Lavergne's girls, Underrated?

LHS09ct

I thought LV girls had a good start last night, I didn't see WC ever being in control until the 4th qrt. JH is so tough on the inside, & after playing man to man defense all night on her she had worn down all of our post players. Chelsea shot the ball well this game. Good game, tough loss for our girls, they played hard.

If any one of you was there, answer this question for me. Right after the start of the third qrt, I think Chelsea shot a three but somebody else was also fouled, I think it was Jasmine. It wasn't called an intentional foul & neither team was in the bonus. WC called a timeout & after the timeout, they were rewarded the ball after the three point basket was counted. How was WC rewarded the ball back after the timeout. I didn't understand this play & IMO it was the turning point of the ball game, as it then put WC up by one.

I could be wrong, but i think when a foul is committed on another player during which a shot is being taken by that player's teammate, the basket counts, because the foul occurred during the shot. The team is then rewarded with the basketball because of the foul. It doesnt happen often, but ive seen it a couple of times this season. nearly every time i have seen it occur has been when a shot has been taken and a foul is committed by someone who is trying to get position for a rebound.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but i think when a foul is committed on another player during which a shot is being taken by that player's teammate, the basket counts, because the foul occurred during the shot. The team is then rewarded with the basketball because of the foul. It doesnt happen often, but ive seen it a couple of times this season. nearly every time i have seen it occur has been when a shot has been taken and a foul is committed by someone who is trying to get position for a rebound.

Interesting.....I guess that makes sense, but it doesn't seem fair to the other team, especially if the basket counts.

Ok, another test for the Lady Rines......on the road, Friday nite at Mt. Juliet. Can they pull out the victory?? I've seen this team give alot of different looks this season. If they played like they did Tuesday nite against Gallatin, no, BUT if they come out & play some good sound defense, don't turn the ball over & stop the excellent 3 pt shooting of Mt. Juliet, then, they could possibly pull out a victory. I know it's hard winning at Mt. Juliet, but, hopefully they can go in & get the job done like Hillsboro did.

Ok, another test for the Lady Rines......on the road, Friday nite at Mt. Juliet. Can they pull out the victory?? I've seen this team give alot of different looks this season. If they played like they did Tuesday nite against Gallatin, no, BUT if they come out & play some good sound defense, don't turn the ball over & stop the excellent 3 pt shooting of Mt. Juliet, then, they could possibly pull out a victory. I know it's hard winning at Mt. Juliet, but, hopefully they can go in & get the job done like Hillsboro did.

Bears take this one at home...by 8

Bears take this one at home...by 8

MJ 63 LaVergne 43 and not even close. Bears could have picked the margin of victory tonight. I am surprised how poorly LV played. Very quick and athletic but way too many errors, even from Kiki (a Sr guard). Jefferson played well but looked like she did not want the ball.

Score the victory to Becca Sharpe at point, Taylor Hall and the MJ system. Great game for the Lady Bears!

MJ 63 LaVergne 43 and not even close. Bears could have picked the margin of victory tonight. I am surprised how poorly LV played. Very quick and athletic but way too many errors, even from Kiki (a Sr guard). Jefferson played well but looked like she did not want the ball.

Score the victory to Becca Sharpe at point, Taylor Hall and the MJ system. Great game for the Lady Bears!

You're being too kind, LV girls played awful...their play last night was not any indication of how they have been playing all season. The last few games have been very sloppy & the girls seem to have lost that "spark" they had at the beginning of the season. Hope they get it together & have a strong finish to the end of the regular season.

Is this the Lavergne High School that has Laquinta (sp?) and the 6'4" post player who is a sophmore? If so : it is hard to see losing with those two. What about the supporting cast and what do they seem to be missing?

It is........Stephanie Myers is the 6'4 post player & she did not play last night due to missing practice from being sick. The supporting cast consists of Jasmine Dale, Jasmine Brimm, Kelsey Drayton who are all sophomores, KiKi Yarbrough, Sr point guard & Alex Swope, freshmen guard. LaQuinta is also a sophomore. All five, except for Kelsey & Alex are averaging in the double figure for the year, so if scoring is needed anyone of these girls can step up on any given night. Also, all are pretty good defensive players. Our post play is not really strong & that hurts when you play against a Jasmine Hassell or a Dymon Raynor.

I'm not really sure what's going on right now, I believe alot of it is mental, there also appears to be some attitudes flaring & then some of it appears to be coaching & not playing to the strengths of the players. Also you can see they are a young team, so the discipline is not all there yet. Either way the girls have to step up & play like they were the earlier part of the season and go into the district contest playing strong, consistent ball.