It's not just about scoring

Canesoverhere

We could debate this all day. To have a high scoring game every few years is hardly the same as the teams who consistently beat weaker teams by double digits over and over again. Once again, I applaud the coaches who choose to take the high road and respect their opponents. It says a lot about the type of coach you are and the values you are passing on to your players.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not taking sides one way or the other, but speaking of 'lip-stick on a pig.." CAK 15 - Loudon 0

For the record, G doesn't coach the CAK varsity girls. I saw this game and freshman/JV played half of period 1 and all but about 10 minutes of period 2. It appeared to me the Loudon players were not really interested in being on the field. Loudon actually took down the sideline canopy with 20 minues to play in the game. For most of the second half, CAK just moved the ball up and down the field between the 18s and worked on playing the ball back to the keeper. To me, that was more humiliating to Loudon than simply playing the game. Since such lop-sided games are possible in district play, why not end the game early - like a mercy rule that exists in baseball and softball? I'm not really sure why you would ask a freshman that will only get into a few games to avoid trying to score. It would seem better just to stop the game.

Don I will agree it happens, but I should not have to tell you that certain schools are known for running up the scores. And to be the bearer of bad news ND has that reputation.

I would disagree with that, with one exception. Looking at the last 4 years, ND during the regular season has had an average of +3.8 goals for the wins in 2005, +3.5 in 2006, +3.7 in 2007, and 1.7 in 2008 (so far). If you excluded a certain district opponent who really struggles in the district that ND plays every year, then the averages would be even lower. My exception (or agreement with your statement) involves the post season. I think any team (ND included) wants to be hitting on all cylinders in the post season, and will not pull any/few punches. I suspect that happened with SD last season when they played Collierville (0-6). Beyond that, I hope ND has a reputation of playing tough but fair. If that gets us the reputation of running up the scores, then so be it.

I think the biggest cause of lopsided scores is the general disparity in the quality/depth of teams in some cases within a specific district or region, then as we go into post season between regions.

I wonder, do the posters in the football section of coachT worry about lopsided scores and bad sportmanship? When UTC got their clock cleaned by Oklahoma 57-2 (50-0 at the half), did people cry foul?

Wasn??™t it our beloved Pat Summit who once said ???Its not my job to stop us from scoring.??? I feel that the onus should be put on the loosing coach. They have responsibilities in this matter as well, and they have the option to decide to call the game at the half, after all that is all that is required to make a complete match.

Okay. everybody get their opportunity to voice "their" opinion?

Now, back to the original directions.

What was the greatest comeback? DonC, you seem to have too much time on your hands, what is it? 4-0? 5-0?

The first thing we should try to do is identify the greatest comeback, then we will have a start to a foundation to build this thread upon. If you want to sling mud or put lipstick on a pig, start another thread.

So, what is it? 5-0? 6-0? 4-0?

Big G, I think you were just baited! ROF LOL!!!!

Kidding aside, I agree with 99% of what you shared but I TOOK YOUR ADVICE and wished to first gain an agreement by the elders what would be understood by all (well, most) as an insurmountable (H20Dog...correct my vocab/spelling) comeback. Then we can take the next logical step.

I think you just like my name. Somehow I seem to end up getting mentioned in a lot of your stuff. As for being your h2owatchdog, I am handing that baton over to DonC. He is much more articulate, types much faster, has all the records at his finger tips, does not play Collierville, and does not know who you are (although I did send him your picture).

I totally agree with the excessive scoring issue being wrong and have seen it get out of control by accident, meaning the team was not trying to score and it happened or they are told "headers only" and 2 hit the net in less than a minute. I think, as Don has shown, it has happened to every team, but the real issue, IMO, is continuous offenders. Let's not say every high scoring team is exhibiting Bad Sportsmanship, but the coaches that allow it to happen every time they get the opportunity are the poor sportsmen and not showing the kids proper leadership. I think one of the reasons this all started this season was the recent Notre Dame game. We all know that they are not a team that has games like that very often and knowing the real details of the game, I can not give them grief. For any of us to jump on a team because of the score is just looking for an opportunity to pounce. This whole discussion has gone to the development of a new topic, a study of half the teams in TN, a math lesson and a bunch of "my bucket is half full and yours is half empty" speeches. I don't really think that most of the teams that are represented on these boards are guilty of over-scoring, and most of our teams don't play the one's that are the real culprits.

