McMinn County

CHEESEFRIES

I will try to answer this question. As a person and classroom teacher, the former coach did a pretty good job I am told. But, when the Coaching Clothes were put on, he was a desaster. In my opinion based on watching his teams at both Central (boys) and McMinn (girls), he was a very poor floor coach during games and from what I have been told by both players and parents, he would explode on the kids and openly blame them for losses. He also didn't have much contact with what feeder programs theat he had nor set up any camps for the kids that were coming up. Thug, does that about sum up what you know?

I have been told and seen the same thing. Especially the part about blowing up on kids and humilating them by yelling and screaming. The bad part for me is that he was the asst. coach at Central my senior year and he was well liked by all of us.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This started about 4 to 5 years ago and thank goodness the old coach is gone, gone , gone. The new coach will have to rebuild a program that is so near death it will take him a while to do this. I think this new coach will do what he needs to do to help this program out. We will just have to wait and see. I wish him and his team good luck..

GO WV....

It's hard to reply without feeling like I'm kicking a team that is down. It's not that I'm afraid of speaking my mind, because when the old coach was still there, I often spoke my mind about what was going on. But now, it just seems wrong to do so. All that I will say is that there have been several players and their parents that have decided that they would rather play at other schools or some chose to not play. Each of these families made as informed decisions as they could, based on what they saw happening, most of them closer to the program then I. Instead of saying what I think was wrong, how bout I just say what I think needs to change. First, McMinn needs to regain the confidence of the players and parents so that tallent will stop bleeding off to other schools. McMinn is not like several of the other AAA schools. There isn't a "Cleveland Middle" or "Ocoee Middle" type school that has an established basketball program feeding into McMinn. Athens Jr, Riceville, Calhoun, Niota, E.K. Baker, and Rogers Creek are not sending the level of players on the team level as schools like Cleveland, Bradley, or Walker Valley is getting. So to be competitive, they are going to have to keep the quality players that are playing in the schools that are their feeder schools. Next, they are going to have start developing the players that do come to McMinn. Often there is a player or two that may not have received lots of playing time in elementary, but really start to shine when they reach high school. Next, they are going to have to establish some pride in being a Lady Cherokee. Not only pride in the current players, but a desire in the elementary players to become one. Lastly, I think that the county needs to consider joining the 21st century and establish a middle school system. We are the only county of all those surrounding us that still has an elementary system. Meigs, Bradley, Polk, and Monroe has a middle school that feeds into their high schools. This means that instead of there being 6 smaller schools playing as weaker teams, there would be at least 2 middle high type schools feeding into McMinn so the girls would already be playing together.

I'll say it again, Tuesday night I'll be wearing blue, cheering on the Chargerettes, but when Central has won, it will be a hollow victory. I hope that the new coach will be able to fix the problems and in a year or two have a team that we'll be proud to get a victory from. And I hope that the Cherokee fans will support the ladies that are wearing the black and gold, regardless of who is or isn't the coach.

Be careful what you are asking for, although I agree that the county needs a middle school system. This would also bring zoning and stop the students (and athletes) from across the county of choosing which ever school. This I think would hurt the sports programs at Central

Be careful what you are asking for, although I agree that the county needs a middle school system. This would also bring zoning and stop the students (and athletes) from across the county of choosing which ever school. This I think would hurt the sports programs at Central

People generally like to choose the school and programs based on their situation. Unfortunately the problems of McMInn girls was predicted years ago when the former coach was brought over by the head coach to serve as his assistant. McMinn faithful had heard the stories of Central boys decline but unfortunately the fears were not listened to and when the head coach left, this left Coach Q the logical choice to move up.

McMinn faithful just need to continue to support the new coach and especially his players to continue to work hard. The multiple injuries to three starters which ended the season for two of them has hurt the team also.

There would be no zoning from a middle school system. There would be a bus zone, but we have that already. Kids that wish to attend some other school are free to go, but they must provide their own tranportation. Ocoee Middle School is bussed to Walker Valley, but those kids still show up at Cleveland, Bradley, or where ever they wish to attend. Lake Forrest is zones for Bradley, but they go to Walker Valley and Cleveland. There is no school zones in TN. Drive your kid to Memphis if you wish.

There would be no zoning from a middle school system. There would be a bus zone, but we have that already. Kids that wish to attend some other school are free to go, but they must provide their own tranportation. Ocoee Middle School is bussed to Walker Valley, but those kids still show up at Cleveland, Bradley, or where ever they wish to attend. Lake Forrest is zones for Bradley, but they go to Walker Valley and Cleveland. There is no school zones in TN. Drive your kid to Memphis if you wish.

Hey Thug, you have my vote for school board. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey Thug, you have my vote for school board. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You may not want me. The last person with my last name that was involved with the schools had his house shot into and a cross burned in his front yard. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

And I probably already have folks that would like to do that to me now. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

People generally like to choose the school and programs based on their situation. Unfortunately the problems of McMInn girls was predicted years ago when the former coach was brought over by the head coach to serve as his assistant. McMinn faithful had heard the stories of Central boys decline but unfortunately the fears were not listened to and when the head coach left, this left Coach Q the logical choice to move up.

McMinn faithful just need to continue to support the new coach and especially his players to continue to work hard. The multiple injuries to three starters which ended the season for two of them has hurt the team also.

I have to totally agree with you on your statement. I do really wish the New Coach all the luck in the world. I am thinking it will take him at least 3 years to bring it back to at least where they might be able to compete with some in the district.

I have to totally agree with you on your statement. I do really wish the New Coach all the luck in the world. I am thinking it will take him at least 3 years to bring it back to at least where they might be able to compete with some in the district.

I think that it might take that long, if not longer. I think that the new coach will start to see the kids from Athens side of the county staying there, and perhaps even some kids from Englewood going there as well. I know that when I was in school, they had about 1 in 4 going to McMinn instead of Central. I also think that this coach will do a better job at developing the skill level of the players that he has. But in order for these things to happen, he's going to need to start training the freshmen and sophomores to get them competitive. I think each year we'll see improvement and 2010 will see a competitive Lady Cherokee team. Just hope that they give him time to do what needs to be done. I hope so. I miss bashing them. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />