Rutledge High School

bigtime08

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.W. Davis, Phil Garner, Melissa McCray, "Shorts" Wolfenbarger, Greg Phillips, current boys' head coach Kip Combs as the QB for the last team to go through the regular season undefeated and was a tremendous player for the hoops' team...would've been a 35 ppg scorer if the 3-point line was in effect in the early 80s...probably others I'm not aware of...new generation...Skylar McBee.

And how can we not mention Tony Buell? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I was asking some other fans of rutledge and a name that popped up alot was Horsley. How was he? Did he graduate last year?

Yeah JoJo graduated last year. I believe he's at LMU. He was pretty much like his brother Shaun Hayes as fas as a three-sport athlete...a good one, but it's tough to mention Joe Horsely and A.W. Davis in the same breath.

Would you put mcbee in front of A.W davis? The whole Mcbee family was very athletic as far as i here. Hayes, was he better than joe or would you say the older brother has the advantage.

A.W. at one time was the state record holder in points scored in a career, in 3 years and in 2 years as well as a single game. He's far and away Rutledge's all-time leader in points scored with over 3000. McBee's going to be phenomenal, but for him to surpass A.W. he'd have to get awfully close to one of the single season scoring marks or top 71 in a game...probably not likely in that instance.

Hayes was terrific in football and baseball...was a tremendous defensive player in basketball and had the knack for making a big shot. I had to talk him into playing hoops his senior season or else some of the success that has followed the program from that point wouldn't have been possible...and I'm not saying it's because of me at all, it's because he decided to stay with basketball and really enjoy his senior season with no regrets.