One of the teams left out of the list was Lausanne in Memphis. They either get beat 9-0 or beat someone 10-0. I guess you have to understand that when they finally get a chance to play a lesser team, they want to dish out what they have been getting. Does that make them Bad Sports? May not be what we want to see, but I think I can look beyond that. I guess, I feel their pain.

So, after 20-30 replies, I guess the answer to the original question in the post, and everyone agrees that the greatest comeback witnessed in Tennessee Soccer History is: 3-0, In other words, a team scored three goals, and eventually lost the game 4-3.

Correct?

So, after 20-30 replies, I guess the answer to the original question in the post, and everyone agrees that the greatest comeback witnessed in Tennessee Soccer History is: 3-0, In other words, a team scored three goals, and eventually lost the game 4-3.

Correct?

Wasn??™t it our beloved Pat Summit who once said ???Its not my job to stop us from scoring.??? I feel that the onus should be put on the loosing coach. They have responsibilities in this matter as well, and they have the option to decide to call the game at the half, after all that is all that is required to make a complete match.

AMEN ! The second and third strings deserve to play hard also !!

Okay. everybody get their opportunity to voice "their" opinion?

Now, back to the original directions.

What was the greatest comeback? DonC, you seem to have too much time on your hands, what is it? 4-0? 5-0?

The first thing we should try to do is identify the greatest comeback, then we will have a start to a foundation to build this thread upon. If you want to sling mud or put lipstick on a pig, start another thread.

So, what is it? 5-0? 6-0? 4-0?

OK. Now you know I didn't type the above in 4 minutes. I've been working on my reply half the day. I read and responded to the comments on, "It's not just about scoring". Missed the "greatest comeback" part. Really have only two in mind, Last year when Collierville scored on SAA with 18 minutes left to tie and in '06 when SAA scored on Collierville close to the end of the game to win. Sorry, you expected that from me. LOL....

All joking aside, I have never seen a 4 point comeback at any age. Perhaps, a mercy rule should be considered. I know we have taken time off the game to end the punishment sooner and offered the team a chance to surrender, and they never want to quite. The down team wants to continue play with the better team, even though the scores is getting out of hand.

Of course, running the score up on a weaker team is not the only way a team can display bad sportsmanship. But this is something that a coach can control. While your list of teams who have posted some high scores is long, there are many traditionally strong soccer schools missing from your list (Baylor, Collierville, Siegel, Father Ryan, GPS, Germantown Houston, Brentwood Academy just to name a few) Great job to all the coaches who choose to take the high road.

Here is a little info about DonC??™s list of the ???violators??? of new Rule XII Sportsmanship. Between the 2005 season and today they have accumulated the following number of double digit games:

USJ 10

Grace Baptist Academy 8

Notre Dame 8

Riverdale 7 3 this year(so far); 5 - 9-0 games over the same time

Oak Ridge 6

Bearden 5

CAK 5

Seymour 5

The remaining teams on the list averaged 1 game a season or less double digit games over the same 3?? seasons. You are right those things happen. (One team managed an 18 ??“ 0 score) While the strong teams you mentioned had 1 or 0 double digit games over the same time frame.

It does not bother me (or most people) if a lot of goals are scored. What I believe demonstrates poor sportsmanship is when I see a score of 10 ??“ 0 and the box score list the teams top scorers with those 10 goals. Only 1 of the players in NDs 11-0 game was not listed in Chattanoogan points leaders list from the day before. That was playing the starters to pad the stats no matter how you look at it.