Cheatin'

Everywhere my 12U Boys team goes we end up playing teams that are loaded with 7th graders who should be in 13U. This past weekend there were 10 teams signed up to play as 12U and it turned out only 3 were legit. Are there any non sanctioned tournaments where they actually enforce the AAU age guidelines?

I've heard the same complaints for years in middle Tennessee. Alot of teams are playing down and the few that are playing legit aren't getting much out of the tournament unless they play each other or a weaker team.

Unless the checks and balances include affadavits, birth certificates and real punishment for those playing down, then it's just a handshake promise isn't it? If it's a little local tournament that's not sanctioned to qualify for state or any type of advancement, but just for kids to get better, it's been everything goes at a lot of places. I'm not sure what AAU could do about it. That's why it's done.

Thank you for posting this topic. My son has been caught up in this AAU cheating mess. I have a 6-foot tall, 185lb all muscle aggressive athlete who played middle school ball this year.(first year) As such, my son was highly recruited during his school basketball season by various AAU coaches. Well, I chose a team that held practices close to my home. However, it was a 13U team. The coach did not tell me that my child didn't qualify to play on this team (because of his birthday/grade) until I paid money and practiced for several weeks. I found out from other coaches in AAU that my son should not be playing as a grade exception.

Because I didn't want my son to be punished for cheating if caught, I pulled him. Now we are in limbo! My son has yet to find a 14U team that has slots. I've paid money and my son is still not playing.

If anyone in the Nashville area knows of a 14U team that could use a 6-foot tall 13 year old(almost 14 year old) with great speed, heart, and natural talent, please email me at tt101371@yahoo.com.