I also know three good middle school players, two from Church Hill and one from Surgoinsville whose parents say they are transferring next year. So there seems to be a deeper problem somewhere.

The player you are talking about was only on JV last year and that would make that player a JV player only and not varsity. The varsity team was not decided until October when practices began, so I don't see how this one could count. Again, no players that have transferrred are big losses, they transfer but are they still getting alot of playing time at these other schools? I say if they want to transfer, then transfer, but if they're guards then they'll probably be sitting the bench in the bigger schools of this conference.

The player you are talking about was only on JV last year and that would make that player a JV player only and not varsity. The varsity team was not decided until October when practices began, so I don't see how this one could count. Again, no players that have transferrred are big losses, they transfer but are they still getting alot of playing time at these other schools? I say if they want to transfer, then transfer, but if they're guards then they'll probably be sitting the bench in the bigger schools of this conference.

If we are talking about the same one player, you are right she was freshmenr/jv last year, but i have no doubt she would have beeen playing varsity at volunteer this year. She is a good little guard, I watched her play with my niece in rec, 2 years at middle school and last year on freshman/ jv. Any idea why she transferred? I heard it was not because of basketball.

Sorry, haven't heard anything from the rumor mill on my end. I'll keep an ear to the ground, though.

I'd say the physical play was pretty evident on both sides. That's the kind of game that comes from two teams wanting the same thing very badly. Certainly not a case of "referee spotlighting". I think if you check the fouls, that was her 4th (tech. was her 5th), and Boone's post players got their fair share of foul calls. Caldwell had 4, Stafford had 4, McGill had 3. Player got the foul, then backtalked the referee. Same player showed her sportsmanship by showing her displeasure while the 1st place trophy was being handed out. She's a really talented player, made the all-tournament team, she had our team's respect, not sure why she didn't show any in return. I understand the frustration, but everybody comes out on that end occasionally.

Buc, I got a phone call from a volunteer players parent last night saying its official that after this february anderson's is not caoching any more, this is third parent I have heard this from. Heard anything on your end.