June 10-12 TSSAA Meeting

DonCChatt

The much anticipated TSSAA Board of Control meeting is next week, June 10-12.

Here is a link to the full list of things being discussed:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_129154.asp

While the whole issue of Private Schools in Division I, the multiplier, etc. could effect all sports including Girl's Soccer, there are several other specific proposals related to soccer. They include:

26. Proposals from Hendersonville High School and the Tennessee High School Soccer

Coaches Association

Hendersonville High School and the Tennessee High School Soccer Coaches Association

are requesting the Board to look at the following proposals:

A. All TSSAA tournament games be played on a soccer field 60 yards wide and 110

yards long beginning with the 2010-2011 school year.

B. Red card suspensions ??“ The current two-game red card suspensions should only

affect the following: fighting, taunting, unsportsmanlike to officials, and leaving

bench area.

The following should be a one-game suspension: tactical foul, intentional hand

ball, language (not directed to official or other players).

Rationale: Soccer has more opportunities for ejections than other sports. The

above criteria would separate the severity of the fouls and keep the game true to

the intent of the rules.

Whether to continue to use a multiplier for non-public schools in Division I

and, if used, determine the number to use as a multiplier.

What do you think?

On the soccer field size, it seems like a good goal, but I wonder how schools who barely support soccer could/would implement. As an interim step, they could require that all post-season game fields (District through State Tournament) meet this criteria. Schools that wanted to be able to host their district/region games would push to get into compliance.

Red Card -- There was a bunch of discussion on this last season. I 100% support the proposed change.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The much anticipated TSSAA Board of Control meeting is next week, June 10-12.

Here is a link to the full list of things being discussed:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_129154.asp

While the whole issue of Private Schools in Division I, the multiplier, etc. could effect all sports including Girl's Soccer, there are several other specific proposals related to soccer. They include:

26. Proposals from Hendersonville High School and the Tennessee High School Soccer

Coaches Association

Hendersonville High School and the Tennessee High School Soccer Coaches Association

are requesting the Board to look at the following proposals:

A. All TSSAA tournament games be played on a soccer field 60 yards wide and 110

yards long beginning with the 2010-2011 school year.

B. Red card suspensions ??“ The current two-game red card suspensions should only

affect the following: fighting, taunting, unsportsmanlike to officials, and leaving

bench area.

The following should be a one-game suspension: tactical foul, intentional hand

ball, language (not directed to official or other players).

Rationale: Soccer has more opportunities for ejections than other sports. The

above criteria would separate the severity of the fouls and keep the game true to

the intent of the rules.

Whether to continue to use a multiplier for non-public schools in Division I

and, if used, determine the number to use as a multiplier.

What do you think?

On the soccer field size, it seems like a good goal, but I wonder how schools who barely support soccer could/would implement. As an interim step, they could require that all post-season game fields (District through State Tournament) meet this criteria. Schools that wanted to be able to host their district/region games would push to get into compliance.

Red Card -- There was a bunch of discussion on this last season. I 100% support the proposed change.

What are your thoughts?

The field size seems great. In Club state the 91's played on terrible small fields till the finals when the played on terrible acceptable size fields. - I understand why they have the tnsoccer cup in Nashville area but why there instead of Richard Siegel park I don't understand.

I would put foul language in the two game since how can you ask a ref to determine who it was aimed at but legitimate tactical fouls that result in a red like last defender back or intentional hand should be a 1 game like the rest of soccer.

I would like to see something like 2nd or 3rd red or 4th or 5th yellow - out for the season though. Some players make a intentional habit of fouling and after so many they should sit the season or career.

A further thougt. Why does the Chattanooga paper have so much information about tssaa and soccer and C**pAppeal list things like Houston vs Riverdale as also in soccer the score is. I am truly disappointed. Either we need to get better people in Memphis or send the ones we have to Chattanooga.

Club States were originally scheduled the previous weekend but a small number of seniors (likely already committed) would miss one game due to graduation so the event was pushed out another weekend, hence the location. On that note it is sad that the U14, U15, U16 & U17 players that had already planned to go to the Houston Shootout were denied a great chance to be recruited. Perhaps you noticed the near absence of college coaches at this year's club states? They were all in Houston.

