REGION 4-5 PRE-SEASON RANKINGS

MOJO11

Football is a very simple game. Your team scores points and the other team scores points. The MAIN object is to score MORE points than the other team does. During the last two years teams that R'dale already proved they could beat in the REGULAR season by some miracle scored MORE points than they did in the PLAYOFFS.

R'dale has ALWAYS been know for its defense and the 2004 team proved that with their 8 shutouts that season. Since we have gone to the Wing-T the emphasis seems to have been placed on the low scoring offense and NOT defense. Thusly we have been beaten when we should NOT have been. Even the loss to McCallie was lack of defense related. While Coach A does know the wing-t, he does need a good DC despertely!

Yes I am 'Lost' alot, but I do know what LOSING looks like. Thus my prediction that R'dale will go 5-5 this season.

Excellent post "Lost". I think lost knows just a little about football, in particular Riverdale football.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me dispell some of the wing-t horsecrap that you currently believe........................

2005 - Riverdale had best team in state, but lost............no, they got shut-out 0 - 17 running the fabled Rankin offense. That year, the offense scored 501 pts/ 14 games or 35.7/ game. That is outstanding!!

2006 - Riverdale again had best team, but lost to Smyrna 7 - 9 running the "cursed" wing-t. That year, the offense scored 470 pts / 13 games or 36.1/ game. Again...outstanding and better than 2005. Explain this please. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

2007 - Riverdale goes undefeated in league and does not score as much.............was it the offense or the fact that Riverdale was not quite as talented as previous years AND the region 4-5A was as tough and balanced as any year ever. Let me shock you even further; I thought (now IMO only) that their were 3 teams in league that had better talent than Riverdale top to bottom and 2 of them did not even make the play-offs.

they will be OK this year; I would not count them out so quick. Lots of tradition still lurking around the place.

big blue

Let me dispell this statement. In 2005 Riverdale was eliminated from the Quarterfinals by Oak Ridge. They were not eliminated in the 3rd round nor the 2nd, and they definitely were not elminated by a team that they had beaten handley a few weeks back. Check your facts. Aydelott has had his head handed to him in both playoff games he has lost. This is not METRO!

You can set and talk all day about what could a & should a , who did or didn't but bottom line is to get it you have to want it on both sides coaching and players. Yes they have talent i think it will be there when the time comes .

GOOD LUCK WARRIORS

Fact........Riverdale's feeder school ( Christana Middle) has never had a winning season or anything remotely close to it.

Fact.....Riverdale's freshman team has been beaten repeatedly the last 3 yrs by most of the region schools.

Fact...... D-1 transfers aren't coming in by the droves.

Fact.....Hulan is NOT superintendent any longer to grant zone exempts and turn a blind eye.

Fact.....Rankin and his staff ran when the going got tough.

ANYONE who has an ounce of inner football knowledge knows that Aydelott has done the unthinkable at Riverdale so far. No one expected the team to still have the region win streak alive and well. No one expected Riverdale to have two region titles when Smyrna won the state. No one expected Riverdale to thrive despite the odds. I don't care what anyone says......if Rankin were still at Riverdale....you would NOt have yielded state championship teams either of these two yrs. He couldn't have taken that. b/c it meant bruising his ego and working a bit more during his family time. You saw how he reacted to getting SHUT OUT. He bailed on you. If he had really wanted a challenge, he had it NOW at Riverdale. Making champions out of kids who don't know how to win!! If he doesn't win , then he gets to see first hand what A is seeing....backstabbing from within his staff, boosters, and fans. I will say I have a lot of respect for Nolan for standing behiond the guy!

What I see is instead of being proud of what Coach A has done and support him ( even while basically having to re-assemble an entire staff!)....you guys look for ways to tear down the program further instead of boosting it up. Be proud that you have a coach with honor who plays with the hand dealt to him, wants to help kids be good men, send them to college, and win along the way.

You are lucky that Coach A has the BALLS to stay with all the grief you guys put him through. pattonsdad is exactly right......take the time to talk to the guy. He is a GOOD man and a class act.

Fact........Riverdale's feeder school ( Christana Middle) has never had a winning season or anything remotely close to it.

Fact.....Riverdale's freshman team has been beaten repeatedly the last 3 yrs by most of the region schools.

Fact...... D-1 transfers aren't coming in by the droves.

Fact.....Hulan is NOT superintendent any longer to grant zone exempts and turn a blind eye.

