Memphis Prep Basketball is political!

Legend

Legend,

I don't think it's political; it's more ignorance than anything else, IMO.

The CA Dandy Dozen rankings appear to be based mostly on overall record, then "Class (i.e. strength), then head-to-head competition. They seem to consider that Memphis Public Schools face stiffer competition, overall, than do the Private Schools.

That's not a bad way to begin compiling a ranking. The CA's rankings are actually pretty decent, overall. They just need to be fine-tuned, IMO.

Here's my list :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Ridgeway -- Clearly the best TEAM in Memphis, despite its GIFT to Kirby.

2) Kirby -- Needed an absolute MIRACLE to defeat RW at Kirby....erased a 12-point defecit in the final 2-minutes, as RW missed 6 or 7 consecutive FRONT END of 1-and-1's. Kirby, in-turn hit about 5 consecutive 3-pointers. Good shooters.

3) Manasas -- Great shooters. They've lost to and have defeated some top teams. They had Ridgeway on the ropes, but got outcoached and outplayed

in 2nd-half.

4) Briarcrest -- Solid team, can beat any team in the city.

5) Raleigh-Egypt -- Down a bit this year, but still formidable.

6) BTW - undefeated, but un-tested in tough competition.

7) Mitchell -- erratic; poor coaching, but talented.

8) Central -- consistent, but needs better rebounding.

9) St. George's

10) CBHS

11) Craigmont

12) MUS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traderb went to ridgeway

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitchell: did you ever consider what coach Johnson is dealing with Ken Torry, Jarvis Jones, Darl Neal have bad attitudes, please give this guy a break hats off to him. If you never Coach "High school ball" you dont no what its like when you have to coach and deal with the BS on the side sometimes you deal with more BS then you coach.

Hey...you get what you RECRUIT!

When you talk about Mitchell and Manassas being out coached what do you think these coaches are doing wrong give me an example

In a word, Legend -- TACTICS!

----------------------------------------------------------

Manassas lost to Ridgeway in part because of the Manasas coach's refusal/lack of recognition to make timely in-game adjustments.

Manasas got up 14-16 points on Ridgeway by hitting many outside jumpers. Fast paced game. RW began its comeback via a half-court trap, causing numerous turnovers... No time-out by Manasas. The coach just sat there, like a deer in headlights, and allowed this to continue. No adjustments.

Meanwhile, Manasas' outside shots stopped falling. They CONTINUED to come down and fire up quick jumpers. They continued to miss. No offensive reboounds.....Meanwhile RW continued its pressure defense and solid rebounding. They slowed the pace down with a more deliberate offense and began going INSIDE, nearly every trip down court--very successfully.

No adjustments by Manasas. It was sorely needed. It was sorely lacking.

Manasas' main gun, Buckner, barely touched the ball during Manasas "meltdown." Trust me, It wasn't like RW's half-court defense was preventing him from getting the ball. Manasas would just come down and continue firing up deep jumpers, only occasionally getting Buckner involved.

Again--Where's the coaching adjustment? It was sorely needed! It was sorely lacking.

No Manasas timeouts were called, UNTIL waaaaay too late--loong after the big lead had evaporated, after RW had stolen all the "momentum." Manasas never seemed to figure out what RW was doing, as it reclaimed the lead that it never relinquished.

Game over. Bad Manasas loss, aided by poor coaching. Gutty Ridgeway victory, aided by superior RW coaching.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell's coach's poor game-time tactics are well-documented. They are basically similar to Manasas,' starting with the dogged insistence to continue "running and gunning", for instance, even when the shots are not falling.....

I won't go into any more details about Mitchell....Trust me, Legend--anyone on this board (with basketball ACUMEN) who has seen Mitchell play over the last 3 years knows exactly the consistent tactical errors made by Mitchell's coaching staff. They still have the same coach. He still makes the same critical mistakes, IMO.

Manassas lost to Ridgeway in part because of the Manasas coach's refusal/lack of recognition to make timely in-game adjustments.

Manasas got up 14-16 points on Ridgeway by hitting many outside jumpers. Fast paced game. RW began its comeback via a half-court trap, causing numerous turnovers... No time-out by Manasas. The coach just sat there, like a deer in headlights, and allowed this to continue. No adjustments.

Meanwhile, Manasas' outside shots stopped falling. They CONTINUED to come down and fire up quick jumpers. They continued to miss. No offensive reboounds.....Meanwhile RW continued its pressure defense and solid rebounding. They slowed the pace down with a more deliberate offense and began going INSIDE, nearly every trip down court--very successfully.

Manasas' main gun, Buckner, barely touched the ball during Manasas "meltdown." Trust me, It wasn't like RW's half-court defense was preventing him from getting the ball. Manasas would just come down and continue firing up deep jumpers, only occasionally getting Buckner involved.

Again--Where's the coaching adjustment? It was sorely needed! It was sorely lacking.

No Manasas timeouts were called, UNTIL waaaaay too late--loong after the big lead had evaporated, after RW had stolen all the "momentum." Manasas never seemed to figure out what RW was doing, as it reclaimed the lead that it never relinquished.

Game over. Bad Manasas loss, aided by poor coaching. Gutty Ridgeway victory, aided by superior RW coaching.

Mitchell's coach's poor game-time tactics are well-documented. They are basically similar to Manasas,' starting with the dogged insistence to continue "running and gunning", for instance, even when the shots are not falling.....

