DII outlook

redmatfan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Marchetti is now a 140 lbr, the individual match of this dual will be him and Chance Hayes IMHO. Chance has been wrestling as well as anyone on the Red team lately. Our other Watson has been making good progress of late and I'm optimistic he can give Herrman a battle. I'm looking to lay a significant bet that Mix will not get his pin. If anyone is interested we'll get together off-line with the details.

WV----Results of the Greeneville Tournament are in and:

It looks like the Baylor lightweights are as good as everyone down there in Nooga says. Congrats on little Manley getting OW.

Hayes win over Grady from Clarksville at 140 certainly gives some support to your comment about the possible Hayes/Marchetti match.

Colton Popp at 152 beat the kid from Orange NC currently No.1 ranked in 1A/2A according to the January 8, 2007 NC Super 32 Individual Rankings........Orange is the current No.1 ranked " Tournament Team" in 1A/2A according to their rankings. Don't know how NC 1A/2A compares to our A/AA, but Orange is apparently at the top of that class. I don't see that major BCB was claiming but I'm moving a Miller-Popp match at 152 to a pick-em. I'm going to give you Hayes/Marchetti as the marquee match-up but I think a Miller-Popp match might be the difference maker.

And Watson winning the title at 275 following a close decision loss to Sliger of Ooltewah has to make Baylor followers happy.

Are you over there with BCB yet in terms of the outcome of a Baylor-Ryan final (assuming he is still allowed to wander in the Red Mist after erroneously picking the Owls to upset Baylor last week)?

Buck - Bearcat was only stirring the pot with some regurgatation. I must admit - I fed the cat the upset special and stand behind it on paper. If all of the Owls had shown up (one seperated from the program and one was relaxing in the bleachers) and if the Owls had won the 3 swing matches (they won 2) - the upset would have occured except for the coming out party for Ragland.

Popp's a winner, always has been and no reason to think he won't continue. IMHO, Miller is the definate underdog in that match, but that's why they wrestle em.

Marchetti vs Hayes still looks exciting to me.

Our young heavys are growing up. Watson won Greeneville and Scott gave up 2 penalty points to get to overtime on his way to 2nd. Don't get me wrong - I'm not declaring them equal to the FR heavys, only that they are not guaranteed wins and certainly not guaranteed bonus points as they appeared to be earlier in the season. Our freshman 171 has been competing hard all season, showing the expected type of progress. From recollection, Tolbert beat him by 6 and Young by 9 so he's staying in matches with the very best and winning against most of the rest. Remember - we have the brothers Shufford ready to come of the DL.

Have the FR boys below Marchetti made similar progress in closing the early season gap? If not, Baylor by 16. If so, pick it.

(still waiting on that apology to our lovely Baylor girls who look nothing like our boys)

Buck - Bearcat was only stirring the pot with some regurgatation. I must admit - I fed the cat the upset special and stand behind it on paper. If all of the Owls had shown up (one seperated from the program and one was relaxing in the bleachers) and if the Owls had won the 3 swing matches (they won 2) - the upset would have occured except for the coming out party for Ragland.

Popp's a winner, always has been and no reason to think he won't continue. IMHO, Miller is the definate underdog in that match, but that's why they wrestle em.

Marchetti vs Hayes still looks exciting to me.

Our young heavys are growing up. Watson won Greeneville and Scott gave up 2 penalty points to get to overtime on his way to 2nd. Don't get me wrong - I'm not declaring them equal to the FR heavys, only that they are not guaranteed wins and certainly not guaranteed bonus points as they appeared to be earlier in the season. Our freshman 171 has been competing hard all season, showing the expected type of progress. From recollection, Tolbert beat him by 6 and Young by 9 so he's staying in matches with the very best and winning against most of the rest. Remember - we have the brothers Shufford ready to come of the DL.