Fact.....Rankin and his staff ran when the going got tough.

ANYONE who has an ounce of inner football knowledge knows that Aydelott has done the unthinkable at Riverdale so far. No one expected the team to still have the region win streak alive and well. No one expected Riverdale to have two region titles when Smyrna won the state. No one expected Riverdale to thrive despite the odds. I don't care what anyone says......if Rankin were still at Riverdale....you would NOt have yielded state championship teams either of these two yrs. He couldn't have taken that. b/c it meant bruising his ego and working a bit more during his family time. You saw how he reacted to getting SHUT OUT. He bailed on you. If he had really wanted a challenge, he had it NOW at Riverdale. Making champions out of kids who don't know how to win!! If he doesn't win , then he gets to see first hand what A is seeing....backstabbing from within his staff, boosters, and fans. I will say I have a lot of respect for Nolan for standing behiond the guy!

What I see is instead of being proud of what Coach A has done and support him ( even while basically having to re-assemble an entire staff!)....you guys look for ways to tear down the program further instead of boosting it up. Be proud that you have a coach with honor who plays with the hand dealt to him, wants to help kids be good men, send them to college, and win along the way.

You are lucky that Coach A has the BALLS to stay with all the grief you guys put him through. pattonsdad is exactly right......take the time to talk to the guy. He is a GOOD man and a class act.

D-1 transfers? Are we talking about high school? I don't think anyone is saying that Aydelott is not a nice guy.

Let me dispell some of the wing-t horsecrap that you currently believe........................

2005 - Riverdale had best team in state, but lost............no, they got shut-out 0 - 17 running the fabled Rankin offense. That year, the offense scored 501 pts/ 14 games or 35.7/ game. That is outstanding!!

2006 - Riverdale again had best team, but lost to Smyrna 7 - 9 running the "cursed" wing-t. That year, the offense scored 470 pts / 13 games or 36.1/ game. Again...outstanding and better than 2005. Explain this please. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

2007 - Riverdale goes undefeated in league and does not score as much.............was it the offense or the fact that Riverdale was not quite as talented as previous years AND the region 4-5A was as tough and balanced as any year ever. Let me shock you even further; I thought (now IMO only) that their were 3 teams in league that had better talent than Riverdale top to bottom and 2 of them did not even make the play-offs.

they will be OK this year; I would not count them out so quick. Lots of tradition still lurking around the place.

big blue

If you have been here when that happened you would have said we got outplayed an out coached in 2005 it was OR night they was ready for everything and shut us down

in 06 i am not sure what you mean was better than 05...06s team had a lot of the same players from 05 minus gaston so IN MY OPINION we had a state championship team think about it we did beat the eventual state champions 49-0 the first time we played them so i disagree that team should have won state

07 i do agree that the region was better top to bottom i will give you that to an extent i do not know which 3 teams you thought was better as only 1 team gave us a game during the season..there was a game or 2 that was close score wise but actual wise we dominated (i think it was oakland 14-7)

2P until christianna came along we NEVER had kids other than the ones that played at central come to RIVERDALE so those kids who had attended Barfeild and Christianna our now going to a middle school that has football so you would think those kids would advance quicker when they got to high school ....when i lived in GALLATIN we would win 2 games in JR High school (knox doss and hawkins) but the high school would go undefeated so the middle school argument doesnt hold water.

Rankin always stayed with his family after the semi final game no matter what so if you want to blow up into a big deal after a loss when he had gone every time after a win is weak...

Rankin also built RIVERDALE into the program that it was with the hand he was dealt and if you look at smyrna when you win the players COME TO YOU you dont have to go get them so being back to back state champs the transfers are going to come in and have come in

I will give you the superintedent reason some props because we are not getting the same advantages as oakland and smyrna are getting but thats ok we will overcome that too

I will also give you the freshman team hopefully we will get a freshman FOOTBALL coach that can help propel us for the future we do miss coach THOMAS and some of the past freshman coaches snow and scharsh

while rankin did leave or you call it ran the staff did not some stuck around for another year but chose to leave for a variety of reason that i will not discuss on here other than they did not leave because of the so CALLED low talent level

AND FINALLY EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS OUR TALENT IS DOWN AND YET EVERY YEAR WE ARE STILL RIGHT THERE so keep on saying what you want i will keep on supporting RIVERDALE NO MATTER WHAT

