Reason's your ask to leave the game?

wildstang

It seemed to work if you ask me. From all that i have found out the foul count in the boys game was 33 to 11 at one point and during the first half all but one of JC's starting five were on the bench with two fouls!! Then during the girls game the coach was standing out on the court demanding the ref talk to him so they actually STOPPED the game and didnt allow JC to shoot free throws till this coach got finished saying what he had to say. Thats not suppose to happen is it?? The three refs working it were very intimidated by the boys coach from PC you could tell everytime the guy had something to say they would quit ref'ing the game and walk over and talk to him. This is why PC fans always complain about the refs because when they are AT HOME they get EVERY call in the book its insane if you ask me. Now having said all that the refs didn't beat the boys they just played bad however i they didn't give the first five a chance to play in the first half either so go figure?? Had it gotten close they would no doubt have called in favor even more in my opinion. PC shot foul shot in the second half and the thing that stood out most was all JC had to do was look at PC and it was a foul and the PC players could hack and hammer all night long and there were no calls or calls that were made that wouldn't affect the game at all. This was one of the first games i've attended this year and have never been Byrdstown before but man its not wonder they complain when they leave that place!! No way they get them calls away from that place or am i wrong on this ??

Good assement in my opinion but thats just my opinion maybe jc fans have more to say! That's my first trip to pc in years and i agree with you looked pitiful to me and i don't know if you would say if the boy's could have or have not won the ref's had it all in the bag from the start lol...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Smith and Coach Bibb are indeed very 'vocal' and some times 'animated' with the officials. However, they seem to know where the fine line is and usually stay between the lines and don't get personal in their comments towards officials.

Someone made a comment earlier about what are the automatics for a 'T' on the coach. Just wanted to share my top 5 automatics.

1. If the coach says anything to an official that an official could not say to a coach.

example - "your terrible" , "you stink" , "your partner is pathetic"

2. Trying to show the officials up

example - Touchdown Jesus (both arms extended in the air looking for a call) , or waving the officials off after a call (usually happens in combination with #1)

3. Any sort of profanity directed at either the officials or a player (either their own kid or the opposing team)

4. Making a threat of future assignments**

example - "you will never work here again" or "you'll never work in this league again"

** note - sometimes you pray to God that you don't have to go back and deal with this guy/girl

5. Yelling at you from across the court about a violation or foul he/she thinks you missed

As lovetoref stated, we are human, (contrary to popular belif) and if a coach wants to talk about a call, wait till we rotate and the official can get over by the coach so we can 'talk' in a normal tone about what happened. Yelling across the court is very unprofessional and gets the T almost everytime.

** Kicking a trash can on to the court came in a close 6th but did not make the top 5

Most of the coaches in TN are hard working professional guys who have a love and passion for the game and are great to work for. They want their program and their kids to do well. They also understand that being a good communicator is an excellent tool when working with officials.

Coach Smith and Coach Bibb are indeed very 'vocal' and some times 'animated' with the officials. However, they seem to know where the fine line is and usually stay between the lines and don't get personal in their comments towards officials.

Someone made a comment earlier about what are the automatics for a 'T' on the coach. Just wanted to share my top 5 automatics.

1. If the coach says anything to an official that an official could not say to a coach.

example - Touchdown Jesus (both arms extended in the air looking for a call) , or waving the officials off after a call (usually happens in combination with #1)

3. Any sort of profanity directed at either the officials or a player (either their own kid or the opposing team)

example - "you will never work here again" or "you'll never work in this league again"

** note - sometimes you pray to God that you don't have to go back and deal with this guy/girl

5. Yelling at you from across the court about a violation or foul he/she thinks you missed

As lovetoref stated, we are human, (contrary to popular belif) and if a coach wants to talk about a call, wait till we rotate and the official can get over by the coach so we can 'talk' in a normal tone about what happened. Yelling across the court is very unprofessional and gets the T almost everytime.

** Kicking a trash can on to the court came in a close 6th but did not make the top 5

Most of the coaches in TN are hard working professional guys who have a love and passion for the game and are great to work for. They want their program and their kids to do well. They also understand that being a good communicator is an excellent tool when working with officials.

