TSSAA RULES

UC21FAN

EHS Faithful,

Where on earth did you get the idea that I have an ill feeling toward Coach Hardin? I've probably known him a lot longer than you have and I consider him a friend. I hope he considers me one of his. I was born & raised a cyclone and I graduated from EHS in 1980. Go back & read my previous posts and you will see that I support the Cyclones and the Rangers & other Carter Co. schools whole heartedly. What I said was that it's obvious that he dosen't have control of the program and he has little respect from the parents. All one has to do is go to one of the games and sit & listen to almost every parent talk about him like a dog. (behind his back of course) They complain about how he dosen't know what he's doing and they call him every name there is. The parents have long been the problem at EHS-that's exactly why one of the most respected softball men in upper east TN didn't take that job when it was offered to him and it's exactly why my daughter chose to go to another school with a BETTER program. We both knew if she didn't get pitching time at EHS it wouldn't be because she didn't deserve it, it would be because of all the cry baby parents at EHS that would go to the principal or school board complaining that their kid was better. What coach Hardin needs to do is to put some of those people in their place and I've encouraged him to do that on more than one occasion. This will be my last post on this particular thread because I don't want to offend Coach T and turn this into something personal as you have tried to do. Feel free to disagree with me as much as you want. It's obvious that you know who I am and I'm fine with that. I'll wait for you to approach me in person and tell me who you are at any time and we can continue to discuss this if you would like.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know who you talked to at TSSAA, but if they did write you back, it wasn't someone with knowledge of the softball rules. There isn't anything in TSSAA rules, by-laws, supplementals, etc. which convers anything like this or which would replace FED or ASA rules. This is often debated in school and travel ball and one can occasionally find an umpire who will tell them that it is illegal or will try to prevent it during a game. A select few decide that they don't like something and will then maintain there is a rule that doesn't exist and if that doesn't work to stop the behavior that upsets them, they cite an umpire or official who supposedly once told them it was illegal.

In reality, there is absolutely no rule which prevents a pitcher or catcher or any other player from getting a signal of any type from someone in the bleachers, nor is there any rule which limits signal calling of any type to coaches, players or bench personnel. In addition, there are several "rules" quoted elsewhere in this thread which are not rules either.

The pitcher does NOT have to be on the pitching plate or even in the circle to receive a signal. She can legally take a signal whenever and wherever she wants to take a signal and she can take a signal from anyone she wants to. There are no softball rules which prohibit doing so. What the rule does say is that once the pitcher steps on the pitching plate, she must then "take a signal or simulate taking a signal." (Incidentally, the rule book doesn't say who she has to take the signal from or simulate taking the signal from while on the pitching plate.)The primary purpose for the rule is to prevent quick pitches. The catcher doesn't have to give a signal at all. The pitcher has to pause long enough while looking into the batter to avoid a quick pitch by stepping on the pitcher's plate and beginning a pitch all in one motion.

It might not be a great idea to have a non-coach calling pitches from the bleachers, but it simply isn't illegal. And as far as the catcher not knowing what pitch is coming, a lot of the top pitchers decide what they want to throw on each pitch and communicate that pitch to the catcher simply by shaking off her signals.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but from experience and the tenor of this post, I'm guessing that this is a bluff aimed at a particular pitcher on a rival team with the hopes that her father/pitching coach will believe all this "against the rules" and "a lot to loose [sic]" stuff and quit calling pitches. Somehow, in a few minds somewhere, there is the belief that if they can take away a weapon or advantage, the pitcher who is doing just fine will crumble without that tool. I've lost count of all the "rules" over the years that get made up, spread, and believed because some parent has their nose out of joint over a rival they can't beat and want to attribute the loses to some activity or strategy utilized by the competition that their team doesn't use, understand, or like.

Ultimately, there isn't anything to lose (or loose) for the team in question. They aren't violating any rule, nor is there any consequence for that behavior. Even if they get an uniformed umpire who tries to stop it, there isn't any penalty in any rule book. (BTW, that's usually a pretty good way to know if a rule exists or not - for every behavior prohibited in every rule book, there is a corresponding resulting consequence. If there isn't a specific penalty outlined for a specific behavior, there isn't a rule against it.)