If you have been here when that happened you would have said we got outplayed an out coached in 2005 it was OR night they was ready for everything and shut us down

in 06 i am not sure what you mean was better than 05...06s team had a lot of the same players from 05 minus gaston so IN MY OPINION we had a state championship team think about it we did beat the eventual state champions 49-0 the first time we played them so i disagree that team should have won state

07 i do agree that the region was better top to bottom i will give you that to an extent i do not know which 3 teams you thought was better as only 1 team gave us a game during the season..there was a game or 2 that was close score wise but actual wise we dominated (i think it was oakland 14-7)

2P until christianna came along we NEVER had kids other than the ones that played at central come to RIVERDALE so those kids who had attended Barfeild and Christianna our now going to a middle school that has football so you would think those kids would advance quicker when they got to high school ....when i lived in GALLATIN we would win 2 games in JR High school (knox doss and hawkins) but the high school would go undefeated so the middle school argument doesnt hold water.

Rankin always stayed with his family after the semi final game no matter what so if you want to blow up into a big deal after a loss when he had gone every time after a win is weak...

Rankin also built RIVERDALE into the program that it was with the hand he was dealt and if you look at smyrna when you win the players COME TO YOU you dont have to go get them so being back to back state champs the transfers are going to come in and have come in

I will give you the superintedent reason some props because we are not getting the same advantages as oakland and smyrna are getting but thats ok we will overcome that too

I will also give you the freshman team hopefully we will get a freshman FOOTBALL coach that can help propel us for the future we do miss coach THOMAS and some of the past freshman coaches snow and scharsh

while rankin did leave or you call it ran the staff did not some stuck around for another year but chose to leave for a variety of reason that i will not discuss on here other than they did not leave because of the so CALLED low talent level

AND FINALLY EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS OUR TALENT IS DOWN AND YET EVERY YEAR WE ARE STILL RIGHT THERE so keep on saying what you want i will keep on supporting RIVERDALE NO MATTER WHAT

Excellent post. Observation by someone who has watched the Warriors for some time now.

Very valid remarks, oldbear. I was trying to point out that Coach A has accomplished so much over there that hasn't been realized. Riverdale is used to winning and used to going to the final game. It is really hard for the fans to see that things are just NOT the same over there anymore. They want to point the finger of blame to the coach instead of seeing that it comes down to the players. Yes, tradition and intimidation goes a long way, but when your talent is equal with others now, you don't always get the gold ring. You have to rely more on good coaching and to get the mmost out of what you do have. The kids coming in from Christiana are not getting the fundamentals that the kids from Central were getting in the past. We both know that you have to have those developed at a young age. The boys at Riverdale are having to learn general technique on varsity that they haven't ever gotten and that takes away valuable coaching time....that and not having 30 coaches on staff to work more efficiently. We know at OHS what a great disadvantage all of these things are. I have seen us at our best and I have seen us at our worst. I know the difference in not having the skill players we have had in the past. It comes in cycles.

What is the hold-up on hiring a DC? That has to hinder progress too.

Not really what I meant or was saying and Gaston and old Thomas made that 05 team better than 06...............much better. I think old Thomas was one of the better HS QB's I have seen in these parts. I thought he made them tick.

My comment or post was about the wing-t, which IMO is a very nice order of offense.............I like it and always have. You made comment about them not being able to score as much in 07 thus did not play subs much.............which everyone in the league in 07 had the same problem, but your comment alluded to the reason being the offense...........

My point was that with a similar group of players (old Thomas & Miller made 05 much better) they actually scored more point/game than in 05..............I simply meant that the offense was not the reason.

The 05 team was an excellent team.................probably the best in the state; they simply had a bad game

The 06 team was also an excellent team ...............probably the best in the state; they simply had a bad game AND Smyrna had ONE great piece of LUCK.

The 07 team ended up being a very solid team...............I really think (now this is my opinion only) they squeezed some every good results from that bunch. I really think were well coached AND did exactly what they needed to do on both sides of the ball. The 07 Riverdale bunch had ONE great strength and that was some teriffic lineman and not much else.

I know that a couple posters on here hate the offense and one poster is absolutely the final word on all things football..................but thats what makes the world go round.

