Which defense would you run?

I am personally a fan of 3-4 football, or if you want to be technical a high school fifty. I insist my scheme is 3-4, however, for two reasons, 1) personnel - I am not going to use two skinny lumbering flat-footed "ends" out side of my tackles, instead I would use to LB types who are nasty and can run 2) I will not use two five techniques and read, I slant and blitz and manuveur the guys into optimal positions.

I feel with a variety of coverages and several fronts (eagle, combo fifty/eagle, 6-2, and even a 4-3 for pass rush) it has the potential to reak havoc.

Not every coach likes this system. I recently had a conversation with a coach that prefers 4-4 over 4-3, 50, and 3-4. Others I have talked with feel the 4-4 is antiquated, not versatile enough.

Of course the 3-3 stack and the 3-5 are becoming the defense of choice. I am wondering once again from those of you who have shared your knowledge:

1. What would you run?

2. Please offer constructive criticism on the 3-4, 50, 60, 4-3 and 4-4 if you would like.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am personally a fan of 3-4 football, or if you want to be technical a high school fifty. I insist my scheme is 3-4, however, for two reasons, 1) personnel - I am not going to use two skinny lumbering flat-footed "ends" out side of my tackles, instead I would use to LB types who are nasty and can run 2) I will not use two five techniques and read, I slant and blitz and manuveur the guys into optimal positions.

I feel with a variety of coverages and several fronts (eagle, combo fifty/eagle, 6-2, and even a 4-3 for pass rush) it has the potential to reak havoc.

Not every coach likes this system. I recently had a conversation with a coach that prefers 4-4 over 4-3, 50, and 3-4. Others I have talked with feel the 4-4 is antiquated, not versatile enough.

Of course the 3-3 stack and the 3-5 are becoming the defense of choice. I am wondering once again from those of you who have shared your knowledge:

1. What would you run?

2. Please offer constructive criticism on the 3-4, 50, 60, 4-3 and 4-4 if you would like.

The defense you run all depends on the kids you have.

Guest workinprogress

But what does that mean exactly, what type of kids = what type of defense? Please, I am truly trying to wrap my mind around the various concepts and philosophies.

I noticed you started a thread about the wing t and now one on defense. I havent been coaching long but I have been around the game a while. To me it really doesnt matter what offense you run or what defense you run as long as two things happen. One, you as the coach have to believe that your system will work and you have to be comfortable in that system. Two, you have to get your players to buy into what you are selling. If either of those two things dont work out then it doesnt matter what you run you will not be successful. Defensively I run a 4-4. For those that say it isnt versatile enough I would beg to differ. From a 4-4 you are balanced with the run and the pass. If a team goes to a predominant run game then you can always switch to a 5-3 by bringing one of your mlbs down on the strong side to cover up a te. If the offense goes to more of a pass heavy style then you can easily go to a 3-5 or a 3-3 stack. Again to me it all has to do with what you are comfortable with and what you and your players believe in.

This is what I have seen in my limited football experience. There are pros and cons to each defensive philosophy. 3-4 is and 3-3 defenses are vulnerable against a strong running game. Having just 3 down linemen opens up so many blocking angles for a good offense. A 4-4 is good against the run and somewhat suspect against the pass, depending on who your outside backers/strong-weak safeties are. A 4-3 is average against both, so it is a little more balanced.

It all boils down to personnel. If you have a lot of athletes, go to a 3-3 or 3-4. If you have a lot of lineman, use one of the others or even a 5-2.

I don't coach, but in the perfect world I would think a system should have the capability to get in any front and adjust off your opponant. The other school of thought would be to hang your hat on your strength and really focus on perfecting that one.

I agree completely. The 43 defense is a very balanced front. Especially if you have good linebackers.

The only problem you have is against 5 wide but you don't see that much in TN. I think it is the most balanced defense and it is fairly easy to teach. The secret for me is to find the right 1 TECH guy and the right MLB. Good athletes can fill the roles of SM and MK and most teams have a 3T and Rush Ends.

In my own experience as a player in all the defenses, a 5-2 is the hardest but easiest to adjust with. With three interior lineman it frees linebackers to assist in outside plays or pass coverage. Also the ends don't have to be flat footed, but rather have a strong side and a weak side. Both guys act like linebackers, but are trained to play like lineman. The weak side is developed into a strong safety for coverage as well. It is definitely a way to make a strong defense with questionable secondary support. It is hard to run, but once put in is hard to stop.