I won't go into any more details about Mitchell....Trust me, Legend--anyone on this board (with basketball ACUMEN) who has seen Mitchell play over the last 3 years knows exactly the consistent tactical errors made by Mitchell's coaching staff. They still have the same coach. He still makes the same critical mistakes, IMO.

how do you win 23 games as manassas has won so far this season and the coaches be so bad? if coaching was the case do u think harris is a bad coach or had a bad night coaching aganist ridgeway last year harris won 21 games with less talent the years before that he would win in the teens 19 wins one year 14 wins another with mayb 1 stud player I think harris get alot out of his players he has been coach of the year 3 times 2 n 2A 1 n 1A I still think those players were just tired I think adjustments were made but players could not get the job done n the 4th buckner could not rest they only had mcfadgon as the other big the other 2 bigs dorsey and woodard were out due 2 injury + manassas has only lost 1 game with there entire team this year mitchell I still think johnson has players who are bad apples and are messing his team up

1 more thing I did see buckner posting up late in the game with a guard on him and players were looking in at him but would not throw the ball in to him now is that the coach fault or is it pkayers just being selfish I had been to many manassas games this year and parents are very negative even when manassas is winning by 40+ when there kids are not scoring they dont care about the winS mayb parents and players are jealous of buckner if so there is no way this team beats union city or win state.

1 more thing I did see buckner posting up late in the game with a guard on him and players were looking in at him but would not throw the ball in to him now is that the coach fault or is it pkayers just being selfish I had been to many manassas games this year and parents are very negative even when manassas is winning by 40+ when there kids are not scoring they dont care about the winS mayb parents and players are jealous of buckner if so there is no way this team beats union city or win state.

My opinion is that it is the Coach is ultimately responsible for insuring that his guards (and any other players) get the ball into the post (Buckner).

Legend, look-- I'm from the "old-school" of B-ball...

Back in the day (late 70's), if the Coach instructed you to do something on the court (like, for instance, getting the ball down low) but you did not do it...well, you would be sitting back down on the bench so fast that it would make your head swim! You'd also be lucky if the Coach didn't "jack you up," and embarrass you in front of all your family and friends! Trust me--It didn't matter how good a player you were--your behind would get to ride the "oak (i.e. the bench)"...the whole game, if necessary." Period. The next time your bbuutt got back into the game, I GUARENTEE that you'd follow the Coach's instructions. Otherwise.....Well, let's just say that it would not be a pretty scene.

It's called Discipline, my friend.

No, I'm not saying that Manasas' Coach doesn't instill discpline in his players; all I'm saying is that it all starts and ends with Coaching. He's the one in charge of the team. Therefore, it's the Coach's responsibility to insure that the players carry out the game plan and instructions. If they don't, then they need to get yanked from the game, at the very least.

----------------------------------------------------

You know--it's truly a sad state of affairs when the negative attitudes and selfish agendas of some parents are on full display at High School games, for all the players to see. That's got to make it very difficult for a Coach to keep his kids focused on the TEAM concept, amongst a whole host of other issues...

Lastly, Legend, I sincerely hope that you're wrong about all these distracting issues that plague Manasas' very talented B-ball team. This squad has virtually ALL the necessary ingredients to bring home the Gold Ball this year.

My opinion is that it is the Coach is ultimately responsible for insuring that his guards (and any other players) get the ball into the post (Buckner).

Legend, look-- I'm from the "old-school" of B-ball...

Back in the day (late 70's), if the Coach instructed you to do something on the court (like, for instance, getting the ball down low) but you did not do it...well, you would be sitting back down on the bench so fast that it would make your head swim! You'd also be lucky if the Coach didn't "jack you up," and embarrass you in front of all your family and friends! Trust me--It didn't matter how good a player you were--your behind would get to ride the "oak (i.e. the bench)"...the whole game, if necessary." Period. The next time your bbuutt got back into the game, I GUARENTEE that you'd follow the Coach's instructions. Otherwise.....Well, let's just say that it would not be a pretty scene.

It's called Discipline, my friend.

No, I'm not saying that Manasas' Coach doesn't instill discpline in his players; all I'm saying is that it all starts and ends with Coaching. He's the one in charge of the team. Therefore, it's the Coach's responsibility to insure that the players carry out the game plan and instructions. If they don't, then they need to get yanked from the game, at the very least.

----------------------------------------------------

You know--it's truly a sad state of affairs when the negative attitudes and selfish agendas of some parents are on full display at High School games, for all the players to see. That's got to make it very difficult for a Coach to keep his kids focused on the TEAM concept, amongst a whole host of other issues...

Lastly, Legend, I sincerely hope that you're wrong about all these distracting issues that plague Manasas' very talented B-ball team. This squad has virtually ALL the necessary ingredients to bring home the Gold Ball this year.

the first time a coach lays a hand on a player in this day and time they might not have a job (Coach "A" former Head Coach of the Almighty Hamilton) but you are correct about other things

we were in the house

Legend,you Manassas folks be at a lot of UC games now.I also see that you all were at the Humboldt and Trenton game.You guys are spending a lot of time in this area.Are we getting a little worried now?Doing a lot of scouting now.Dont let us UC folks scare you.I think that Manassas can beat Lake Co,because they wouldnt be able to handle the pressure,You are going to have to fight against UC and Humboldt.If UC have to go to Memphis,it will be very tough,on a neutral court it will be a toss up,but if you slip up and lose to Middleton in the regional championship and have to come to UC for substate,we going to have to have you.You want come to UC and win.You will have to bring Buckner up for the championship game so he can stand for his Mr.Basketball nomination,because MJ will already be up there with his basketball uniform on.