Both Lavergne and Smyrna had them on the ropes at the end of the season.............the old mystique pulled it out for them, and then maybe Wilson Central tarnished the mystique a bit.............I thought their coaches did an excellent job this season; just maybe as good as it could be done..............IMO.

big blue

Dave thomas graduated in 04 his younger brother scott was the QB in 05...with our strength of OL we run 5-10 yards behind the line of scrimmage before they get to the line...think about this...vanhoose who is a prototypical WARRIOR (an average player that works his butt off)probably averaged about 10-15 yards a carry what if mcclain or lee had gotten the ball in that wide open space they are fast enough to have a person in the secondary miss or out run them...I felt that we passed enough to be respected BUT we didnt CATCH it enough...

Very valid remarks, oldbear. I was trying to point out that Coach A has accomplished so much over there that hasn't been realized. Riverdale is used to winning and used to going to the final game. It is really hard for the fans to see that things are just NOT the same over there anymore. They want to point the finger of blame to the coach instead of seeing that it comes down to the players. Yes, tradition and intimidation goes a long way, but when your talent is equal with others now, you don't always get the gold ring. You have to rely more on good coaching and to get the mmost out of what you do have. The kids coming in from Christiana are not getting the fundamentals that the kids from Central were getting in the past. We both know that you have to have those developed at a young age. The boys at Riverdale are having to learn general technique on varsity that they haven't ever gotten and that takes away valuable coaching time....that and not having 30 coaches on staff to work more efficiently. We know at OHS what a great disadvantage all of these things are. I have seen us at our best and I have seen us at our worst. I know the difference in not having the skill players we have had in the past. It comes in cycles.

What is the hold-up on hiring a DC? That has to hinder progress too.

My point is not only were the kids NOT playingknow how to play when they get ot high school they were not even playing at least now they are playing i think chrisitanna has a good coach in place now at least i hope as my twins are on the team lol

also what is the big deal about having 30 coaches on staff?..if the coaches are willing to coach why not let them i do not understand what the beef or problem with that is i did notice that smyrna has a few more coaches than what they usually had when u have 100 kids you need 30 coaches!!!

Whoa.....no beef about 30 coaches on staff whatsoever. That was a good thing for Riverdale and it showed in the prep for games and in the technique of the players. I am just saying it was a clear advantage for your program. When Shad had 6 like us at OHS, he didn't get the gold ring. He was spread wayyyyy too thin. Once his administrator was able to get him the staff that he needed, he was able to show more production on the field . It was clearly an asset for both schools. It hurt us last fall tremendously when we had to basically re-do our defensive staff b/c Ferg wanted coaches on one side of the ball. Since our D was a more solid staff, he took them from the D and put them on the O. So there was virtually a brand new group on D except for Moose and Mitchell Then when Mitchell left right as the season started for Smyrna, we were short a LB coach and we had to adjust again. It is a wonder the D did as well as it did. We had like 6 coaches at OHS, and now McDaniel has 19. We will see a huge difference with that number I f we don't something is seriously wrong! When a fellow has to coach on both sides of the ball, some position is always going to get a bit short-changed. Nature of the beast.....nothing against the coach. This is especilally true if your DC or your OC has to coach on both sides of the ball. Then it is difficult to make adjustments during a game. Once you can work more individually with the players, you will reap the rewards.

Whoa.....no beef about 30 coaches on staff whatsoever. That was a good thing for Riverdale and it showed in the prep for games and in the technique of the players. I am just saying it was a clear advantage for your program. When Shad had 6 like us at OHS, he didn't get the gold ring. He was spread wayyyyy too thin. Once his administrator was able to get him the staff that he needed, he was able to show more production on the field . It was clearly an asset for both schools. It hurt us last fall tremendously when we had to basically re-do our defensive staff b/c Ferg wanted coaches on one side of the ball. Since our D was a more solid staff, he took them from the D and put them on the O. So there was virtually a brand new group on D except for Moose and Mitchell Then when Mitchell left right as the season started for Smyrna, we were short a LB coach and we had to adjust again. It is a wonder the D did as well as it did. We had like 6 coaches at OHS, and now McDaniel has 19. We will see a huge difference with that number I f we don't something is seriously wrong! When a fellow has to coach on both sides of the ball, some position is always going to get a bit short-changed. Nature of the beast.....nothing against the coach. This is especilally true if your DC or your OC has to coach on both sides of the ball. Then it is difficult to make adjustments during a game. Once you can work more individually with the players, you will reap the rewards.

Mr. Raikes has always supported the football program. You can attribute the rise to the top of the bulldogs to three things, Gray, Wilks, and most of all coach Robbins.