Coaching

akula21

Had a debate with a friend recently that we argued the importance of a coach being a capable player. I felt that a coach with technical ability to demonstrate things properly was very important. I also felt that the coaches playing experience was important to add credibility. My friend didn't think either was very important to be a good coach. Just wanted to see what others thought. I know of good coaches that may not be great players and I certainly know great players who are not good coaches. I just think of the best ones being good coaches and players.

Had a debate with a friend recently that we argued the importance of a coach being a capable player. I felt that a coach with technical ability to demonstrate things properly was very important. I also felt that the coaches playing experience was important to add credibility. My friend didn't think either was very important to be a good coach. Just wanted to see what others thought. I know of good coaches that may not be great players and I certainly know great players who are not good coaches. I just think of the best ones being good coaches and players.

Good question. First of all, I don't think you have to be a former player to be a good coach, but I think it REALLY helps. The reason for that are multiple; it does give credibility, it allows you to demonstrate what you want the players to do, it helps you to understand what the players are going through on the pitch under tough game circumstances, and I think your knowlegde of the game is better.

Now, saying that, I think that one can be a great student of the game and not necessarily be a great former player. I know many GREAT soccer players that made lousy coaches, and vice versa. But my best coaches were those who played the game on a college or higher level. Look at most of the successful programs and I think you will find former players in the coaching positions, OR you will find a former player as an assistant. Which brings me to my next point:

You need to have a coach that connects with his players. This is, I believe, the most important part of a team. I know of some great coaches across the state that haven't played college ball, but REALLY connect with their players. They also had the "smarts" to find an assistant coach that has the knowledge or technical skill that they lacked.

Akula, technical skills are KEY to being successful. It doesn't matter if you are a tactical genius. If your players can't make the pass to the forward making the perfect run, or if your shots are going all over the field and not in the goal, then what is the point? This is why club soccer is so key to the success of players. They have REALLY done a great job in working in this area, which saves highschool coaches a lot of time. I expect my players to have the technical skills downpat by the time they get on the varsity squad. This means that they have spent the past 5-8 years developing those skills in the other 8 months of the year.

You want a great program? Get your boys on a club team. You say it is too expensive, ok... then get your boy in the back yard with a Coerver tape working on "inside inside" every day for 30 minutes. Get to where you can juggle the ball with both feet over 100 times. Get your dad or brother to toss you balls and work on traps, volleys, headers, ect. These are all things you can do without any $$. BUT, club brings game experience, even if it isn't a division 1 club team.

Now, these are just my opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, just how I feel, and how I run my program. I think I know where Akula is coming from, and his program has developed (in my mind) to be one of the top in TN.

Good question. First of all, I don't think you have to be a former player to be a good coach, but I think it REALLY helps. The reason for that are multiple; it does give credibility, it allows you to demonstrate what you want the players to do, it helps you to understand what the players are going through on the pitch under tough game circumstances, and I think your knowlegde of the game is better.

Now, saying that, I think that one can be a great student of the game and not necessarily be a great former player. I know many GREAT soccer players that made lousy coaches, and vice versa. But my best coaches were those who played the game on a college or higher level. Look at most of the successful programs and I think you will find former players in the coaching positions, OR you will find a former player as an assistant. Which brings me to my next point:

You need to have a coach that connects with his players. This is, I believe, the most important part of a team. I know of some great coaches across the state that haven't played college ball, but REALLY connect with their players. They also had the "smarts" to find an assistant coach that has the knowledge or technical skill that they lacked.

Akula, technical skills are KEY to being successful. It doesn't matter if you are a tactical genius. If your players can't make the pass to the forward making the perfect run, or if your shots are going all over the field and not in the goal, then what is the point? This is why club soccer is so key to the success of players. They have REALLY done a great job in working in this area, which saves highschool coaches a lot of time. I expect my players to have the technical skills downpat by the time they get on the varsity squad. This means that they have spent the past 5-8 years developing those skills in the other 8 months of the year.

You want a great program? Get your boys on a club team. You say it is too expensive, ok... then get your boy in the back yard with a Coerver tape working on "inside inside" every day for 30 minutes. Get to where you can juggle the ball with both feet over 100 times. Get your dad or brother to toss you balls and work on traps, volleys, headers, ect. These are all things you can do without any $$. BUT, club brings game experience, even if it isn't a division 1 club team.

Now, these are just my opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, just how I feel, and how I run my program. I think I know where Akula is coming from, and his program has developed (in my mind) to be one of the top in TN.

If there is no club system in place it is rough to do much with TSSAA and dead periods and play time periods and weight lift periods I mean why not let the coaches coach and the players work hard at it in the offseason i mean in the county I get to see play there might be a total of 12 club teams and that is from 8 years and up to 18

and with all these regulations TSSAA is handicapping us even more especially with what the privates and other knoxville are programs have to offer and choose from

If there is no club system in place it is rough to do much with TSSAA and dead periods and play time periods and weight lift periods I mean why not let the coaches coach and the players work hard at it in the offseason i mean in the county I get to see play there might be a total of 12 club teams and that is from 8 years and up to 18

and with all these regulations TSSAA is handicapping us even more especially with what the privates and other knoxville are programs have to offer and choose from

Your coaches should check the schedule. There are periods this summer where the kids can train with their coach, if they wanted to, I'd worry about burnout. If the kids want it enough, they'll find a club. We give our kids a program during the summer/fall/winter that they can access to do ball work and fitness. So even if they don't play club, they have every opportunity to get better on their own. Like G said, money is not the final denominator, work ethic and dedication is!

Your coaches should check the schedule. There are periods this summer where the kids can train with their coach, if they wanted to, I'd worry about burnout. If the kids want it enough, they'll find a club. We give our kids a program during the summer/fall/winter that they can access to do ball work and fitness. So even if they don't play club, they have every opportunity to get better on their own. Like G said, money is not the final denominator, work ethic and dedication is!

Agreed. We have two players on our club team who travel 90 minutes each way to practice everyday. If there is desire, there is a way to make it happen.

Agreed. We have two players on our club team who travel 90 minutes each way to practice everyday. If there is desire, there is a way to make it happen.

They are plenty of ways around the TSSAA "dead periods." All that means is that you can't be on campus or have contact with your coach. You can work out off campus and with other players and many facilities offer dead period training!

Just ask the American football coaches (and families.)

Akula,

I agree that a coach's technical ability and playing experience is extremely important. I think playing experience is more important than technical ability though. In other words, there might be an old fart who was once a great player, but his time is done. However, he still understands the game based on his previous experience. Too many times in high school you run in to coaches that can't understand what a player is going through because they haven't played the game themselves. Example: A couple of years ago I was coaching on a TERRIBLE pitch, and the opposing coach was furious with his players because their first touch was off. As a former player, I was a little more forgiving of my players' clumsy first touch. (I had played in many similar situations myself).

I am not saying that you can't be a great coach without experience, but I always think it helps you better understand your players.

Side note: I think it is important for a coach to separate himself from his players. When I first started coaching, all I wanted to do was lace up my boots and play with the kids; thus, nothing got accomplished. Sure, it is good for a coach to get in and demonstrate every now and then. But I am a firm believer that when a coach starts playing too much, he forgets about coaching.