Im right with ya on 1-5. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

as for #6, I will defend myself just a bit....think of this as "StoryTime with GatorBill"

I was coaching 7th Grade jr Pro. I had the "B" team from a school about 2x the size of Upperman (just to say..not a huge school...not a lot of talent to draw from)

We were playing a team that had 3 girls who were 5'10 or taller. My tallest girl was 5'6" and she was a HORRIBLE basketball player. Her parents left me strict instructions to NOT play her for more than 3 minutes at a time. If you get to 3:01 she starts to go into a major meltdown and will cry before you can get a replacement into the game for her.

Somehow, in the first half of this game, we are holding our own. We are down by 3 with about 4 min to go in the half. The kids are playing their tookis' off. There was a huge icestorm that day and I only have 2 kids on the bench, and ZERO assistant coaches. The ref would not allow me to put anyone on my bench as a manager and the benches were on the complete opposite side of the court from the stands. In short, I was alone on an island.

With about 4min to play one of my kids goes up for a rebound and comes down with a itty bitty little cut on her forearm. But there is blood, so the ref sends her to the bench, and I put a replacement in. The girl with the cut is crying. CRYING. Im trying to coach. The other girl on the bench left to get a wet towel. There is only 3:something left in the stinking half, stink it up kid!!! (I didnt actually SAY that of course).

So the kid is crying, Im frantically trying to explain to her where the first aid kit is so that she can get a stinking bandaid. we are pressing the, they are pressing us, it is frantic back and forth...forth and back....and this kid is CRYING CAUSE SHE WANTS A BANDAID!!!!!

I stepped behind the bench (squeezing between the chairs and the scorers table) and I get the firstaid kid out of the ball bag, and give it to her. Just the the ref calls a foul on one of my kids. On my way back around the end of the bench, I try to shove the metal trash can out of my way so that I can get through easier. the can hit the side of the scorers table, then fell over, and rolled about 6 ft onto the floor and hit the refs feet while he was giving the foul to the scorer. He turned to me and BLAM, T'ed me up. I had not even said a word. Im standing there in amazement. and the whole crowd is trying to figure out what just happened.

Fortunately for me, the league director was sitting right next to me at the scorers table. Without a word from me, he got up, went onto the court and spoke to both refs. They pulled the girls points off the board (she had just shot her two T shots), and I was off the hook.

The second half did not go as well, as my kids just didnt have enough gas in the tank to keep up with a very good, and extremely talented team.

Well, if your coach melton from la i probably seen most of these t's hah lol I am not trying to say that these coach's are bad people. Just want to state i think the ref's play a lil favoritizm because what i seen of them playing LA at Home and then traveling to PC there attitude's were way more aggressive at home than away. You know just like Dana at baxter oh heck she does it anywhere, lol I have seen coach's get less and get a T but you got to give him credit they are passionate coach's if that is what you call it.

If you coach's get aggravated at calls how do you think Parent's and Fan's get we are Passionate people too!!

Just trying to get some ref's attention, maybe they will correct some of the things us Passionate fan's see. You see i am not for just one team i see it in all teams i watch play. Gatorbill got to come up with a new story!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Good Luck to The Teams heading to the mountain this week. I think it will have a hard time snowing up there the temp will be HOOOOOOOOOt!!

Isn't this a little tight on numbers 1 and 2? It used to be: 1) addressing an official personally, "Hey Jim that really stunk!" not "that was a bad call"

2) Act in a threatening manner like your number 4 and 5

3) any use of profanity

That is what we were always told would get you tossed!!!

...... You know just like Dana at baxter oh heck she does it anywhere, lol I have seen coach's get less and get a T but you got to give him credit they are passionate coach's if that is what you call it.

.........Gatorbill got to come up with a new story!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

1) Im certain Mrs Coach McWilliams doesnt need ME backing her up, but that woman cant say one stinking word without getting T'd up!! It is hard for a newcomer to understand, but Im sure ya'll would have plenty of stories to tell me about it.

2) I will work up an official "Storytime with GatorBill" for ya later, but I had to make some clarifications on that last one, as I was not exactly satisfied with my #6 position. If I had been ranked in the top 5 I probably would have just let it go, and considered it a flattering, although incorrect, assessment. But #6 was just plain hard to take. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

(...and there is some line about a #6 dance that I cannot put on a family message board.....)

