DII-A sub-state

Trojan Fan

Lausanne/St. George's- Lausanne has to be a prohibitive favorite

Harding/Univ School of Nashville- Got to go with Harding...saw SBEC handle USN very easily early in the year....2 SBEC double digit but hard fought wins over Harding and a loss in regionals makes me think Harding is the favorite...but IF Harding starts turning the ball over and not staying disciplined on offense it could be a good game...still, got to pick Harding

SBEC/St. Andrews-no idea, know little to nothing about SA-Sewanee other than they have a very good record but Davidson is obviously better

Davidson/Bishop Byrne-again, know very little about Davidson, didn't get to see them earlier in the year when I had a chance...BB is a very scrappy bunch and if they gain a little confidence early in the game?...look out...if they lose it early in the game?...bad news for them

Anybody out there that has seen SAS and Davidson and any of the west teams that can compare and contrast them?

Question also on state matchups...understand that if it's 2 each from the West and Middle/East that the regions will be separated...not sure if it's 3/1 or 1/3...guessing that if 3 come from one region that the lowest seeded team from that region would play the highest seeded team with the middle seed playing the other region's representative.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davidson has a good solid team - no one superstar but all 5 starters who take turns being high scorer it seems. Typically have at least 3 in double digits each game.

St. Andrews is very physical. Freshman Brown is their superstar. If you can stop her (like Davidson did each time) you can win.

Mama Bear,

Did Davidson play in the SBEC tournament?...and if so, how did they do? I was out of pocket at that time and saw 1 game and that was SBEC-USN....no idea how it went and haven't seen any scores or anything from that time...just trying to get comparative scores (though that obviously doesn't always predict what will happen) to help evaluate the field.

They did play but certainly not their best. Beat Magnolia Academy and University School badly but lost by 1 point to a school in Mississippi that they should have beat. I think they shot 29% from field that day and missed 34 free throws. Definitely not a good effort.

Everyone knows Lausanne is #1 in West - what can you tell me about other West teams?

They did play but certainly not their best. Beat Magnolia Academy and University School badly but lost by 1 point to a school in Mississippi that they should have beat. I think they shot 29% from field that day and missed 34 free throws. Definitely not a good effort.

Everyone knows Lausanne is #1 in West - what can you tell me about other West teams?

Gotcha. That's probably Magnolia Heights y'all beat and I'm guessing Madison Ridgeland Academy you lost to. It's too bad that was such a bad day. In hindsight, I bet our folks were trying to set us up to play y'all in the championship game...would have been a good matchup and a good test to get ready for postseason. Oh well, bad days happen. Our girls beat Harding twice during the season by double digits...and they turned around and put it on us in the regional tournament. Bad days definitely happen.

Lausanne is very athletic. One true post and she's solid...not a bad shooter and fairly mobile. 3 of the 4 other starters can get to the bucket and finish and all 4 of the other starters can shoot. They're so quick...ball pressure is just stifling. Don't be fooled that Lauren Avant is their only weapon. Sharwil Bell is a real talent and Monica Miller will score in transition, post you up. They really are good...not just real big (or thick) but big enough to hold their own, more than quick enough to worry the heck out of other people's bigs, and just flat out relentless.

SBEC is pretty big. The 5 and 4 are both very strong and tough inside...fairly tall...about 5-10 and 6-0, I think. The 3 is the best player...5-11 I think, good shooter, quick, athletic, can score from lots of places, solid ballhandler...tough defender, too. The guards are OK, not big scorers, tough defenders but not especially quick, don't make lots of mistakes. SBEC wins up front when they win. If the opposition guards aren't good ballhandlers?...it could be a tough night for the other team. Not a great shooting team overall but there are a couple that can get it going...but they do keep coming and tend to outrebound teams more often than not. The backup PG is really more of a scoring threat than the starter.

Harding has one big that is fairly athletic and can hit a jump shot....but not a big team at all....GOOD free throw shooting team. #3 at the point is scary good against defenders not as quick as her. They can be rattled on the press..but better get to them early...very disciplined in the half court...very guard-oriented...dribble-drive penetration...decent shooters against a zone but not special....just a good solid,team whose players know their roles pretty well....well coached in my opinion.

Bishop Byrne is solid. The 2 bigs are big but not very tall...very tough workers inside who block out well and have decent moves inside. The wings are twins who both have ability and are both pretty solid handlers. Neither of them shoot enough in my opinion. I like their game. The other guard is a good shooter but smallish. Leave her open and you'll pay for it. They aren't especially fast and don't try to beat you off the dribble all that much but are generally athletic...play a pretty structured offense in the half court...not big about using the press but they don't mind trying it to see if it's working. They can be pressed (heck, most teams can to a point) but if they're beating it?...better get out quick and grind it out in the half court. They simply don't quit and don't get visibly rattled...even when getting beat bad. They beat SBEC once and could very easily have done so twice...but then SBEC blew them out in the tournament. They were a solid #4 in the league in the west.

