uni's

fuzby

It is a shame that $$$ from a shoe company influences a school's look. It's not like these schools don't receive enough cash from ticket sales, booster support, and now just about every 1A squad gets a kickback from the BCS because of their conference. Hey Swamp, don't put down the BIG EAST so much because as I see it they have the reigning National Champions and the SEC is 0 for ... against the BIG EAST in the Music City Bowl. How'd ya like them apples? A UConn Husky

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with you about the money situation in college football. I personally hate the new uniforms for Tennessee, especially that grossly large stripe on the pants now.

However, to compare the Big East and SEC on the football field is a no-brainer.

Big East loses.

You do have Miami, a fine football program with multiple National Championships and an equally large number of off-field arrests. The rest of your league is well-kept and run well but not known as yearly contenders for the big one. The SEC product is much more visable and desired when it comes to bowl games, television and those big shoe companies because the SEC has been known as one of the most dominant football conferences in the nation for a LONG time. I will agree that the gap has got much more narrow with the SEC and other conferences. I do feel, however, that the SEC is still the best and most visable football conference in America.

Call me crazy.

But remember when you do, you will be calling most of the so-called college football "experts" around the nation crazy as well. It's just a fact, the SEC is known for it's brand of gridiron.

Listen boys I didn't mean to rile you all up. I know that the SEC is hands down better than the BIG EAST in football. But don't give me that #7 vs #3 stuff. Georgia losing to BC last year, VT over Bama in the inaugural. Those 2 SEC programs should not loose to a BIG EAST squad with the recruits they get. I can see UK & Ole Miss losing to Syracuse & W. Virginia since they are all on about the same page (except UK) I believe that the top 4 BIG EAST schools (Miami, Cuse, VT, BC) could compete for the SEC title every year if you all say that Auburn, Georgia, SC, Miss St, & Arkansas all have a chance every year. I would have thrown in LSU to that group because they had been eratic prior to Saban. Not putting you guys down, but what do you think?

Ah, takes more than that to rile me up, but nice debate is fun.

I think Miami is the only one who could compete each year for the SEC Title. The others are hit or miss each year, depending on fortunate developement of average recruits. I have no data in front of me to prove it, but after watching the game a year or two, I feel that the SEC is much more dominate than the Big East. Everyone loves throwing the bowl matchups out there, but you have to remember playing an SEC regular-season schedule is a little more rigorous than playing a Big East one. I feel the biggest flaw for the SEC is that when bowl season comes along, they have already beat the heck out of each other. And of course, it is a fact that is the what hurts the SEC when it comes to the national championship.

Having one week to prepare for Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Alabama (I know they are down, but trust me, enjoy it while you can Bama haters)and even the mediocre SEC teams is a big advantage compared to having four weeks or more to prepare for the seventh-ranked SEC team in the Music City Bowl.

[Edited by TankTalk on 8/1/02 1:19P]

Yep...you have to disrespect Rockwood to rile up the tankster!

Anyway, I might throw VT in the mix. I never said Georgia was a contender for the SEC title. I'd put LSU and Bama with UT and UF.

I think it would be nice to see the ACC and Big Least merge... then we'd stop saying that FSU and Miami both play weak scheds...

I know that VU and UK aren't the powerhouses that Temple and Rutgers are, though...

Actually, the Big Least's bottom two teams are #7 and #8...

which means you would be comparing Temple and Rutgers to the middle of the pack in the SEC west....

Advantage: SEC!

Talking about Rockwood doesn't even rile me up...getting old I guess.

UConn? They have a football team?

You learn something every day.

(Waits for a Women's Basketball comment)

And something else...do you think Florida State and Miami have not had chances to be members of the SEC (along with other schools)? They have. And they wouldn't even consider it. You want to know why? Because they knew it would diminish their national championship hopes in the future playing in a league that is much more competative week to week.

[Edited by TankTalk on 8/1/02 1:48P]

It would be nice if I could convert this into an all-sports paper. But seeing as it is more of a hobby and been here for 20 years, doubt they will let me. But one day!!

Anyway, I miss doing what I used to do. This "real" reporting is for the birds. I guess it can be considered a stepping stone for getting something I like down the road here in middle Tennessee.