Club Team vs. High School Soccer

KitKat2

I've got a question that I'm sure some of you can help me with, especially some of the knowledgeable couches and officials.

Can a player be on a high school roster, travel with the varsity (but not dress out) and play club ball? The player would not play in any varsity level games but in some JV level games? Allowed by TSSAA rules or not?

I've got a question that I'm sure some of you can help me with, especially some of the knowledgeable couches and officials.

Can a player be on a high school roster, travel with the varsity (but not dress out) and play club ball? The player would not play in any varsity level games but in some JV level games? Allowed by TSSAA rules or not?

A player may practice with his highschool team, travel and play on his club team, but may NOT be on the official roster for the school. They may also not play in a game for their highschool until they are on the official roster, BUT they may be added to that roster at ANY TIME during the season. Once they are on that roster, though, they may NOT play any other club games, but they ARE allowed to practice with their club team if their high school coach allows.

We looked into this when TNFC was thinking about playing in the spring season last year. They ended up not doing so, but I wanted to know what the rules were.

A player may practice with his highschool team, travel and play on his club team, but may NOT be on the official roster for the school. They may also not play in a game for their highschool until they are on the official roster, BUT they may be added to that roster at ANY TIME during the season. Once they are on that roster, though, they may NOT play any other club games, but they ARE allowed to practice with their club team if their high school coach allows.

We looked into this when TNFC was thinking about playing in the spring season last year. They ended up not doing so, but I wanted to know what the rules were.

"they ARE allowed to practice with their club team if their high school coach allows."

Coach G, you are correct with practicing with thier club team, but the club team can not have anything over 5v5 in practice or if the player does participate in anything over 5v5 is in violation of the independent game rule. I was investigating that when the question arose when could club start practcing again to get ready for state games etc.. That came straight from TSSAA.

Coach G, you are correct with practicing with thier club team, but the club team can not have anything over 5v5 in practice or if the player does participate in anything over 5v5 is in violation of the independent game rule. I was investigating that when the question arose when could club start practcing again to get ready for state games etc.. That came straight from TSSAA.

Are you sure about that? I think since practice isn't an "organized" scrimmage, and it would be inner squad, that it wouldn't count. Not saying you are wrong, just curious.

Personally, I would have a hard time having any of my players play or practice on a club team during highschool. Plus, when would they find the time. We practice from 3:30-5:30, plus 3 games a week. I actually think it is good that players have to chose one or the other during spring season.

Blackman, how is your son doing this year?

Are you sure about that? I think since practice isn't an "organized" scrimmage, and it would be inner squad, that it wouldn't count. Not saying you are wrong, just curious.

Personally, I would have a hard time having any of my players play or practice on a club team during highschool. Plus, when would they find the time. We practice from 3:30-5:30, plus 3 games a week. I actually think it is good that players have to chose one or the other during spring season.

Blackman, how is your son doing this year?

I am absolutely sure. Sandy Pollock, TNFC 90's former coach, want to just meet once a week late in May to get ready for state when it used to be in June to have practice, so I inquired with Bernard Childress adn TSSAA, and he said they could practice as long as there were no drills over 5v5. I believe it's so you don't have an inner squad scrimmage if you have 20 or more players on your team, but that is what he told me. I tried to find the email, but it's been so long.

Matt is having a great year. Playing sweeper last year recieved MVP District defender. Coach Vice in the middle of the season moved him ot midfield and he won district MVP Midfielder.

After losing 9 starting seniors last year, Blackman was thought to be having a rebiuilding year and the way we started with a record of 5-1-6, it was really looking that way. Since then 7-0-1. Something clicked at the Lebanon game, and the team started playing as a team. I would like to think it was because Coach Vice pushed Matt up into the midfield, but I am a little biased in my opinion. However, it's definitely been a team effort, from our forwards to the defense, I don't know everything just started clicking and the boys have become unselfish with thier play. Blackman now has won the regular season district title and the tournament district title. They are just playing really well right now and they couldn't have picked a better time to start playing well. Coach Vice as done an excellent job with these boys. Thanks for asking. Hopefully you will continue with your success!! Congrats by the way!!