It's not just about scoring

Canesoverhere

I played my high school ball in Delaware (which definitely isn't Michican, but can be considered a reformed Yankee)! Thankfully, I am in "God's country" now, though!

GO BLUE HENS!

I played HS ball in slower Delaware and got our buts kicked pretty regularly by those private schools north of the canal in the late 70's (god I'm old). Dover started turning the corner and made it somewhat competative by my junior/senior year though they still had the edge. It was a different world back then and soccer was not at all big, yet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO BLUE HENS!

I played HS ball in slower Delaware and got our buts kicked pretty regularly by those private schools north of the canal in the late 70's (god I'm old). Dover started turning the corner and made it somewhat competative by my junior/senior year though they still had the edge. It was a different world back then and soccer was not at all big, yet.

Delaware has a very unique state championship now. If I understand it correctly from my neice, there is only one champion... period. All schools regardless of size or public/private compete. A school makes the tournament based on "points" they have earned in the regular season (more points awarded for playing a larger school or higher classification). I both like that and I don't at the same time.

I went to Concord High school in Wilmington. We never qualified for the state tournament, but soccer up in the late 1980's in Delaware was still miles ahead of where TN was in general. TN soccer has come a LOOOOONG way since then.

G, are you saying you played your high school ball in the late 80's? I didn't think you were that old, I mean, ur pushing fowler age if that is the case. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Are you on the botox or something? Is that how you stay the "fairest".

Sorry couldn't resist. I figure I'm going to get some special attention in paintballapalooza.

G, are you saying you played your high school ball in the late 80's? I didn't think you were that old, I mean, ur pushing fowler age if that is the case. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sorry couldn't resist. I figure I'm going to get some special attention in paintballapalooza.

Llkely... friendly fire

I've already gone into training. My "Hover-round" is equipped with rocket paintball launchers and my cane is laser guided. My grey hair will help camoflauge me in the wilderness. Akula doesn't stand a chance. He is too big of a target... how could I miss?!? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Personally, Canes, I am a little worried about "friendly fire" myself. Luckily I move too fast to be worried. Akula isn't as swift...

I've already gone into training. My "Hover-round" is equipped with rocket paintball launchers and my cane is laser guided. My grey hair will help camoflauge me in the wilderness. Akula doesn't stand a chance. He is too big of a target... how could I miss?!? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Personally, Canes, I am a little worried about "friendly fire" myself. Luckily I move too fast to be worried. Akula isn't as swift...

Well, when the starting whistle blows, and your back feels like your in a vibrating chair, you'll know your friends from your enemies.....

as some of the kids like to say "OH, SNAP!!!", I may not be as fleet of feet as I used to be. But let me remind you I have a contract to hire my brother and some of his buddys from Blackwater as coaches/paintball consultants for a day. Just so happens they will be on my team the day we play. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

unfortunately, and in all seriousness /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> , I am with G on the fear of friendly fire. I can totally see our two teams turning on the coaches and just blowing us up for a laugh after all the fitness and training over winter. Looking back I'd do it to me and him if I were a player and had the chance.

And for the record, Paintball hurts! I thought those kids were just kinda soft, but I can't lie, I am wearing an extra shirt or 5 next time.

Delaware has a very unique state championship now. If I understand it correctly from my neice, there is only one champion... period. All schools regardless of size or public/private compete. A school makes the tournament based on "points" they have earned in the regular season (more points awarded for playing a larger school or higher classification). I both like that and I don't at the same time.

I went to Concord High school in Wilmington. We never qualified for the state tournament, but soccer up in the late 1980's in Delaware was still miles ahead of where TN was in general. TN soccer has come a LOOOOONG way since then.

Nice to meet other Delawareans on CoachT. Myself, I'm a William Penn Colonial. Not to tell my age, but I graduated long before soccer became a school sport. Ended up at William Penn when the state consoldiated the Gunning Bedford and William Penn districts. I'm older and wiser now, realize it would have been more beneficial to have consolidated with Middletown.

While not a High School game, this past summer I witnessed a team of "players to watch" in TN HS soccer in the comming years. In the Division 1 State Cup final, the u14 team out of Chattanooga battled back from 3 goals down at the half to tie the game in regulation and won 4-3 in OT against a very strong team out of Memphis. It was an exciting display of determination and skill by some very talented girls. The game drew nearly everyone at the complex over to watch. I travel nationwide to watch soccer and TN youth soccer has not yet begun to make a mark, however, if that game is any indication of Tennesee's soccer future - it is finally moving in the right direction.

Was that the REDOUBT u-14 last year ?