RE the Commercial Appeal,,,,it is getting better but you can't isolate one section of the paper. Compare the entire paper to other cities and you will see the entire newspaper follows your opinion of sports.

So we are going to penalize the schools that don't have a dedicated soccer field? It would certainly be nice if every field in the state was perfect in dimension and grass, but that's not realistic. If you earned your way to the playoffs, at any level, you played on varying fields. You can do the same through the playoffs, especially for the High Schools. This simply tries to take away the home field advantage for a team that earned it. Face it, not all schools have the funds, or even the land to make another field. As far as travel teams and the state tournament, there is much better control on where those games are played, and a mandated size for the field could be implemented.

So we are going to penalize the schools that don't have a dedicated soccer field? It would certainly be nice if every field in the state was perfect in dimension and grass, but that's not realistic. If you earned your way to the playoffs, at any level, you played on varying fields. You can do the same through the playoffs, especially for the High Schools. This simply tries to take away the home field advantage for a team that earned it. Face it, not all schools have the funds, or even the land to make another field. As far as travel teams and the state tournament, there is much better control on where those games are played, and a mandated size for the field could be implemented.

Good point Bean. The high school my daughter plays for does not even have their own field. They have to use a field owned by the city.

Yes....Make arrangements and Find a bigger field, you would have until 2010.

Well let's see.......budget cuts, less for teachers and classroom supplies, the talk of elimination of sports programs as it is and we can still play soccer on a football field.............you must live in a different world.

Well let's see.......budget cuts, less for teachers and classroom supplies, the talk of elimination of sports programs as it is and we can still play soccer on a football field.............you must live in a different world.

A football field is 60 x 120. With the goals setting infront of the goal post your field would be 60 x 110. Which would be OK. Most Every school has a football field. Anything smaller ....well for district play and beyond IMO will not do. No one is saying a dedicated soccer field....Just one that is big enough. Again, Just my opinion.

I certainly understand. Our school plays on the football field, and doesn't meet the critera listed. One question, though. If a new rule was passed for football requiring schools to get their football fields to 60 x 110 by 2010, I would bet you that 95% of all schools in Tennessee, public as well as private, would find a way to get it done. The rub here, though, is for a "minor" sport like girl's soccer, nobody wants to find any money. Therefore, your arguments about budget issues are certainly true, yet most schools seem to get it done for football, basketball, etc.

....One question, though. If a new rule was passed for football requiring schools to get their football fields to 60 x 110 by 2010, I would bet you that 95% of all schools in Tennessee, public as well as private, would find a way to get it done....

Maybe, but take West High School, like a lot of schools the track surrounds the FB field. Keep in mind an apron for drainage, the stands are usually right up against the track. Simply no room for an expansion. They use every bit of yardage they can. Also West is surrounded, and unless a National Guard Amory Closes down, and Federal land surrendered, or a neighborhood condemned, there simply is no room for more classrooms, yet alone athletic facilities. I'm sure that is the case with the majority of older schools, especially inside cities. If I were building from scratch it is easy to create a combo field, track, bleachers etc. Saw a great HS facility in Oklahoma like that complete with artificial surface. In the long run the maintainence is probably cheaper and the only issue I could see would be scheduling conflicts with the FB team.

I certainly understand. Our school plays on the football field, and doesn't meet the critera listed. One question, though. If a new rule was passed for football requiring schools to get their football fields to 60 x 110 by 2010, I would bet you that 95% of all schools in Tennessee, public as well as private, would find a way to get it done. The rub here, though, is for a "minor" sport like girl's soccer, nobody wants to find any money. Therefore, your arguments about budget issues are certainly true, yet most schools seem to get it done for football, basketball, etc.

Don your field would meet the requirements of the proposal. Any football field would....barely. a football field is 160ft. across by 360ft long from goal post to goal post.

http://www.sportsknowhow.com/diagrams/foot...ons-diagram.pdf