LEE IN JUNIOR OLYMPICS

Centralis1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, Buley can be not just a special player, but a SPECIAL SPECIAL PLAYER... I applaud her for staying committed to SOuth Doyle and not jumping at the chance to transfer when it was the easy thing to do. SOmetimes you have heard comment questioning her on certain issues and most of that questioning was not on her physcial skills, but her mental aspect of the game. I think more posters need to embrace her and applaud the descions she has made such as loyalty and dedication. I know, i think highly of her for not taking the easy road and transfering to a proven winner and staying with SD. WHy do I applaud this, becuase like other players in THE AAU circuit on average and supbar teams that have transferred to higher profile programs, Buley has stayed put.

Great job Sade.. would love to see you in Ornage someday as many posters and fans throughout tennessee would love to see KNoxvill'es hometown star stay put.

Guest MCSCOTS

I AGREE THAT FALLON COULD HAVE PLAYED BETTER IN KANSAS WITH THE ELITE BUT FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD ABOUT THAT TOURNEY THE WHOLE TEAM COULD HAVE LOOKED BETTER. ALSO, JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT FALLON WAS PLAYING WITH A BROKEN HAND.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted on this last night abd tge oist has disappeared on main board. First know this. I think Lee is an exceptiobnal basketball player with a trememndous future in high school, college, etc. Knowing that, I will anser your question if you answer a question for me. Who was in charge of selecting the players for the AAU Junior Olympic Teams? Was it a committie or coaches? And where do these coaches coach at in the high school ranks and AAU competition aside from junior AAU Olympics. Also, a poster that said Lee had a broken hand I believe and still competed in the event. Why was this? For such a presigous event why wasnt she pulled because of her injury and another just as talented girl allowed to compete unless this event has more to do with alliegences than it does putting the best basketball players on the floor.

To be honest, this was far from Tennessee's most talented high school team. SOme like Sade Buley and others were there. YOu asked about a PG.. Well, Oliver SPrings PG Laura Hall could easily be the best PG in the state as junior. In my opinion I would have her at the PG slot if I was leading a TN team.

Guest MCSCOTS

I have never seen Hall play myself, but have heard lots of good things about her. The message I get from most that I have talked to is that she is a better shooter than Lee but that Lee is a better team leader. However, I cannot state an opinion on that since I have never seen Hall play with her team. You said that you would pick Hall to lead the team if you were in charge of a TN team; I am not saying that either is the better player but I can't help but wonder if your opinion is somewhat biased; are you not from Oliver Springs? (No offense intended.)

Yes, Lee's hand was broken when she played in the tourney. I think that she made the decision to play herself. Her hand was almost healed and she risked re-injury. As far as anybody pulling her out, I don't think anyone had the authority to make that decision for her except maybe her parents but sometimes you just have to let your kids make their own decisions. It had nothing to do with allegiences; maybe someone did feel that Lee was the best. And although her team did struggle, I don't believe that it was because Lee was favoring her hand. I don't think she would use that as an excuse.

I will try to find about who selects the team and let you know.

Guest MCSCOTS

I WASN'T ABLE TO FIND OUT ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT WHO PICKS THE TEAMS FOR THE JR. OLYPICS. ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE GIRLS HAVE TO BE INVITED. MAYBE HALL WILL GET INVITED NEXT YEAR SINCE LEE GOT TO PLAY THIS YEAR(HER JR. YEAR) WHO KNOWS! YOU MAY WANT TO TRY THE AAU WEBSITE BECAUSE THEY HAVE A LOT OF INFO ABOUT THE JR. OLYMPICS ON IT. :o

Lee played this past year with the Elite club, which was one of the three teams to represent Tennessee in this year's Junior Olympics.

OS91: Generally, AAU clubs will stay "in the family" when it comes to these kinds of things and Elite had any of its high school eligible players to pick from when selecting a JO team. They were able to put together a very competitive team made of their own 14/u, 15/u and 16/u teams.

I'll say this too, since it may add a new twist to this old and often tiring conversation... You take up for her a lot, and it's appreciated, but it's important to consider several things --

It's almost incorrect to refer to Laura as a point guard, because she hasn't traditionally (and doesn't naturally) play the game of a true point guard. As you'll hear many coaches say - "Point guards should't shoot." And that's true in most cases... PGs distribute the ball and are responsible for getting it to teammates in scoring position. A good PG will be a tremendous dribbler and passer, but doesn't have to be a great shooter.

It's also hard to call her a shooting guard. As you'll hear many of the same coaches say - "Shooting guards shouldn't dribble. If you can't shoot, then pass it back." Which is also true for the most part... SGs role on the floor is to grab the ball and fling it (successfully) at the basket.

Laura isn't a very "likeable" kind of player because she doesn't naturally fit in to either category. Lee, on the other hand, does. A point guard, no doubt about it. And she isn't just a point guard, but a very good point guard.

Many coaches, in my estimation, like players that play one position and play it very well. Specialization, I think they call it.

Players with skill sets that span multiple positions are sometimes avoided by coaches, particularly in a sport like women's basketball, because of the type of coaching involved. Very structured and very "play-oriented." Little improv, which is one of Laura's strengths because of her skill set. But, as you know, the best point guard runs the pre-determined play and gets the ball to the correct teammate.

Although there are advantages and disadvantages to any number of different players, both Lee and Hall will excel because of their talent, competitive nature, and their desire to improve.

The more I think about it, the more I feel the "better than" argument should be more along the lines of -- "Which player is better for which team." It's the question college coaches will be asking... which player would best fit into my system over the next 4-5 years?"