Whitwell Basketball

Talkitup

Our middle school has beat this Webb guy the last two years and we were not very good. I think we have the right guy. We need someone who will come in here and want to stay. If Webb got the job he would run to Jasper the first chance he gets. Good luck Coach Thacker, the Tiger family is behind you.

I can remember how you have been behind your other coaches in the past and this guy is from Marion county ! All I can say is he better be above 500!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not run him off before he gets a chance to prove himself, everyone deserves that. Best of Luck to the new coaching staff. ButI does make you wonder if there were any other applicants for the position since there seems to be a lack of experiance. Does this mean that all three area teams are being coached by former MC alumni? Is Jasper's coach from Jasper or Chattanooga area??

I'm not trying to run anyone off I was just answering WLS11's questions. Everything that I posted is the truth. If it sounds like I'm bashing him I'm not. That just goes to show how crazy this hire is. With his inexperience and Whitwell's history of community support /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I give him less than two years at best. Not being harsh just telling it like it is.

I'm not trying to run anyone off I was just answering WLS11's questions. Everything that I posted is the truth. If it sounds like I'm bashing him I'm not. That just goes to show how crazy this hire is. With his inexperience and Whitwell's history of community support /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I give him less than two years at best. Not being harsh just telling it like it is.

Sorry Scara-didn't mean for it to sound like I was posting at or toward you, it is just a general post to all. Someone had posted that Pickett had been hired, I never heard that he was hired just talk that he wanted the job. How does one find out about these job openings?? I know that jobs are posted on the MC School Board website but don't think I ever saw this position was open.

Lets not run him off before he gets a chance to prove himself, everyone deserves that. Best of Luck to the new coaching staff. ButI does make you wonder if there were any other applicants for the position since there seems to be a lack of experiance. Does this mean that all three area teams are being coached by former MC alumni? Is Jasper's coach from Jasper or Chattanooga area??

Talkitup, I don't think anyone is trying to run him off. Most of us are just wondering why there wasn't any effort in putting out the coaching notice and seeing how many people a were interested. Mr Thacker has the job and I will support him 100%, but I do expect us to start being competitive! Losing should not be acceptable. Go Tigers!

Heath has been placed in a tough spot. He was hired just three weeks before school started so he hasn't had any time with the boys this summer. He is following a coach who was very popular among the students, faculty and community. He is coming in on the heels of an unfortunate event that has shaken the school and community. All of this with little or no experience coaching at this level of organized ball. That is a very tall order for a young man to fill. The only way that he will be able to survive is for the community to rally behind him and give him and the team their full support. They have to give him a chance to prove himself. Again, I wish him the best of luck.

i agree purplegrad heath is in a very difficult situation for any coach to step in to let alone some one with zero coaching experience. i wouldnt hang my hat on being a youth league coach when youre having to make tough decisions in close games. i agree to that he is in a tough spot coming in after a coach as you said was popular among the students faculty and community. it wouldve been alot smarter if the new principal and asst. principal had advertised interviewed and hired someone with coaching experience. this would have made the transition much easier for the team to believe in someone they knew had a knowledge of the game. now heath is going to coach everyday being comapred with someone who had coaching experience. thats not neccesarily fair for him.

In Josh's defense, he posted the job on TSSAA web site on July 9th. However, they announced Heath's hiring at an athletic club meeting on the 14th or 15th. From the outside, it looks as if their hands were tied by Pickett who was taking the job and then bailed on them at the last minute. By July 9th, most coaches are set in their positions and aren't looking to make a move. Probably what happened was that Heath was interested in the job, but more importantly, he was qualified to fill the PE/Wellness position that was available.

In Josh's defense, he posted the job on TSSAA web site on July 9th. However, they announced Heath's hiring at an athletic club meeting on the 14th or 15th. From the outside, it looks as if their hands were tied by Pickett who was taking the job and then bailed on them at the last minute. By July 9th, most coaches are set in their positions and aren't looking to make a move. Probably what happened was that Heath was interested in the job, but more importantly, he was qualified to fill the PE/Wellness position that was available.

That's true PurpleGrad. As in alot of schools you have to fill the teaching positions and then see who wants to coach a team. Good luck Coach Thacker...u have our support!!!

Where is Condra69 when you need him. He was always on top of everything to do with Whitwell and now it seems that he has dropped off the face of the Earth. If I hadn't seen him last night at the new Mexican place in Jasper, I would really be worried about him! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

wit all this stuff going on up at whitwell i guess richard hardy dont have to worry bout being the worse team in the district this year. lol.

I believe yall 2 will be about even now...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> JK

I would think if a Person was qualified to coach on a high school level that they would be qualified to teach PE. Especially a basketball coach because that is where the PE class was held last time I checked. If you were needing to fill a Reading, Writing, or Math class then your "qualified" statement might hold water.