YOUTHCOACH16

Since this thread is on a high school football page, I was (am) assuming that your questions relate specifically to football.

Training a track sprinter to become faster involves different techniques than training a football player to become faster.

One of the areas you correctly identified is the aspect of core strength and flexibility, and more specific hip flexibility. This flexibility allows for quicker change of pace and acceleration. I don't think generally enough time is spent on creating a flexible, explosive hip girdle.

High school weight programs for linemen concentrate on the explosive end of hip strength. However, not much is done for the DB's, RB's, QB's or WR's to amplify the flexibility as well as strength.

It is interesting that many kids today really don't know how to run effectively. I think a large part of that is too many concentrating on one sport too soon. Running basepaths, changing directions on a basketball court, swimming for distance, stop and start acceleration in soccer, or riding your bike all the time; too many athletes do one and not all of these things that will make you more flexible and create a mental picture of the different types of strength you need to be an athlete.

Some of the speed coaches I have seen worked with Pilates a great deal as well as stretching exercises. Some have redescovered the medicine ball or bells. All of this, plus really running will improve the most athletes abilities.

Announcements