Lavergne's girls, Underrated?

LHS09ct

With the thought of knowing I'm going to get ripped, the title of this thread should be: Lavergne's Girls, Undercoached. Way, way too much talent for this team to be so disfunctional. They have it all, amazing guard play, good inside presence and great athleticism. They seem to freelance too much on offense and play lackluster defense. From an outsiders perspective, this all boils down to coaching and attutide.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is........Stephanie Myers is the 6'4 post player & she did not play last night due to missing practice from being sick. The supporting cast consists of Jasmine Dale, Jasmine Brimm, Kelsey Drayton who are all sophomores, KiKi Yarbrough, Sr point guard & Alex Swope, freshmen guard. LaQuinta is also a sophomore. All five, except for Kelsey & Alex are averaging in the double figure for the year, so if scoring is needed anyone of these girls can step up on any given night. Also, all are pretty good defensive players. Our post play is not really strong & that hurts when you play against a Jasmine Hassell or a Dymon Raynor.

I'm not really sure what's going on right now, I believe alot of it is mental, there also appears to be some attitudes flaring & then some of it appears to be coaching & not playing to the strengths of the players. Also you can see they are a young team, so the discipline is not all there yet. Either way the girls have to step up & play like they were the earlier part of the season and go into the district contest playing strong, consistent ball.

I like Stephanie??™s game. She has a soft touch from about 12 feet in and can block anyone??™s shot with her long wing span. I know her body is still maturing strength wise and her footwork continues to improve.

Lavergne??™s 5 losses are from Wilson Central, Mt. Juliet and Smyrna which are all legit teams. However, your roster surely seems to fit the mold to stand up to those teams; at the very least split with them. Sometimes a couple of losses for a young team will send them spiraling in the other direction. We all know that 90% of the game is mental. Appears that someone has to get these young ladies to believing that they can win the big games!

No disrespect intended buttttttt: Is underrated the correct thread title or should it be under-achieving? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Just a website observation.

With the thought of knowing I'm going to get ripped, the title of this thread should be: Lavergne's Girls, Undercoached. Way, way too much talent for this team to be so disfunctional. They have it all, amazing guard play, good inside presence and great athleticism. They seem to freelance too much on offense and play lackluster defense. From an outsiders perspective, this all boils down to coaching and attutide.

People are entitled to their opinions, so if you get ripped it won't be from me. I don't know how many games you have seen LV girls play this year, so I really don't know how why you are stating they are dysfunctional, which by the way is a statement I disagree with. The last few games have been lackluster defensive performances, but I believe it's because the coach has gone away from allowing the girls to press as he did earlier. This is a run & gun team & they don't do well standing around. Their defense is probably one of the best around & the pressing & trapping off the pass, created alot of turnovers, & easy baskets which could explain the freelance offense you might have witness. I just wish the coach would play to the strength of his team & make the proper adjustments as needed & not allow his team to be dictated by the other team's style of play. I do believe the girls & the coach will fight thru this & have a good showing the remaining of the season.

I like Stephanie??™s game. She has a soft touch from about 12 feet in and can block anyone??™s shot with her long wing span. I know her body is still maturing strength wise and her footwork continues to improve.

Lavergne??™s 5 losses are from Wilson Central, Mt. Juliet and Smyrna which are all legit teams. However, your roster surely seems to fit the mold to stand up to those teams; at the very least split with them. Sometimes a couple of losses for a young team will send them spiraling in the other direction. We all know that 90% of the game is mental. Appears that someone has to get these young ladies to believing that they can win the big games!

No disrespect intended buttttttt: Is underrated the correct thread title or should it be under-achieving? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Just a website observation.

Thanks for the website observation.........

The same defensive presence Stephanie can bring on the defensive end, she needs to start demanding the same type presence on the offensive end. Stephanie's 12 ft jumper is sweet but she is 6'4, shoot, I think 6'5, & she needs to be taking the ball to the hole & start getting some of the big girls in foul trouble vs. her in foul trouble all the time. I think she's beginning to understand how great she can be at this level & the next level if she starts to step that part of her game up. Also, as I said in the previous post, when you have a team that's a run & gun type, sometimes she might not get the offensive sets as post players on other teams.

We have lost tough games, but had a great chance to win @ WC, we lost by 2 on a last second shot & loss to Smyrna on our floor, by 1 in OT after a not so great call. I saw my daughter as well as her teammates emotionally drained after the loss to Smyrna. And to quote you, "it did send this young team spiraling down." I believe the coaches will get them back focused. We play at Hendersonville, tomorrow & it starts there one game at a time.

Thanks for the website observation.........

The same defensive presence Stephanie can bring on the defensive end, she needs to start demanding the same type presence on the offensive end. Stephanie's 12 ft jumper is sweet but she is 6'4, shoot, I think 6'5, & she needs to be taking the ball to the hole & start getting some of the big girls in foul trouble vs. her in foul trouble all the time. I think she's beginning to understand how great she can be at this level & the next level if she starts to step that part of her game up. Also, as I said in the previous post, when you have a team that's a run & gun type, sometimes she might not get the offensive sets as post players on other teams.

We have lost tough games, but had a great chance to win @ WC, we lost by 2 on a last second shot & loss to Smyrna on our floor, by 1 in OT after a not so great call. I saw my daughter as well as her teammates emotionally drained after the loss to Smyrna. And to quote you, "it did send this young team spiraling down." I believe the coaches will get them back focused. We play at Hendersonville, tomorrow & it starts there one game at a time.

How is Jefferson doing?

Good luck with your game!

How is Jefferson doing?

Good luck with your game!

"Q" is "Q", an awesome ball player with great talent. Her game is probably one of the best across the state & she is going to get that much better.

My girls stepped up tonight, maybe that 20 pt loss to MJ was what the entire team needed including the coaches. They played an up tempo pressing defense (yeah!!) & they were off to the races.

My girl, Steph had a great game, she was blocking everything that came inside & hey, she even put the ball on the floor & took it to the hole!! I was very pleased with their performance & team effort tonight.... a good win on the road.

Congrats to LaVergne on their win at Smyrna. Like I posted previously, this team is loaded with talent. From the box score it looks like there was great individual effort on both ends of the floor. Don't think anyone wants to play them here in the closing part of the season and into the tournament.