We were hoping for a rematch with SBEC because last year's small school state championship was such a great game but we choked! Thanks for all the info.

Good luck to you - hope to see you again in this year in the championship.

Have you ever saw a Lynx whip a Bear, it ain't pretty. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Have you ever saw a Lynx whip a Bear, it ain't pretty. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Nope....have seen 'em whip a Trojan, though. If I thought SBEC was for sure going to beat SAS, I'd start to talk about hoping we end up on the opposite of the bracket from Lausanne. We don't know for sure if Davidson can beat us...but we know Lausanne sure has that task down pat.

At this point, though, with a freshman Ms. Basketball nominee waiting for the Lady Trojans...in her own gym....hard to look past tomorrow night.

So, Bulldog, you enter some of these threads with random, drive-by comments. How about some substance? You seem to be one who has seen some of the teams play. How would you figure the SBEC/St. Andrew's-Sewanee and Davidson/Bishop Byrne games to go? Give it a little breakdown. Thanks.

Good luck to your Bears, mama. I like playing Davidson a lot especially from football the last few years...good experiences with your teams and fans win or lose and you can't always say that about everybody...hope that's what people experience with SBEc....and the older you get the more you value that kind of thing....kind of have to root for the Red Knights, too, having gotten so familiar with them from this area...but it's really easy to root for either of you.

Can we move DII-A state to Memphis since the Middle/East teams are done and the 4 remaining are all Memphis area teams? Lausanne winning easily over St. George's (68-32) was no surprise. Another great team effort from the Lynx. It's too bad St. George's couldn't have drawn a different opponent but that's the way it goes w/ the seeding. The top of the west was/is mighty tough this year. Good year for the Gryphons.

Harding rolling over USN (69-47) was no surprise though Ms. Basketball nominee Kristie Nye w/ 16 pts had a good game for USN in a losing effort and they gave a game effort. Lauren Cook's 16 led the way and mighty mite PG Alex Black went for 15 for the Lions.

SBEC putting out SAS (63-33) was no surprise though it was hard to gauge beforehand w/ little in the way of common opponents...figured it would be a closer game than that, though. SBEC freshman Adrienne McKay's 20 pts over only 4 for SAS's freshman Ms. Basketball nominee Jodie Brown was an interesting contrast. From the talk about Jodie, I expected to see more. She needs some help. Great job by the SBEC Trojan post players (Morgan Mosby-17, Meghan Vaughan-11), as usual, though. They make it tough for even the best post players to maneuver inside. 3 more years for Jodie to get some help and get the Mountain Lions to state.

I wish I could have seen the Davidson/Bishop Byrne game...sounds like a it was a barn barner going to overtime (59-50). Hate it for Davidson but thrilled for the Red Knights. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Awesome game for post Rachel Clayton. When she comes to play?....watch out. 13 for little shooting wizard Kelsey Duckett. An overall solid team effort for the Bears with 3 in double digits in what had to have been a heartbreaker of a loss. My heart goes out to those young ladies.

Hey, could we maybe all carpool to Nashville next week?...save some gas?...or let's just play in SBEC's new gym. What about it? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

On another note, it looks like Middle/East is in mighty good shape in DII-AA...but I'll let somebody else comment on that.

Nope....have seen 'em whip a Trojan, though. If I thought SBEC was for sure going to beat SAS, I'd start to talk about hoping we end up on the opposite of the bracket from Lausanne. We don't know for sure if Davidson can beat us...but we know Lausanne sure has that task down pat.

At this point, though, with a freshman Ms. Basketball nominee waiting for the Lady Trojans...in her own gym....hard to look past tomorrow night.

So, Bulldog, you enter some of these threads with random, drive-by comments. How about some substance? You seem to be one who has seen some of the teams play. How would you figure the SBEC/St. Andrew's-Sewanee and Davidson/Bishop Byrne games to go? Give it a little breakdown. Thanks.

Good luck to your Bears, mama. I like playing Davidson a lot especially from football the last few years...good experiences with your teams and fans win or lose and you can't always say that about everybody...hope that's what people experience with SBEc....and the older you get the more you value that kind of thing....kind of have to root for the Red Knights, too, having gotten so familiar with them from this area...but it's really easy to root for either of you.

No need for substance, the pain will soon be over as the Lynx win a Single A state championship. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

No need for substance, the pain will soon be over as the Lynx win a Single A state championship. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think the West will win 3 out of the 4 Gold & Silver Balls......... is not Bad!

DII-A =

Lausanne (Gold Ball)

SBEC or Harding Academy (Silver Ball)

DII-AA=

Knoxville Webb (Gold Ball)

Briarcrest (Silver Ball)

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />