June 10-12 TSSAA Meeting

DonCChatt

I understood two points about club & prep if this helps any....

First, you could play club as long as you were not varsity. In other words, JV players could play both. However, if you wished to be on the short list to move up to varsity, you removed yourself from that list if you played club. As a result, no one played club during season.

Second, any can practice at club during prep season, just nothing greater than 7v7.

As your ration of club players to non increases, this ruling starts to ruin the sport. First as most recruiting for college takes place in club. Second as Tennessee Prep seems to be on the fall schedule, we miss many large tournaments that take place in the fall (e.g. WAGS). Elite players back out of prep as they may get called up to play. Seeing as they can't do both, it seems to rob them of the prep experience.

In light of all this...you have 7th & 8th graders playing varsity?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that is listed on the varsity team roster is ineligible to participate in club, unless that participation is limited to club practice only. That practice may not simulate games. So that point would make it moot if one were playing JV useless as pointed out unless one knows from the outset that they would not play varsity. This would mean that their name is not submitted at the beginning of the year on the varsity roster. Usually with most HS the practice is daily so most would not be able to practice club except on the week-ends. Given academic requirements and the need for a little rest, that does not seem practical to me. Also 7th graders are not eligible to play varsity.

In light of all this...you have 7th & 8th graders playing varsity?

No. The TMSAA would not allow our middle school players to play on our middle school team AND play "middle school" age club soccer at the same time. I think this is pretty redundant, because of your point on highschool JV soccer. You can play JV soccer AND club in high school, but you can't do that in middle school?

Middle school soccer is much less demanding on a student than high school soccer (we don't practice more than a couple times a week, and games are always on the same days and never on the weekends) so kids usually can do both if they choose (from a time standpoint... although it is a tough thing to balance everything with school work, too).

The water is a little muddy by mixing HS and MS in the same posts. But bottom line, to my understanding, Play HS (Placed on the roster),and there is no club soccer until the completion of the last game for that school year. Play MS and club is allowed regardless of whether the school is a member of the MSAA or not.

The water is a little muddy by mixing HS and MS in the same posts. But bottom line, to my understanding, Play HS (Placed on the roster),and there is no club soccer until the completion of the last game for that school year. Play MS and club is allowed regardless of whether the school is a member of the MSAA or not.

so just to be clear...you are referring to what the rule is now (which is good news), and NOT what it used to be regarding Middle School ? I just want to see the official policy written down somewhere...

Play MS and club is allowed regardless of whether the school is a member of the MSAA or not.

Bean, where did you hear this? I know for a fact that this wasn't the case just in this past school year. Are you saying that it has changed for the 2008-2009 year?

Yes, it does............but I see no updates. The Board Meeting in June minutes: http://www.tssaa.org/boardminutes.pdf Show no changes to this discussion, but that doesn't mean there are no changes, but I don't see them on their web site. Big G, someone may have told you that, but it does appear that is contrary to the posted rules, which as pointed out is dated last year.

Yes, it does............but I see no updates. The Board Meeting in June minutes: http://www.tssaa.org/boardminutes.pdf Show no changes to this discussion, but that doesn't mean there are no changes, but I don't see them on their web site. Big G, someone may have told you that, but it does appear that is contrary to the posted rules, which as pointed out is dated last year.

I do hope you are right. I tried to look on the TSSAA site and find updated regulations, and couldn't find them, either. If you do find them, would you please let me know? This has been a pretty big issue for us, and if they have changed the rule (or if the rule that they told us doesn't "jive" with what is written) it would help us out a lot.

(yeah, I used the word "jive" in a sentence... wow)

Better yet can you please post any changes on Coacht. I know a couple of MS coaches and Club coaches that would like to know.

G, I agree with you. I have always been told that MS players could not play club during the MS season. Matter of fact a couple of years ago the TSSA coaching director's daughter had ask the MS coach to wait a week before adding her to the school roster because the club team was headed to a tourny. To make a long story short, The MS coach didn't wait and added her to the roster which made her Ineligible for the whole MS season.

I do hope you are right. I tried to look on the TSSAA site and find updated regulations, and couldn't find them, either. If you do find them, would you please let me know? This has been a pretty big issue for us, and if they have changed the rule (or if the rule that they told us doesn't "jive" with what is written) it would help us out a lot.

(yeah, I used the word "jive" in a sentence... wow)

IMHO..Play ball. If someone stops you, share the copy of the rules you printed out on the first day of practice, if it isn't located in the rule book, would seem logical it is not a rule (this year).

IOW, Plead Ignorance - Beg Forgiveness.