Have the FR boys below Marchetti made similar progress in closing the early season gap? If not, Baylor by 16. If so, pick it.to the

(still waiting on that apology to our lovely Baylor girls who look nothing like our boys)

WV---my comment under the Ooltewah topic was intended as a joke-----a play on BCB's nickname for Baylor (BSFBAG) from an old Sewanee cheer about Southwestern (now Rhodes---- Coach Anderson can recite it for you) and not directed at anyone specifically-------- but if anyone took it seriously, as it appears you and bigred4life did, apology offered. Having seen Baylor School for Boys and their Girls at Greeneville this past weekend, you are right, they look absolutely nothing like the boys. The ones that I saw there would be reason alone to join the wrestling team. My guess is that the old-timers who were at Baylor when it was just BSFB are envious and would like a do-over. I think I'll take Raider76's advice and not follow BCB's guide on how to win friends and influence mothers.

BCB is probably not speaking to you these days if he took those bets he was offered on the upset special you fed him.

No argument here about Popp being a winner........he's been around awhile. And having now seen Hayes ( is he as strong as he looks?), I think Marchetti/Hayes will be a good match, if it materializes. Watson wrestled aggressively well in the finals at Greeneville----much better, I thought, than in the semis. If he can wrestle like that the rest of the way, then I would agree about bonus points not being a guarantee as they appeared earlier in the season. Interesting comment about the match turning on who has made the most improvement from the beginning of the season----Ryan's lower weights vs. Baylor's upper weights. I'll have to ponder that one. Your confidence appears to be growing from your initial post in response to BCB's "its over" analysis. Geez, even I am beginning to feel the tug of the Red fog.

Now, what's this about the Shuford brothers returning? One is around 145-152 and the other an upper weight, maybe 171-189, right? Are you saying they might be back by Ryan? Before? If so, you guys have indeed been sandbagging us. I'm beginning to understand that bet you wanted to make about a pin/no pin at 189. Now I'm waiting on an apology.

Buck - there's been no sandbagging on my part. Anyone who has followed our lineup this season knows we have fought the injury bug in our upper weights with 4 different guys out for extended periods of time. Can't tell you how the weights will shake out against FR as our coaches are "old school" and utilize the wrestle off system to determine the starters. There will be a couple of those injured guys trying to wrestle themselves back into the lineup before the duals so at the least we will have some depth. Yes, Hayes is that strong - bothof them. Don't worry, BCB called me this am. Remind me, what did I say to call for an apology?

Remind me, what did I say to call for an apology?

For trying to snooker me into that bet on 189 with two face cards in the hole.

Do you play poker?

What did BCB say to you this morning-----"Thanks for not telling me about the major "ifs" in that upset special you fed me before I posted it and started taking bets. Now I'll never have enough money to send my kids to BSFBAG".

All you had to do was ask............ Please take no offense, from these picks. Hopefully they may fire everyone that I pick to lose....

103 Johnny Maurizi vs Zack Watson.....................Watson pin 6-0

112 Anthony Simpson vs Alex Manley.................. Manley pin 12-0

119 Chaz Griffith vs Stuart Doster....................... Doster maj 16-0

125 Matt Brewer vs Mr Whitaker.......................... Mr Whitaker pin 22-0

130 Nick Bateman Vs Cole Hayes....................... Hayes pin 28-0

135 Cody Austell vs Trey Stavrum...................... Stavrum dec 31-0

140 Dustin Hussey vs Chance Hayes................... Hayes pin 37-0

145 Patrick Marchetti vs Adam Shuford............... Marchetti dec 37-3

152 Matt Lawrence vs Colton Popp..................... Popp maj 41-3

160 Ryne Miller vs Wesley Idellett...................... Idellett dec 44-3

171 Michael Goodrum vs David Helton................ Goodrum dec 44-6

189 Mix vs John Mackey.................................... Mix pin vs Mackey 44-11........ Green dec 47-6

215 Donnally vs Joe Scott................................. Clanton dec 44-14........ 47-9

285 Herman vs Tyler Watson............................. Herrman pin 44-20....... 47-15

oops 9-5 maybe even 10-4

So there you are Uncle Buck, no need even going to this one , so come on up to Clarksville and you can catch 2 championships plus girls gone wild on the mat.

bcb iii

walkenvol------post Dec 26 2007 - 02:22 PM---Post #4

Buck - the view from my location smack dab in the middle of the red haze is a bit different from BCB's. ................ Baylor got off to a fast start but has experienced a couple of injuries. A match between a full strength FR vs a full strength Baylor on a neutral site is a pick it IMHO. FR has the slight edge with it being be a home match for them. ..............If Baylor comes through, the coach of the year award may need to go to the team doctor.

