Who is Rhea County's best players ever?

getusum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Andy Kelly is going to be the 1st name out of everyone's mouth but who are the other most notable players, when did they play, and what position did they play.

Charlie Gillespie- DL Played at Tennessee but nagging injuries ended his career

David/Steve Douglas- OL Both starred at Tennessee but Steve sufferred knee injury while David played professionaly in a stint with the Bengals among others. Father of Aaron Douglass

Alonzo "Chuggy" Banks- RB Excellent HS running back but lacked breakaway speed to play collegiately

All about 25 years ago

Matt Riggs- WR - 5 years ago- chose to play baseball and football at Tusculum but could have starred in football had he chose to specialize

Alex Shaver, Ryan Sharp- QB 5-7 years ago Very good high school qbs but lacked supporting cast with the exception of Matt Riggs

Also a d lineman many many years ago but i can't remember his name

And obviously Andy Kelly, you know the story

Fitzgerald was a very good D-linemen that played for Auburn until knee injuries,

James Garmany DB,WR,QB,PR,KR had offers from Auburn,Clemson,LSU,Tenn 2 time all state personal issues decided to stay in rhea and do nothing, guy is huge holds numerous records at the school...

Ryan Hackler played only his senior year 1,900 all purpose yards all state DB...

Alonso Banks,Matt Riggs, and the Douglas brothers,

This past year we had probably the most talented back field in school history with Julian Sharp

and Chris Roberts combined for something like 2,600 yds and 28 tds!!!

David/Steve Douglas- OL Both starred at Tennessee but Steve sufferred knee injury while David played professionaly in a stint with the Bengals among others. Father of Aaron Douglass

Alonzo "Chuggy" Banks- RB Excellent HS running back but lacked breakaway speed to play collegiately

All about 25 years ago

Matt Riggs- WR - 5 years ago- chose to play baseball and football at Tusculum but could have starred in football had he chose to specialize

Alex Shaver, Ryan Sharp- QB 5-7 years ago Very good high school qbs but lacked supporting cast with the exception of Matt Riggs

My dad also said Charles benton,Ray Fugate,Jesse Messimer, but would have to go with Kelly.Said the whole 85 and 86 team was loaded with kelly,fugate,cochran,hampton,cameron,everett,fitzgerald,fs(could not remember name)thurman twins but that was a little bit before my time though

My dad also said Charles benton,Ray Fugate,Jesse Messimer, but would have to go with Kelly.Said the whole 85 and 86 team was loaded with kelly,fugate,cochran,hampton,cameron,everett,fitzgerald,fs(could not remember name)thurman twins but that was a little bit before my time though

I believe i was thinking of benton aslo both the fitzgerald brothers were good jeremy walked on at UT and did see the field

Fitzgerald was a very good D-linemen that played for Auburn until knee injuries,

James Garmany DB,WR,QB,PR,KR had offers from Auburn,Clemson,LSU,Tenn 2 time all state personal issues decided to stay in rhea and do nothing, guy is huge holds numerous records at the school...

Ryan Hackler played only his senior year 1,900 all purpose yards all state DB...

Alonso Banks,Matt Riggs, and the Douglas brothers,

This past year we had probably the most talented back field in school history with Julian Sharp

and Chris Roberts combined for something like 2,600 yds and 28 tds!!!

are you sure that garmany had official offers from Auburn, Clemson, LSU and UT?

I find that hard to believe since he went to ETSU

I believe i was thinking of benton aslo both the fitzgerald brothers were good jeremy walked on at UT and did see the field

are you sure that garmany had official offers from Auburn, Clemson, LSU and UT?

I find that hard to believe since he went to ETSU

I'm pretty sure he did i'll talk to him and see whats up...

on the caleb wilson subject he has some passing records but

also owns the record for most career interceptions, he threw

7 against maryville his senior year...

I'm pretty sure he did i'll talk to him and see whats up...

on the caleb wilson subject he has some passing records but

also owns the record for most career interceptions, he threw

7 against maryville his senior year...

definitely true, wilson did have some interception problems, but part of the problem was the awful route running on part of the receivers when he was playing.

• 2 months later...

All about 25 years ago

No supporting cast? Rhea county had the most explosive offense in school history in the 98' football. Just to name a few: Courtney "coco" Taylor over 800 yards recieving 7 td receptons and set 2 school records in his first and only season at the school. Also led the team in interception and deflections in defense, was dangerous on special teams too.(3 tds) Had a game winning interception against soddy daisy, the best interception return in school history. i could keep going on forever about this kid. Marcus Pendergrass probably one of the best safties in the state, I also have never seen a running back run as hard as him. Put these guys in another school, and the D1 offers would've came.

Obviously, I think Andy Kelly is probably the best known. If I'm not mistaking he was All-American, and might possibly have been named HS player of the year? Don't quote me on that. Everyone knows how he ended up.

Matt Riggs was a great receiver. I wish he would have went D1 with one sport instead of going to Tusculum in route of dual sports. His speed was amazing. Even ran one track meet his senior year, and holds a handful of school records from that one meet.

Garmony was all over the field. Nobody could say enough about the things he did for RC football.

To answer a previous question about Caleb, I don't believe he is starting at University of the Cumberlands.