Girls Can Wrestle Too

rigger101

Video on Tennessean site Below:

Female Wrestlers Get A Welcome Mat

Congrats to our Lady Commando

A great ambassador for the sport

Whether it is healthy or hazardous, girls require nerve and ambition to challenge boys of the same weight.

"In high school, it's gotten harder because guys don't want to get beaten by a girl," Hendersonville sophomore Emilii Russell said. "I had some forfeits in middle school. Sometimes their moms wouldn't let them wrestle me. My parents really didn't think I was going to last long. I've always been real aggressive and stuff. I didn't ever like cheerleading."

Once girls get past any fears, they still have the burden of essentially being on their own

It's a hot debate on the web site of the paper. Check a few of these:

IMHO-AaronMatthews must have been beaten by a girl a few time's . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Boy is he bitter.

AaronMatthews wrote:

You go girl?? Screw that. For each and every one of you that applauds those girls, you need to stop and think. What do you say when boys complain about the holds? That comment that they have to do it to boys so what's the difference? FINE then let the girls open their shower rooms up. They shower with girls, whats the difference?? Here's the facts, boys can be accused of sexually harassing a girl just by looking at her. Those girls are INTENTIONALLY harassing the boys. They know the boys are uncomfortable but they don't care. The schools don't have the guts to stand up to them because of title IX. Then they say that Title IX is saving wrestling. NO it destroyed it by requiring quotas in the first place. How many college teams have been cut?? Long and short of it, it's just another example of the rampant favoritism the girls enjoy. Boys don't get the opportunities or protections the girls do in schools and each of you defending those girls better not say a word if your girls are ever sexually harassed. If you do, you are nothing but hypocritical sexist pigs. Then don't get me on the fact that girls parents can't stand for a boy to play on a girls team, but they allow this.

1/31/2008 2:30:22 PM

Yarddog wrote:

Cocoman counsels for women to wait until some event in the future. This is the same counsel that white people in the South gave to black citizens who want to vote, hold jobs, use public accomodations. I'm glad they didn't follow that advice and I'm glad schools won't follow it here in Tennessee. Dog Out

1/31/2008 1:12:51 PM

Cocoman18 wrote:

I'm all for letting females wrestle, but I just don't think it should be against the males. If the interest level was high enough, the state should be progressive enough to support these ladies. Otherwise, club wrestle and build the support you need to get sanctioned. Equality is 100% fine, but that does not mean males & females are the same. We get wrapped up in being politically correct. I'm not trying to join an all-womens organization. Why can't we have men AND women sports??? Do we really have to combine? Lastly, I wrestled in high-school and would have loved the opportunity to pound a girl out!

1/31/2008 1:02:46 PM

nashvilleguy wrote:

Who says its uncomfortable for a guy to touch a girl in certain areas especially in a forum where its ok to do so? Take my word for it, the discomfort here is for the girl, not for the guy. I think we can all agree that none of the girls are going for a cheap thrill, but I'm not sure the same can be said for all the guys though.

1/31/2008 12:35:22 PM

2times wrote:

I train in muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu with many girls so this is nothing new to me. I'm around women that can do much damage on a daily basis. I will say though that I don't know any female wrestlers, or at least, not just pure wrestling. I know some killers in judo, muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu though.

1/31/2008 12:26:05 PM

Recommend Report Abuse