BCB--------Do you have a direct pipeline to TBSFBAG? You had little Shuford in the line-up more than 2 weeks before his actual return------yesterday at the Baylor Duals. And big Shuford is back as well at 171 bumping Helton to 189 in place of Mackey. Ryan's line-up against Clarksville looked like this ( See Ryan v. Clarksville topic):

Ryan 41 Clarksville 15

103 Maurizi

112 Simpson

119 Quillen

125 Griffith

130 Bateman

135 Austell

140 Mr. Marchetti

145 Hussey

152 Miller

160 Wesley

171 Goodrum

189 Mix

215 Clanton

285 Mr. Hermann

Looks like the Ryan big men are back except for Lawrence. However, I assume in your mind this does not change that red wave you have been surfing. Don't think you will get a pin from Hayes at 140. I see a Marchetti win there. (9 point swing, but still 38-23 in your world if Hussey decisions Shuford at 145 ). You are still going to have a ticket for me to come to Clarksville to watch Everyone's Favorite Team,right?

WV-----are you ready to give the coach of the year award to Baylor's team doctor? Except for 189, it looks like Baylor has everyone healthy now. Is it still a pick'em for you with a slight edge to Ryan for the home court? Or do both Shuford's getting healthy and the way your 215 and 285 have been wrestling lately have you riding that wave with BCB?

I still like the Color Purple right now, though I'm going through a reassessment with the return of the Shuford's.

Ryan 41 Clarksville 15

103 Maurizi

112 Simpson

119 Quillen

125 Griffith

130 Bateman

135 Austell

140 Mr. Marchetti

145 Hussey

152 Miller

160 Wesley

171 Goodrum

189 Mix

215 Clanton

285 Mr. Hermann

Uncle Buck, with no disrespect to Marchetti, I think the guidelines as I laid down two years ago, would put him as only Marchetti or Patrick Marchetti. I'm not sure what I have to do to prove myself to you on the inside information that I receive. You still believe that The team in purple will walk down the streets of Nashville holding the Trophy....I hate to use this quote from this movie but...........GOSH IDIOT.

Seems that Guido will lend me another " dime" so if you are as rich as BOO BOO says then lets throw it down.

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

David Anderson we sure do miss you at THE HOME OF THE REAL IRISH

Don't think the 145 shuford will return.. something about season ending ankle surgery that's trying ot be kept quiet...........and i'm confused how you think your team is the real irish. you wrestle a couple very mediocre teams at best and call that a state championsip?? if they wrestled in the REAL DI or DII duals notre dame wouldn't come close.

I guess all the jump rope he was doing yesterday before he wrestled his 4 matches, cured his season ending surgery. Could say the same about your State Tournament, but since I'm considered the most intellectual poster on this board, I feel that would belittle all the accomplishments of the wrestlers and their teams.

Must Uncle Buck post who the real Irish are again ???

off to train

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Don't think the 145 shuford will return.. something about season ending ankle surgery that's trying ot be kept quiet...........and i'm confused how you think your team is the real irish. you wrestle a couple very mediocre teams at best and call that a state championsip?? if they wrestled in the REAL DI or DII duals notre dame wouldn't come close.

MWR----unless little Shuford hurt that ankle after he wrestled 4 matches on Saturday or Baylor ran in one of their unknown out-of-state recruits to wrestle Saturday under his name (see the topic Baylor Duals), itlooks like you have been given some bad poop. I saw little Shuford wrestle an exhibition match at Greeneville last weekend and if he has a bad ankle that has ended his season , you could not tell it.

As for who are the real Irish, this was decided two months ago at the start of the season, under the topic "Knoxville Catholic Summation". After hearing the evidence, it was declared to be established Man Law that the real Irish wear the green of Ireland not the royal purple of the English kings. The time to appeal that one to Rome has passed, so you are in fact the one confused not BCB. Don't equate who you wrestle with who you are. Being a mackerel snapper myself, I never understood why a Catholic school would want to wear the color of Lent year-round, as if continually in a state of penance. I thought we let the other guys have the guilt trip.