UC21 - Sounds like to me your feathers got a little ruffled when you got beat the other night. I'm not taking anything away from you guys. I think you have a great program and a lot of tradition over the years, but accept it, you just got beat. And as far as you saying "you really wouldn't want to see that team get in trouble, just someone who cares", that sounds a little strange seeing as you went to the trouble to supposedly email TSSAA and then you post it on a message board. Doesn't sound very caring to me. I guess we need to check with TSSAA about parents hollering from the sidelines to keep your head in and weight back while batting. I guess this could be considered coaching from the bleachers too.

To the guy that has the ill feeling towards the coach, what you need to realize is that it was probably a good decision that you moved your daughter to a weaker 1A conference where she got plenty of pitching time that she never would have gotten at this 2A school.

No feathers ruffled here or maybe your just a mind reader also, Im posting this because I e-mailed them when my daughter was on the 8th grade team not at the present , and I really do care about your team There still kids and I have some very good relations with a few of them. So dont even dig at my character. Thank you.

EHS Faithful,

Where on earth did you get the idea that I have an ill feeling toward Coach Hardin? I've probably known him a lot longer than you have and I consider him a friend. I hope he considers me one of his. I was born & raised a cyclone and I graduated from EHS in 1980. Go back & read my previous posts and you will see that I support the Cyclones and the Rangers & other Carter Co. schools whole heartedly. What I said was that it's obvious that he dosen't have control of the program and he has little respect from the parents. All one has to do is go to one of the games and sit & listen to almost every parent talk about him like a dog. (behind his back of course) They complain about how he dosen't know what he's doing and they call him every name there is. The parents have long been the problem at EHS-that's exactly why one of the most respected softball men in upper east TN didn't take that job when it was offered to him and it's exactly why my daughter chose to go to another school with a BETTER program. We both knew if she didn't get pitching time at EHS it wouldn't be because she didn't deserve it, it would be because of all the cry baby parents at EHS that would go to the principal or school board complaining that their kid was better. What coach Hardin needs to do is to put some of those people in their place and I've encouraged him to do that on more than one occasion. This will be my last post on this particular thread because I don't want to offend Coach T and turn this into something personal as you have tried to do. Feel free to disagree with me as much as you want. It's obvious that you know who I am and I'm fine with that. I'll wait for you to approach me in person and tell me who you are at any time and we can continue to discuss this if you would like.

I have always called my daughters pitches through out her young career, and in travel ball. I was in contact with the TSSAA and asked them via e-mail, about a parent calling pitches in H.S. play. They e-mailed me back and stated that if I wasn't on the coaching roster that NO I could not call her pitches it had to be the players or coaching staff only. I really cant see what difference it makes other than if you know how to read batters and sometimes we even mess up, but we learn from our mistake where a kid may not remember. There is a H.S. team out there in our confrence that has alot to loose if they get reported to the TSSAA, and I really wouldn't want to see that happen. You know who you are. Just someone who cares. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Well here it is, Im ending my thoughts on this subject, now its trying to become personal. It was not intended for that to happen, best of Luck in the remainder of the year to all. See ya around the Ball fields!

• 2 weeks later...

HERE WE GO AGAIN EHS VS UCHS THIS WEEK SHOULD BE A GOOD WHO WILL WIN?????

This game will more than likely be another low scoring, close game. Both teams will have to come out swinging from the get-go and never stop. Both teams will have to play outstanding defense. There is no doubt in my mind that Unicoi is the better team, and can beat the cyclones, but by no means does that mean they will win. I think Unicoi will have the advantage because they will be at home and it is also senior night. I know Jessica was pretty pumped up last time I talked to her about the game. Goodluck Lady Devils.

I have always called my daughters pitches through out her young career, and in travel ball. I was in contact with the TSSAA and asked them via e-mail, about a parent calling pitches in H.S. play. They e-mailed me back and stated that if I wasn't on the coaching roster that NO I could not call her pitches it had to be the players or coaching staff only. I really cant see what difference it makes other than if you know how to read batters and sometimes we even mess up, but we learn from our mistake where a kid may not remember. There is a H.S. team out there in our confrence that has alot to loose if they get reported to the TSSAA, and I really wouldn't want to see that happen. You know who you are. Just someone who cares. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

She is in HS now. Time to let her go. If you don't have enough confidence in the HS coaching staff then she shouldn't be playing for them. Don't embarrass her by asking another coach if you can coach over top them.