Isn't this a little tight on numbers 1 and 2? It used to be: 1) addressing an official personally, "Hey Jim that really stunk!" not "that was a bad call"

3) any use of profanity

Number 7: Spitting at ref at speeds of 200mph will do it every time /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Also do NOT KICK ref. Dating a guy looong time ago and we went with his family to see his sister play...ref made a call the dad DID NOT like, so Daddio went down on the court and kicked his shins. Never said a word to him ...just kicked him. Needless to say we left very shortly after that.

Number 7: Spitting at ref at speeds of 200mph will do it every time /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Too! funny lol

Gator i will clarify, Dana does get T's and sometimes deserves it but she doesn't hold a light to the PC coaches and they got by with it. She would have enjoyed coaching up there with these ref's lol! I like Dana's Style sometimes and she makes me laugh.

She got t up at the walton sun tournament and they told her not to get up from what i am seeing, where i was sitting. I could have been wrong, but it was hilarouis to see her squirm and jump around in that chair like she had sit in a pile of fire ant's. She made me laugh my butt off, oh yea that would have took to long lol No disrespect to the coach i think she is a big girl and can take it lol!!!

I have to get better about spitting if i am going to get throwed out i still split shooting and i forgot to practice at a moving target!!!

3) any use of profanity

Thanks for the feedback OldSchool - here are a couple of things to think about

1. Would it be ok for an official to tell a coach that he is horrible ? "Coach that press you run stinks" or "Coach your horrible, you got the best team in the league and your playing below .500 basketball".

2. Would it be ok for an official to question a coach by using hand gestures or on some instances laugh at them ? example - 'waving the coach off' after he calls a play that has not been working all night or calling a timeout when his team just gets some momentum and then tell him hes/shes terrible

Now make your own decision as to the conduct of the coach in a coach/official working relationship.

Every official has there own automatics, I was just sharing mine.

Too! funny lol

Gator i will clarify, Dana does get T's and sometimes deserves it but she doesn't hold a light to the PC coaches and they got by with it. She would have enjoyed coaching up there with these ref's lol! I like Dana's Style sometimes and she makes me laugh.

She got t up at the walton sun tournament and they told her not to get up from what i am seeing, where i was sitting. I could have been wrong, but it was hilarouis to see her squirm and jump around in that chair like she had sit in a pile of fire ant's. She made me laugh my butt off, oh yea that would have took to long lol No disrespect to the coach i think she is a big girl and can take it lol!!!

I have to get better about spitting if i am going to get throwed out i still split shooting and i forgot to practice at a moving target!!!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> that would have been fun to watch!!

yeah, I have a ton of respect for her (not that she really needs it from me) and the way she handles herself. If you dont get T'd up every so often there is a chance you are not really coaching. But I have seen her get the quick Trigger a couple times.

yelling at the ref wont get you thrown out or twirling like a bellerina they will just laugh at you for that but cursing and they are able to identify who said will get you out keep in mind it is a high school game and if the entirre gym was cursing what does that say about the people in the gym at a high school game

Yelling at the Ref will get you thrown out of games... I speak from experience....

Thanks for the feedback OldSchool - here are a couple of things to think about

1. Would it be ok for an official to tell a coach that he is horrible ? "Coach that press you run stinks" or "Coach your horrible, you got the best team in the league and your playing below .500 basketball".

2. Would it be ok for an official to question a coach by using hand gestures or on some instances laugh at them ? example - 'waving the coach off' after he calls a play that has not been working all night or calling a timeout when his team just gets some momentum and then tell him hes/shes terrible

Now make your own decision as to the conduct of the coach in a coach/official working relationship.

Every official has there own automatics, I was just sharing mine.

I just thought it was a little on the tight side. I have coached a couple of sports on different levels and it is amazing the difference in what will get you tossed. Baseball you can come on the field and argue a call without being tossed, but don't cuss and leave when the ump asked you to. In football you can rant and rave but you have to really go off the deep end to get tossed. In basketball you are telling me that raising your hands will get you tossed? That is why I felt it was kinda tight. The best official I was ever around, both playing and coaching missed calls too, BUT when a coach made a comment he would sometimes get up next to them and tell them," I might have missed that one, now calm down" In almost every case, the coach would grin and sit down. He didn't have "rabbit ears" and would warn a coach before hitting him with the "T".